Thread: The diminished scale is my love

Camrose, Alberta, Canada - used to be Umea Sweden.
    Post Thanks / Like

Default The diminished scale is my love

I just love the Dim scale. When I pick up the guitar, I often end up trying to create some interesting lines with the diminished scale, and there's seems to be an almost endless amount of cool sounding combinations you can come up. This is because the scale is symmetrical : half-step, whole-step - repeat...

I also find you can use this scale in lots of different ways, as long as you use with taste of course. I like using it over a minor chord (starting the scale with a whole step) and over dominant 7 chords (b9 and #9), starting with a half-step.

Any other diminished scale lovers out there?

I have a really cool dim lick coming soon to a video near you...
    The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.
    Master Guitar Academy - I also teach via SKYPE.

Post Thanks / Like

i will have to try it out when i get home. i don't understand a lot of the theory on why scales work, but i do hear it and i do love using scales as the basis of developing my own phrasings. thanks robert!
    "I happen to have perfect situational awareness, Lana. Which cannot be taught, by the way. Like a poet's ... mind for ... to make the perfect words." - Sterling Archer

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I don't know yet, but would love to try it out! Looking forward to that lick. My new mission. One new lick per week.
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Amphs: Peavey Classic 30, '61 Fender Concert
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

love is the answer, at least for most of the questions in my heart. . .
    - j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

The lick I'll be showing is far from easy, but it sounds really cool I think.
    Lots of simpler licks and ideas can be made out this scale though - it's application is almost endless.
    The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Easy is not a requirement. I will have fun learning from anything you throw our way. Thanks!
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Amphs: Peavey Classic 30, '61 Fender Concert
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

love is the answer, at least for most of the questions in my heart. . .
    - j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Robert,

I can't wait to see/hear your dimished lick example. This scale is not one that I use ver much so there's lots of room for improvement for me.

I have been getting into the melodic minor scale more and more lately though, and I'm finding this one to be really useful, although I'm not yet using it for really "outside" applications yet, just using it for soloting over minor ii-V-i progressions.

-- Jim
    Electrics: Hamer Newport, Fender Clapton Strat, Ibanez AF86, Line6 Variax 700
    Acoustic Guitars: Taylor 514CE, Martin J40-M
    Dobro: Regal "Black Lightning Dobro"
    Mandolin: Morgan Monroe Mandolin
    Amps: Egnater Rebel 30, Vox AD120VTX, Roland Cube 60
    http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page...?bandid=301718

Post Thanks / Like

Well, I should be getting my Macbook Pro tomorrow, so I'll start editing right away!

The dim scale is hard to master well, but it's very cool. You can use it in so many ways. Jim can look at the Scott Henderson DVD for examples.

This gives me an idea. Maybe I should demonstrate all the ways I know of how to use a scale or mode - over what types of chords/progressions. Hmm, that might be interesting. I don't know everything though, so it wouldn't be perfectly complete but it may give people ideas for how to use scales and modes.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Robert
    This gives me an idea. Maybe I should demonstrate all the ways I know of how to use a scale or mode - over what types of chords/progressions. Hmm, that might be interesting.
    Great idea, Robert! I would definitely check a clip like that out!:
    Guitars:
    Fender 2006 MIM Fender Stratocaster HSS in 3TS
    Ibanez RG 570 with a bridge Invader
    ESP M II Deluxe with a Tune-o-Matic bridge
    Eleanor, the magical, mystical Road Worn wonder Tele
    Blackstar HT Club 40

Post Thanks / Like

Looking forward to the video for 'My Love Scale in Diminished'

Sounds kind of Spinal Tap!
    Gearlist:
    Electric: Ibanez 'AS103', Fender Dlx Nash Pwr Tele, Fender Squier '62 JV Strat, Squier '51, Squier 60's Classic Vibe Strat, Epi Elite LP Studio, Hagstrom Swede Acoustic: Larrivee LV-03RE, A&L AMI, Yamaha FG340-T Bass: Yamaha BB 450 Amps: Roland JC-120, JC-50, Peavey Classic 30, Fender Super Champ XD Pedals: Marshall Guv'nor Plus, Danelectro Cool Cat Drive, Transparent Overdrive, Digitech Digiverb, Bad Monkey, Ibanez TS-9, Boss AC-2, CE-5, CS-2, DD-3, DF-2, DS-1, FV-100, GE-7, OC-2, PSM-5, SD-1, TU-2, DVM~BYOC 'Lush Puppy' Chorus

Post Thanks / Like

Here is one of Robert's diminished lessons.
    http://www.dolphinstreet.com/guitar_...s/lesson-1.php

"No Tele For you." - The Tele Nazi

Ha! Tele-ish now inbound.