Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hello,...Need help getting started.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Hello,...Need help getting started.

Hello all,

I just want to introduce myself to everyone, and ask for a bit of advice at the same time.

I'm looking at buying my first electric guitar soon, but I need a slight push in the right direction. I'm 38, and I've never touched a guitar in my life, so I don't feel I can walk into a store and try things out. My end goal is to be able to play some things purely for my own entertainment.

I figure my budget to be around $300. I'd like to keep it around that or less if possible. Since I'm starting from scratch, I will need at least the guitar, amp, and tuner to fit in that range.

Anyways, I've been looking a lot at the Squier HSS affinity packs. They have one that comes with a bullet 150 amp, and another that comes with a GDEC junior. I like the GDEC junior, but that version busts my budget by a bit. I'm thinking about looking at a used guitar with something like the GDEC junior to keep within my budget. This is where the inexperience comes in again. I'm a bit afraid to walk into a used shop and find something that works for me. I simply don't know enough about what I am looking at to know whether it is decent or not.

To be honest, at this point I'm not even sure what styles I want to play. I like Stevie Ray Vaughan stuff, and growing up in the 80's means that I would like to be able to create some metal sounds as well. This is why I'm looking at the HSS version over the SSS version. (I'm thinking that it will give a better options for distortion sounds) I have no particular attachment to any brand, so I'd like to hear any suggestions. I like the 2 amps mentioned because they affer me a variety of effects to play around with, and I'm open to anything that does something similar.

Thanks for listening.

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome!!Im sure others can help you on guitar choices!!
    "I love being alive and I will be the best man I possibly can. I will take love wherever I find it and offer it to whoever will take it... seek knowledge from those wiser and teach those who wish to learn from me."
    "Develop your talent, man, and leave the world something. Records are really gifts from people. To think that an artist would love you enough to share his music with anyone is a beautiful thing."
    Duane Skydog Allman

You come to a point in your life when you really don't care what people think about you, you just care what you think about yourself." - Evel Knievel

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like a HSS would be a good choice. Do you have any friends who play guitar? They could help when you go shopping to determine if one is good or not. You might also want to check out SX guitars at Rondo Music. I know that Robert has an SX Strat pack. I've played the Ibanez Strats that come with their packs. It was surprisingly nice.
    Axen: Jackson DK2M, Fender Deluxe Nashville Telecaster, Reverend Warhawk 390, Taylor 914ce, ESP LTD Surveyor-414
    Amphen: Jet City JCA22H and JCA12S cab, Carvin X-60 combo, Acoustic B20
    Effecten: "Thesis 96" Overdrive/Boost (aka DVM OD2), Hardwire DL-8 Digital Delay/Looper, DigiTech Polara Reverb, DigiTech EX-7 Expression Factory and CF-7 Chorus Factory, Danelectro CF-1 Cool Cat Fuzz
    "I wish Imagine Dragons would be stuck in an Arcade Fire for an entire Vampire Weekend."--Brian Posehn

Northern Ohio - Near Cleveland - Home of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame http://www.rockhall.com/
    Post Thanks / Like

Hello Pongo,

You are about to get a lot of opinions, so you will have to sort it out. Each of us have our own thoughts on the subject and some of our opinions will cross over. I'm relatively a beginner so rather than recommendations, I will give you comments and opinion on where you are headed.

1) While you may like SRV and 80's stuff, your music variety is about to open up. However, considering that is where you want to start, I would agree a Squier would be a option. I would also check out guitars at Rondo Music http://www.rondomusic.com/electricguitar.html as another place to look.

2) Try to save your budget, but don't skimp to the point you pick up a crappy guitar because it will discourage you from progressing. You should be able to easily get a guitar below $300. Find a friend to help out or post questions here as you get interest in specific models.

3) I have a Fender 150 - my opinion, they suck. I'm not sure about the other you noted, but I viewed it on one of the web stores and it has nice features. Again, there are people here that can point you in the right direction, but they will be several directions.

So, with that said - welcome, I think you will find this place helpful, friendly and fun. Good luck on your journey of learning guitar and remember, it's meant to be enjoyable.
    Mark
    * Loud is good, good is better!

Northern Ohio - Near Cleveland - Home of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame http://www.rockhall.com/
    Post Thanks / Like

Looks like marnold and I are on the same page, but I'm a slower typist.
    Mark

Post Thanks / Like

Hey Pongo...

I was exactly in your position a little more than a year ago. I was a 33 year old beginner with no idea what to get, and the guitar stores seemed a little too "scary." I wound up ordering a Squier '51 for $99 based on Robert's videos of it at www.dolphinstreet.com, a small practice amp, a cable, a strap, and a tuner - all for a little under $300. I've since moved on from the amp, but still have and play the Squier '51 despite that I don't sound like Robert. What is your practice situation? I ask this because I have a family that is trying to sleep at the times I have available to practice, so I can barely use my amp in my house. I practice in the room where my computer is, so I use my headphones with my Line 6 Toneport GX most of the time. Toneport GX is a box you plug into your PC via USB and comes with software that emulates many different amps and effects, sounds great, a tuner is built into the software, and it does much more than I mentioned all for just $69.

