Thread: HELP - Searching for a mod similar to the TBX/Delta Tone Control

Post Thanks / Like

Default HELP - Searching for a mod similar to the TBX/Delta Tone Control

Had this pre-made device in a Strat years ago, made by a guy who's web site was full of great ideas/info/mods. Sold ones for Tele's and bass as well.
    His small creation was mounted on/replacing the pot end of the tone knob, inside the cavity, and gave many tonal variations and PU choices by simply turning the multi-indented knob.
    Not up on the TBX or DTC, and another product by StellarTone(?), but are (possibly) very much like my now mystery device.
    I deffinitely want another in my someday-to-be CV Strat, but have had no luck yet finding the name/number in my file of stuffs & computer archives..., typical.

Sound familiar to anyone?
    I think it's still made/sold, and was quite popular with insiders.

Post Thanks / Like

One of Deaf Eddie's Fat-o-caster switches maybe? May not be what you're thinking of but sounds similar. The TBX is just a dual pot that acts as a regular 250k tone until it's halfway and then progressively works towards no load between 5-10. The Delta Tone control just has a notch at the end of the travel that takes the tone pot out of circuit. I have a TBX in my strat and a DTC in my tele. They both work as described.

http://deaf-eddie.net/
    Electric: Fat strat > Korg PB > TS7 > DS1 > DD-20 > Cube 60 (Fender model)

Acoustic: Guitar > microphone > audience

Post Thanks / Like

Default Friggin' ay'sss! Deaf Eddie!

Thank you so much, MB!

And, now that you are versed in all three, what do you think of them, pros/cons?
    I'll do a search for more discussions.

I tend to set the PU's at bridge and neck, and leave it there, but the options are worth having the DE mod available.

Anybody tried the StellarTone stuff?

Post Thanks / Like

The TBX (wired to bridge and middle on my strat) is subtle and helps add zing to the neck/middle combo on the strat which is traditionally a bit dark due to the loading effect of two tone controls. It also adds a nice sparkle for shimmery chorus or tremolo tones. There is a mod for the TBX to make it work better with passive pickups. I could live with a normal tone control instead.

The Delta Tone/No-load control is probably more useful. It's like having a subtle treble booster in the guitar with distorted tones. It also works well for pushing a clean tone out front for country material where cranking the volume doesn't feel right. Again, I could do without it.

I don't have one of Eddie's switches. I'd just get lost in the combinations.
    Electric: Fat strat > Korg PB > TS7 > DS1 > DD-20 > Cube 60 (Fender model)

Acoustic: Guitar > microphone > audience

Post Thanks / Like

Default Excellent!

Much appreciated.