Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Hello,...Need help getting started.

Post Thanks / Like

Pongo, Welcome to The Fret.

I am a Newb as well, both to guitar, and to the board. I'm homing in on my first acoustic purchase. I was a bit intimidated by the guitar shops at first as well, but my advice is find sometime on a weekday afternoon when there is noone in them, find one that you like, and find a salesman (or better yet, manager/owner) that you like and feel is trustworthy to give you honest and knowledgable advice. If they act like they don't have time for you, this is not where you want to buy a guitar anyway. I've got a shop across the street from my house where I carry my son in his carseat into the store, sit down with 5 or 6 different guits, and mess around practicing chords and stuff on them all until he wakes up. I've decided that this is where I'm going to buy my guitar, its just a matter of when.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Krashpad
    Second, if you learn on an acoustic, playing electric a little later will be cake. Not so vice-versa.
    I'd say that is exactly why getting an electric first is the best bet. It helps to lower the "barre" early so you can progress quickly. Once you're hooked, you're hooked & you'll brave any challenge.
    I pick a moon dog.

Post Thanks / Like

I finally took the plunge this last Thursday. I ended up going with what felt best at the time, and I'm very happy with things so far.

I managed to get blisters on 3 fingers right away the first night, but they have gone away now and haven't come back yet. Unfortunately I've been working long hours and getting over being sick so I haven't had as much time as I would like. Right now I'm trying to get my fingers into the right positions playing some chords, just to get used to things for a bit. As soon as things clear up a bit I'm going to try to find a book or instructional DVD to get started with.

Post Thanks / Like

So what did you end up with?
    -Kodiak
    Guitars:
    Washburn Idol 64 DL w/GFS Dream 180 pups
    Washburn X-33 w/GFS 60's-70's Grey Bottom Non Stagger Overwound
    Stagg G300 SG w/GFS Power Rails
    Art & Lutherie Acoustic

Post Thanks / Like

For the amp I bought a pocket pod, and for the guitar I ended up going with the Hohner OSC archtop.

Here's the guitar,... I got the black version.
    http://www.hohnerusa.com/index.php?1537

I honestly don't know if it was the "best" choice, but it seemed like the nicest guitar for my budget. So far I really like it a lot, but I'm sure that would have been true with anything.

Post Thanks / Like

Well, I know absolutely nothing about them, but it looks nice.

If you like it and it makes oyu want to play it, then it was a good choice in my book!
    -Kodiak
    Guitars:
    Art & Lutherie Acoustic

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kodiak3D
    Well, I know absolutely nothing about them, but it looks nice.

If you like it and it makes oyu want to play it, then it was a good choice in my book!
    all i know is i think prince plays a honer tele style guitar....if it's good enough for him they are probably alright....like kodiak says....if it feels good to you than it is a good choice!

ww
    Quote Originally Posted by just strum
    For the record, my annoyance with Warren has a lot to do with the hissing noises he makes.
    Guitars: Gibson 1998 Les Paul Special : Peavey Predator (Early 90's Fat Strat Copy) : Ibanez GAX30TR
    Brownsville Reso - 101 Electric Reso : Fender GDO-300 Maple Quilt Top Acoustic

Amps: Fender Super Champ XD

Effects: Digitech RP250 Modeling Guitar Processor : DVM "Phased and Confused" Script Phaser Clone : Digitech Bad Monkey
    Danelectro Cool Cat Chorus : Behringer Distortion Modeler : Ernie Ball Volume Pedal : Dunlop Cry Baby Wah

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the comments.

I actually spent a few days thinking about it before I finally made the decision. I don't have any brand loyalty at this point, but I was a bit afraid to go with something I had never heard of. Fortunately I saw a lot of positive comments about it through a bit of searching the web.

I had been looking so much at strats that I thought for sure I would go for one of those, but If I keep at this I'm sure I'll eventually buy another guitar, and at that time I'll be able to try things out a bit more to help decide.

I've been doing some more playing around tonight. Loving every second of it! I really need to get some training materials soon!

Post Thanks / Like

Well, the book I'm learning from is Mel Bay's Modern Guitar Method Grade 1. It teaches to read music and goes one string at a time. It says it's "Modern" guitar, but it really has a more classical approach.

I've really felt like I've learned a lot and I've only been at it for about 3 weeks. Of course I've also looked around on the net for some guitar tabs to songs I like and worked on them as well.
    -Kodiak
    Guitars:
    Art & Lutherie Acoustic

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Congrats Pongo! I know nothing about that guitar, but it sure looks nice, and I really believe in buying the one that feels right to you. Welcome to the journey!
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Amphs: Peavey Classic 30, '61 Fender Concert
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

love is the answer, at least for most of the questions in my heart. . .
    - j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Pongo
    For the amp I bought a pocket pod, and for the guitar I ended up going with the Hohner OSC archtop.

Here's the guitar,... I got the black version.
    http://www.hohnerusa.com/index.php?1537

I honestly don't know if it was the "best" choice, but it seemed like the nicest guitar for my budget. So far I really like it a lot, but I'm sure that would have been true with anything.
    Very interesting choice Pongo!

Did you get the ARCH I or the ARCH II?

ie is there a humbucker or single coil at the neck?

It's not clear (at least to me) whether these are solid body with an arched cap, or hollow or semi-hollw. Do you know?
    I pick a moon dog.

Post Thanks / Like

Mine has the HSH configuration.

The body is all solid.

Post Thanks / Like

here are a few pics.

Post Thanks / Like

nice looking guitar pongo....i'm sure you will love it!

ww
    Quote Originally Posted by just strum
    For the record, my annoyance with Warren has a lot to do with the hissing noises he makes.
    Guitars: Gibson 1998 Les Paul Special : Peavey Predator (Early 90's Fat Strat Copy) : Ibanez GAX30TR
    Brownsville Reso - 101 Electric Reso : Fender GDO-300 Maple Quilt Top Acoustic

Amps: Fender Super Champ XD

Effects: Digitech RP250 Modeling Guitar Processor : DVM "Phased and Confused" Script Phaser Clone : Digitech Bad Monkey
    Danelectro Cool Cat Chorus : Behringer Distortion Modeler : Ernie Ball Volume Pedal : Dunlop Cry Baby Wah

Post Thanks / Like

Nice axe! I really like the finish on it.
    -Kodiak
    Guitars:
    Art & Lutherie Acoustic

Post Thanks / Like

Nice axe there man, I'm sure you will enjoy it and I'm sure if you check out Mark's web site you will find plenty of lessons that can help you.
    :

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by street music
    Nice axe there man, I'm sure you will enjoy it and I'm sure if you check out Mark's web site you will find plenty of lessons that can help you.
    :

What web site is this?

Post Thanks / Like

www.markwein.com
    He has a lot of good lessons there.:http://www.dolphinstreet.com/ is Roberts site and it too has some great lessons.

Post Thanks / Like

Nice looking guit, Pongo! I can only echo what everyone else said, as long as you like playing it, that's what counts.
    For what it's worth, the DVD I picked up to start with was Fender- Getting Started, with Keith Wyatt. I have enjoyed it and I feel like it gave me a good foundation so I didn't feel as lost when I started lessons.
    I also spent a lot of time online- there are a ton of free video lessons out there.

Good luck and sweet playing!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123