I would think a Squier HSS strat would be a good choice, but I am not an expert. I would recommend making sure you pick a guitar you like so that you will be inclined to pick it up and play it.
    Guitars: MIM Fender FSR Limited Edition Stratocaster with direct mount pickups, Schecter C-1 Plus, SX SST57 Powder Blue, Alvarez RD8 Accoustic

Amps: Line6 Spidervalve 112

Effects: Digitech Bad Monkey, Danelectro Cool Cat Chorus, GFS Delay, GFS Tuner, Behringer HB01 wah, Line6 Toneport GX, GuitarRig 3

Post Thanks / Like

Oh, one more thing - should you stick with it, this is not going to be the last guitar and amp you buy.

Have you ever heard of the guitar gear term GAS? You should acquaint yourself with it now.

When Tot comes along he will explain it to you if you are not aware of what it means.
    Mark

Post Thanks / Like

Hey Pongo, welcome aboard. There are a lot of very knowledgeable folks around here with good information. They'll have you playing in no time.
    Guitars and other stringed instruments: Washburn D10S, Washburn EA52SWCE, Washburn Cumberland J28SDL, Washburn D46S12, D'Aquisto Centura, Rover RM-50B Mando

Amps and Cabs: Behringer AT108, Firefly Tube Amph, Blackheart Little Giant BH5H, Shiner's Custom Cab v.1.0

". . . because without beer, things do not seem to go as well . . ." Brother Epp, Capuchin Monastery, Munjor, Kansas 1902

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome to The Fret Pongo.

Something to consider - You can get a guitar and amp for $300 but if you stick with playing you'll outgrow both at some point. If it's at all possible to double that amount you can find a guitar and amp that will still make you proud years later.
    Dreadman
    My Guitars

I didn't hear ya, there was something bluesy in my ear

Post Thanks / Like

welcome pongo....this is a great forum....i think you will like it here....

ww :

note: this welcome copyrighted 2008...no unauthorized use of this welcome will be tolerated
    Quote Originally Posted by just strum
    For the record, my annoyance with Warren has a lot to do with the hissing noises he makes.
    Guitars: Gibson 1998 Les Paul Special : Peavey Predator (Early 90's Fat Strat Copy) : Ibanez GAX30TR
    Brownsville Reso - 101 Electric Reso : Fender GDO-300 Maple Quilt Top Acoustic

Amps: Fender Super Champ XD

Effects: Digitech RP250 Modeling Guitar Processor : DVM "Phased and Confused" Script Phaser Clone : Digitech Bad Monkey
    Danelectro Cool Cat Chorus : Behringer Distortion Modeler : Ernie Ball Volume Pedal : Dunlop Cry Baby Wah

Camrose, Alberta, Canada - used to be Umea Sweden.
    Post Thanks / Like

Welcome Pongo! The SX packs are not bad for the money. The little SX amp also sounds pretty good.
    The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.
    Master Guitar Academy - I also teach via SKYPE.

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome and lesson to these guys, it might be your first but if you have the desire it WILL NOT BE YOUR LAST.

Post Thanks / Like

hiya, Pongo... this is a great place.

good luck on your journey, never give up, and these guys/gals are the greatest with support and information.

have fun!
    2006 Washburn WD55SW Augusta, 2006 Washburn J28S12DL, Washburn EA20SDL,
    2008 American Standard Fender Telecaster
    2008 Rondo Limited Edition SST, G&L ASAT Semi-Hollow, Gibson LP Ultra

Post Thanks / Like

Wow,... thanks for all the responses, now I have a bunch of new things to research.

At this point I'm taking all the info I can get. It's better to have to sort through a bunch than not knowing anything.

As for my home situation, it sounds very similar to what jasongins said,... I have 2 kids now with a 3rd arriving in the fall. My practice time will be mostly at night when everyone else is sleeping, so I'm planning on using headphones quite a bit.

Thanks again for the friendly welcome.

Post Thanks / Like

When I first started this was my order summary from Musiciansfriend.com:
    (July of '06)

1 20 Foot Musicians Gear Instrument Cable 1/4" Straight 20 Foot $3.99
    1 Blue Moto Medium Fender 351 Premium Celluloid Guitar Picks Medium $2.99
    1 Behringer GM110 V-Tone Analog Modeling Combo Amp $69.99
    1 2-Tone Sunburst Squier by Fender Affinity Series Stratocaster Special Electric Guitar 2-Tone Sunburst $149.99
    1 Fender Standard Gigbag for Strat/Tele $0.00 (free at the time)
    1 Musician's Friend CT440 Chromatic Tuner $14.99
    1 Fender Mist and Wipe by Meguiar s $7.99
    1 Black Musician's Gear Tubular Guitar Stand $7.99

Grand total with shipping: $257.93

The only thing I might recommend is getting a lightly better amp. The Behringer did the job, but it wasn't that impressive. The Line 6 Spider III seems popular, and is only $99. That would STILL roll you in under $300.

