Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968
ad30vt jack keeps loosening up

Thread: ad30vt jack keeps loosening up

Post Thanks / Like

Default ad30vt jack keeps loosening up

the input jack on my ad30vt keeps coming loose and then i have to take the amp apart to fix it. I tries using plumbers tape on the threads but i guess that didn't work! I wonder if using something like loc-tite on the threads would work. Since they are plastic i'm not sure if the loc-tite would work. I don't want to use glue since i might have to remove the jack somwtime to replace it (if necessary)

I'm sure others have had this problem....how did you fix it?

thanks,
    ww
    Quote Originally Posted by just strum
    For the record, my annoyance with Warren has a lot to do with the hissing noises he makes.
    Guitars: Gibson 1998 Les Paul Special : Peavey Predator (Early 90's Fat Strat Copy) : Ibanez GAX30TR
    Brownsville Reso - 101 Electric Reso : Fender GDO-300 Maple Quilt Top Acoustic

Amps: Fender Super Champ XD

Effects: Digitech RP250 Modeling Guitar Processor : DVM "Phased and Confused" Script Phaser Clone : Digitech Bad Monkey
    Danelectro Cool Cat Chorus : Behringer Distortion Modeler : Ernie Ball Volume Pedal : Dunlop Cry Baby Wah

Post Thanks / Like

Hasn't happened to me, Warren, but I've read about people epoxying the thing to the inside of the amp electronics casing. Here's a pic that was posted on (I think) the Patchtronix forum, showing how a guy fixed the problem on his AD50VT:

Attachment 159

EDIT: Here's a link to a thread on Patchtronix with some good discussion of the problem--

http://www.patchtronix.com/modules.p...iewtopic&t=236
    Last edited by duhvoodooman; April 3rd, 2006 at 06:56 AM.
    DVM's Ever-Expanding Gear List:

Guitars - W-A-A-A-Y-Y too many to list. Check 'em all out HERE

Amps & Cabs - "Kap'n Kerrang-aroo" BYOC 18W TMB kit amp head; Mojave Coyote head; Fender Hot Rod Deluxe Lacquered Tweed Ltd. Ed.; Allen Sweet Spot kit amp; BYOC Tweed Royal kit amp; Epiphone Valve Jr. combo + mods; Drive 2x12 cab / Celestion G12M Greenback + G12H30; AB Custom Audio 1x12 cab / Celestion Alnico Blue

Pedals/Effects - ZILLIONS, including DVM's Home-built Pedals - See some HERE and HERE, TOO!

DVM's Gear Photos
    Visit MY WEBSITE!

Post Thanks / Like

thanks voodoo!

ww
    For the record, my annoyance with Warren has a lot to do with the hissing noises he makes.
    Guitars: Gibson 1998 Les Paul Special : Peavey Predator (Early 90's Fat Strat Copy) : Ibanez GAX30TR

Effects: Digitech RP250 Modeling Guitar Processor : DVM "Phased and Confused" Script Phaser Clone : Digitech Bad Monkey
    Danelectro Cool Cat Chorus : Behringer Distortion Modeler : Ernie Ball Volume Pedal : Dunlop Cry Baby Wah

Post Thanks / Like

Warren - try to do a much nicer job of epoxing than the dude that did that job on the photo. LMAO
    Guitars/Bass - MIM Fender Classic 50s Strat, MIM Fender Standard Strat, Squier Classic Vibe 50s Tele, Gibson Les Paul Studio, Epi '56 Gold Top Les Paul, Martin DSR acoustic, Sigma Martin Auditorium electric/acoustic, Squier Jazz Bass.

Amps/Cabinets/Modelers - Model 2558 50 watt Marshall Silver Anniversary Jubilee combo w/ Celestion Vintage 30s, 4x12 Marshall cabinet w/25 watt Greenback Celestions, Fender Blues Junior w/ a couple of Billm mods, Line 6 POD 2.0, Roland Micro Cube

Pedals/Effects - Cry Baby Classic Wah, Boss TU-2, Boss NS-2, Boss RC-2 Loop Station, Ross Compressor, MXR Micro Amp, Danelectro FAB Echo, Danelectro FAB Chorus, Danelectro Chicken Salad, Marshall Guv'nor Plus, Marshall Echohead, Duhvoodooman's Zonkin' Yellow Screamer, Digitech Digiverb, Digitech Bad Monkey, Dunlop Fuzz Face, Homemade Loop Bypass pedal, Duhvoodooman's Sonic Tonic (Maxon SD-9 clone +), Voodoo Labs Superfuzz

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tone2thebone
    Warren - try to do a much nicer job of epoxing than the dude that did that job on the photo. LMAO
    I went back and found the original post on Patchtronix.com. My CRS disease struck again--it wasn't the owner who did that. He had opened up his AD50VT to see what it looked like inside and take some photos, and he found that it had come from the factory that way. He surmised that this might be a "factory fix" for the customer complaints they were getting about the input jack falling into the amp. Seems like a reasonable assumption. Pretty sloppy work, though, I agree!
    DVM's Ever-Expanding Gear List:

Guitars - W-A-A-A-Y-Y too many to list. Check 'em all out HERE

Amps & Cabs - "Kap'n Kerrang-aroo" BYOC 18W TMB kit amp head; Mojave Coyote head; Fender Hot Rod Deluxe Lacquered Tweed Ltd. Ed.; Allen Sweet Spot kit amp; BYOC Tweed Royal kit amp; Epiphone Valve Jr. combo + mods; Drive 2x12 cab / Celestion G12M Greenback + G12H30; AB Custom Audio 1x12 cab / Celestion Alnico Blue

Pedals/Effects - ZILLIONS, including DVM's Home-built Pedals - See some HERE and HERE, TOO!

DVM's Gear Photos
    Visit MY WEBSITE!

Post Thanks / Like

of course i had no epoxy in the house so i just tightened it up and will keep a closer eye on it! Will epoxy it next time it happens (once i have been to the store to get some!)

ww

Post Thanks / Like

Default locking up that input or output jack

a great way to solve this is to brush a small dab of clear fingernail polish onto one spot on the jack threads just where they meet the locking nut. That will essencially "glue that nut in place and make the jack stop becoming loose as the locking nut will stop unintentionally loosening, and becuase the polish is clear, you won't see it. Then someday if you want to take the jack out, just use a paintbrush to dab small amounts of acetone-free nail polish remover where it needs to go, and the nut will come free. When using the remover, be sure to protect the wood around the jack if doing this on a guitar, by going slow so there are no drips, and possibly by putting a little masking tape on the guitar so that any that gets away wont rest on the finish. I've never tried this on a plastic jack, so it may cause the jack itself to soften, but if you are replacing it, that wouldn't matter anyway.