Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
NItro: Will the neck always be sticky?

Thread: NItro: Will the neck always be sticky?

North of the Equator: I am a Southerner, Southern Ontario!
    Post Thanks / Like

Default NItro: Will the neck always be sticky?

I asked this question over on the Gibson site as well but I thought I would run it by you guys.
    I recently purchased a Gibson Studio. I will admit it is very new, being built on Jan 8, 2008 according to the serial number.
    Before I play my guitars I always wash and dry my hands to keep the crud off the neck and strings. I am finding that the Gibson's neck gets sticky very quickly. I wipe it down and it only lasts for 10 mins. I have a 1990 ES 335 and it has a similar problem but not to the same extent.
    I was wondering if you guys get the same results, and is there anything that I can do to lessen it. I try not to put wax on the back of the neck.
    I don't have this issue with my Elitist Les Paul of course it is not nitro.
    The Blues is alright!

Guitars: 1968 Gibson SG, 2005 Gibson SG Standard, 2006 Gibson LP Classic Gold top, 2004 Epiphone Elitist LP Custom, 1996 Gibson Les Paul Standard. 2001 Epiphone Sheraton II, 2007 Epiphone G400.
    Fender Strats: 1996 Fender 68 Reissue CIJ, 2008 Squier CV 50s, 2009 Squier CV 50s Tele Butterescotch Blonde

Amps: Blues Junior Special edition Jensen in Brown Tolex with Wheat front, 65 Deluxe Reverb reissue,1970 Sonax reverb by Traynor, Avatar Custom 2/12 Cabinet with Eminence Legend V1216 speakers,
    2008 DSL100 Marshall Amp , Fender Super Champ XD,Fender Vibro Champ XD

Effects and Pedals: Fulltone Fulldrive II, Fulltone OCD, Fulltone Mini Deja Vibe, Fulltone Fat Boost, Dunlop Crybaby Wah, Boss DS1, Boss DD20 Giga Delay, Boss TU2 tuner, Boss BD2, Ibanez TS9 Tube screamer, Zoom 505. Radial tonebone hot british.

Camrose, Alberta, Canada - used to be Umea Sweden.
    Post Thanks / Like

I rub my necks with steel wool, which takes off the glossy finish and takes away the stickiness.
    The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.
    Master Guitar Academy - I also teach via SKYPE.

Post Thanks / Like

I finally googled the issue and it seems there are several ways of looking at it. The steel wool way, or a harder wax. I have used that type of tecnique on my collector cars to take out imperfections in the paint and polish them up but I can't bring myself to put steel wool on my brand new guitar.
    I am not too optomistic about it going away any time soon. My 18 year old ES335 has the same issue. There must be other solutions,(no pun intended).
    The Blues is alright!

Guitars: 1968 Gibson SG, 2005 Gibson SG Standard, 2006 Gibson LP Classic Gold top, 2004 Epiphone Elitist LP Custom, 1996 Gibson Les Paul Standard. 2001 Epiphone Sheraton II, 2007 Epiphone G400.
    Fender Strats: 1996 Fender 68 Reissue CIJ, 2008 Squier CV 50s, 2009 Squier CV 50s Tele Butterescotch Blonde

Amps: Blues Junior Special edition Jensen in Brown Tolex with Wheat front, 65 Deluxe Reverb reissue,1970 Sonax reverb by Traynor, Avatar Custom 2/12 Cabinet with Eminence Legend V1216 speakers,

Effects and Pedals: Fulltone Fulldrive II, Fulltone OCD, Fulltone Mini Deja Vibe, Fulltone Fat Boost, Dunlop Crybaby Wah, Boss DS1, Boss DD20 Giga Delay, Boss TU2 tuner, Boss BD2, Ibanez TS9 Tube screamer, Zoom 505. Radial tonebone hot british.

Post Thanks / Like

Finger-ease.

I always have a few cans of the stuff around. I've been using it since back when most guitar necks had a lacquer finish.

Post Thanks / Like

Something else to try. It might sound wacky but I've had good luck with doing it.
    If you still have hair left try running your fretting hand through it a couple of times. You will end up with your body's natural oil on your hand and it may work as a lubricant. It could be that when you wash your hands you are removing all the natural oils and it makes the nitro neck seem stickier.

"No Tele For you." - The Tele Nazi

Ha! Tele-ish now inbound.

Post Thanks / Like

Yea that is one thing I still have a lot of. LOL The only problem it is of the silver variety. If I do that I will just get a lot of hair gel, that is just as sticky. But I will try anything before I put anything abrasive on it.
    The nitro is very new on the Studio and when I open the case I get this huge waft of vanilla smell all through the room. I kinda like it!
    The Blues is alright!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Robert
    I rub my necks with steel wool, which takes off the glossy finish and takes away the stickiness.

Yep, the same do I.

Usually glossed necks stay sticky 'til the end of time.
    "A lot of people in the industry want to blame downloading for the state of the business. But I think if most music wasn't shit to begin with people wouldn't be downloading it for free," - Corey Taylor (Slipknot)

Post Thanks / Like

Something I have found is that the acid in your hands can eat into finishes. If you look at a piece of wood furniture where your hands rest, the finish is soft and you can dig your finger nail into it. Some finishes are worse than others. The poly stuff does not seem to be effected much but the varnish, shellac and lacquer can be softened by the acid in your hands. Another example is around most door knobs on doors that have these finishes. They chip easily and can be soft and sticky. On humid days they seem to be worse. I think something to clean the surface of the acid and then apply something to seal it might help.

Robert, When you remove the stickyness with the steel wool you may remove some finish as well and over time you may end up getting close to bare wood. Just be careful.

Just a thought.

M29

Northern Ohio - Near Cleveland - Home of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame http://www.rockhall.com/
    Post Thanks / Like

Baby powder - think cue stick.
    Mark
    * Loud is good, good is better!

Post Thanks / Like

From what I understand some peoples body chemistry reacts with nitrocelluose lacquer to soften it. When the back of a guitars neck and/or where the forearm rubs is dark and worn you can be sure it's a lacquer finish and someone with that chemistry played it a lot.

For the forearm area a long sleeve shirt is recommended. If the back of the neck is enough of a problem it should be refinished with polymer or cyanoacrolate. Yup, CA glue - superglue. It gives a glossy, protective finish and is super slippery.

Here's a CA finish test I did on a test lamination -

It's tough to see (on the top side) but sure enough it feels great. I've read a few times that Eric Clapton has this done to all his guitar necks (but who knows).
    Dreadman
    My Guitars

I didn't hear ya, there was something bluesy in my ear

Camrose, Alberta, Canada - used to be Umea Sweden.
    Post Thanks / Like

M29 - that's okay. I don't worry too much about it. No warped necks so far! Thanks for the concern though.
    The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.
    Master Guitar Academy - I also teach via SKYPE.

Post Thanks / Like

A friend who I used to play guitar with, had one of those acidic systems. I hated it when he would play one of my guitars because no matter how quickly I would wipe the strings down after he played it, the corrosive effect had already started on the strings.

Post Thanks / Like

Just Strum. I recently purchased the 07 Crossroads DVD and I saw Jeff Beck grabbing a handful of powder before, and during his set. I thought he was going to do a routine on the high bar, lol. I have never seen that before.
    I guess I will just have to keep wiping until the nitro is all off. I am probably one of those acidic people. I really am tough on strings. I need to wipe them down after I play or they are barbed wire the next time I pick up the guitar.
    The Blues is alright!

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by just strum
    Baby powder - think cue stick.
    That was half the solution I came up with. I used to clean with water, a tiny spash of soap (very tiny), and a tiny splash of rubbing alcohol, all put on a soft cloth to rub down the neck and de-stickify it. I don't know enough about chemistry to really be able to advise the rubbing alcohol for anyone but me, but for what it's worth it didn't seem to damage the finish in the tiny amount I used.

Once I de-gunked the neck as above, and got it good and dry with another soft cloth, then I'd occasionally put on baby powder.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Krashpad
    That was half the solution I came up with. I used to clean with water, a tiny spash of soap (very tiny), and a tiny splash of rubbing alcohol, all put on a soft cloth to rub down the neck and de-stickify it. I don't know enough about chemistry to really be able to advise the rubbing alcohol for anyone but me, but for what it's worth it didn't seem to damage the finish in the tiny amount I used.

Once I de-gunked the neck as above, and got it good and dry with another soft cloth, then I'd occasionally put on baby powder.
    I don't know about the effect that a 70% isopropyl alcohol diluted with water and a little soap would have on nitro lacquer, but avoid denatured alcohol like the plague! I use denatured alcohol with steel wool to strip lacquer. Makes me wonder if all alcohol has the same effect to varying degree.

Maybe that's exactly what was happening when you used your alcohol mixture, Brian. Maybe the lacquer was partially melting and somehow bonding with the soap before drying. I'm no chemist either, but it would at least seem possible to this layman.

Post Thanks / Like

When my LP Standard arrived, it made my entire room smell like lacquer for the better part of a month..............I guess it was a tad fresh off the line.

The neck was a tad sticky, but I just kept it and my hands clean to play it. It's not really sticky at all now. I guess nitro might need a little time to "get right".
    Guitars: 2008 Gibson SG Classic, 2006 Gibson Les Paul Standard LE, 2002 Gibson SG Supreme, 2001 Gibson Les Paul Studio Plus, 1996 Les Paul Studio Gem, American Deluxe Double Fat Strat, Bluesville "Super" Strat Copy, MIK Fender "Limited Edition" Tele, JD Bluesville "Night Pilot", Yamaha AES 820, Steinberger Spirit GT Pro, Taylor 355CE, Ovation 1897 Adamas, Ovation CC057 Celebrity

Amps: Axe FX centered rack rig, Mesa 4x12 cab. Germino Club 40, Johnson JM150 Millennium, Johnson JM250 Millennium, Gibson Titan Medalist Frankenstein.

Effects: Tonebone Trimode, EH Holy Grail, Boss CH-1, Dunlop Crybaby Classic, Framptone Amp Switcher, THD Hot Plate, Yamaha AG Stomp Acoustic Processor, Boss BCB-60 Pedal Board.

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Plank_Spanker
    When my LP Standard arrived, it made my entire room smell like lacquer for the better part of a month..............I guess it was a tad fresh off the line.

The neck was a tad sticky, but I just kept it and my hands clean to play it. It's not really sticky at all now. I guess nitro might need a little time to "get right".
    It does, unless it's had some time sitting at the plant or warehoused. Nitro has to "cure."

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Krashpad
    It does, unless it's had some time sitting at the plant or warehoused. Nitro has to "cure."
    And some finishes might take longer than others to cure. Nitro is a "living, breathing" finish. While it might be cured, it still breathes, and that's a big part of it's charm.
    Guitars: 2008 Gibson SG Classic, 2006 Gibson Les Paul Standard LE, 2002 Gibson SG Supreme, 2001 Gibson Les Paul Studio Plus, 1996 Les Paul Studio Gem, American Deluxe Double Fat Strat, Bluesville "Super" Strat Copy, MIK Fender "Limited Edition" Tele, JD Bluesville "Night Pilot", Yamaha AES 820, Steinberger Spirit GT Pro, Taylor 355CE, Ovation 1897 Adamas, Ovation CC057 Celebrity

Amps: Axe FX centered rack rig, Mesa 4x12 cab. Germino Club 40, Johnson JM150 Millennium, Johnson JM250 Millennium, Gibson Titan Medalist Frankenstein.

Effects: Tonebone Trimode, EH Holy Grail, Boss CH-1, Dunlop Crybaby Classic, Framptone Amp Switcher, THD Hot Plate, Yamaha AG Stomp Acoustic Processor, Boss BCB-60 Pedal Board.