I DID, however, forget to order a strap...about $15 for a decent one.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kodiak3D
    When I first started this was my order summary from Musiciansfriend.com:
    (July of '06)

1 20 Foot Musicians Gear Instrument Cable 1/4" Straight 20 Foot $3.99
    1 Blue Moto Medium Fender 351 Premium Celluloid Guitar Picks Medium $2.99
    1 Behringer GM110 V-Tone Analog Modeling Combo Amp $69.99
    1 2-Tone Sunburst Squier by Fender Affinity Series Stratocaster Special Electric Guitar 2-Tone Sunburst $149.99
    1 Fender Standard Gigbag for Strat/Tele $0.00 (free at the time)
    1 Musician's Friend CT440 Chromatic Tuner $14.99
    1 Fender Mist and Wipe by Meguiar s $7.99
    1 Black Musician's Gear Tubular Guitar Stand $7.99

Grand total with shipping: $257.93

The only thing I might recommend is getting a lightly better amp. The Behringer did the job, but it wasn't that impressive. The Line 6 Spider III seems popular, and is only $99. That would STILL roll you in under $300.

I DID, however, forget to order a strap...about $15 for a decent one.
    that first strum - priceless
    Mark

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome to TheFret, Pongo! Glad you joined us here.
    The SX guitars are a good value.
    The Microcube amphs are good, also.
    You might want to research whatever amph you end up buying to be sure it has a headphone output. Nice for when you don't want to wake the family.
    Guitars
    Wilburn Versatare, '52 FrankenTele(Fender licensed parts), Fender USA Roadhouse Strat, Fender USA Standard B-bender Telecaster, Agile AL 3000 w/ WCR pickups, Ibanez MIJ V300 Acoustic, Squier Precision Bass,
    Amps
    Ceriatone Overtone Special, Musicman 212 Sixty-Five, Fender Blues Jr., Peavey Classic 30, Fender Super Reverb, Traynor YCV-40 WR Anniversary w/ matching 1x12 ext. cab, Epiphone SoCal 50w head w/ matching 4x12 cab (Lady Luck speakers), Avatar 2x12 semi-open back cab w/ Celestion speakers
    Pedals
    Digitech Bad Monkey, Digitech Jamman, DVM's ZYS, Goodrich volume pedal

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by just strum
    Have you ever heard of the guitar gear term GAS? You should acquaint yourself with it now.

When Tot comes along he will explain it to you if you are not aware of what it means.
    Not me, but I see a monkey mumbling something about TONE under his breath.

Pongo, I know exactly where you're at. I started playing a little over 2 years ago at 44, having never played any instrument at all in my life.

Those guitar stores are SCARY for a newb. People always say bring a guitar playing friend (eg Marnold) & that is an excellent idea *if* you have a guitar playing friend.

What I did was get a used Godin ($150)

actually 2 of them

on eBaY (my first eBaY purchase). They are still my only guitars & I like them alot.

(yes, yes, I know Monkey-boy. I *need* a new axe...tone & whatnot n' such. Now be quiet!)

They are very good guitars for the price. I'd also look at the Xaviere guitars, you can get one for $149.

I'd see if you could push that budget a bit (especially for guitar + amp). You are about to spend alot of time with your new friends.

The headphone bit is key for a beginner. It's not just about waking the family. Headphones help you not be shy about all the mistakes & clams your are about to make.

I spent most of the first two years using headphones through a VOX Tonelab. I much prefer playing through an amp, but it's a godsend when my wife wants it quiet, or I'm learning something new & don't care to broadcast my fumblings.
    I pick a moon dog.

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome to TheFret, Pongo!
    I was in a very similar situation in 2002. I ended up getting an Ibanez jumptart package. I liked the playability of the guitar, especially the thin neck for my beginner's fretting hand.

In the meantime I got rid of, pretty much all the pieces from that package, except for a fuzz pedal and cables. So, if I was to do it again, I would go for a guitar and an amp of slightly higher quality, keepers - in other words.

In either instance, you'll get a ton of good advice.
    Guitars: '05 MIA Fender Strat HSS, '04 MIA Fender Strat SSS, '03 Burns Steer, '83 Hondo LP copy (project)

Amps: Fender Blues Jr., Line 6 Spider II 112

Pedals: Boss BD-2, Boss CS-3, Boss DS-1, Ibanez TS9DX, Ibanez AW7, Ibanez FZ7, DigiTech Bad Monkey, BYOC Lazy Sprocket (in progress - almost there), Danelectro Cool Cat Chorus.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast