Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

SX SST Floyd
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SX SST Floyd

Post Thanks / Like

Default SX SST Floyd

I have been looking at this for awhile now after reading some good reviews. I also noticed that the fret net's own tremoloman had done a nice review a couple of years ago on a Vintage White SX SST Floyd. I sent him PM to see if he still had the SX and what he thought about it now. He said he still had it and told me to "go for it"!

I got this a couple of weeks ago:

http://www.rondomusic.com/sstftowl.html

Right out of the box, I noticed that the overall fit and finish were excellent. There were no finish runs and the neck had a nice vintage tint to it with no sharp fret ends. It had a nice 3-ply pick guard and the switch and knobs felt sturdy. However, it did need some TLC as the rosewood fretboard was DRY, DRY, DRY, and the frets and strings were tarnished. After some care, adjusting the truss rod, changing the strings, and setting up the floyd....this thing is awesome

It sounds great unplugged as the whole body resonates when I play it......I can feel it like an acoustic. Plugged in, the pickups are great. The bridge pup is louder than the singles as expected and it sort of sounds like the bridge pup on the Squire '51 but not quite as bright. I'm sure other pickups would sound better, but the stock ones are fine. You can hear a difference in the sound in each of the 5 positions.

This is my first Floyd, so I have nothing to compare it to. The Floyd that came with it is a "speedloader" type so the ball end of the strings are not cut off, but threaded through a tube at the bridge up to the locking nut and through the tuning pegs. Once I had the right tension between the strings and springs it worked fine. I did have to put some clear finger nail polish on the threads of the trem arm because it kept coming unscrewed. It has been fine since then. Also, the trem arm does have some play in it. It probably would not stand too much abuse. Once the strings stretched out, it stays in tune and the intonation is fine.

The frets are a nice size...not "huge" speed bumps and I was able to get the action to 2/32 on the bass with no fret buzz. It has a flat radius which I like. The neck itself is "chunky", which I knew that about SX necks. It did feel a little different at first, but nothing that I noticed after a few minutes of playing.

Overall, it is definitely worth the $$ :

Now it's time for what you are all really waiting for:

Guitars: Washburn D10S, Washburn J28SDL, Washburn D56SW, Washburn F52SW, Washburn WI67PRO, Squire Standard Strat, Squire Tele Custom II, Squire '51, Agile AL-3100, Switch Wild IV Signature, Squire Classic Vibe 50's Tele

Amps: Vox AD30VT, Epiphone VJ Combo, Crate Palomino V8, Vox DA5

Pedals: Digitech Bad Monkey, Boss Blues Driver, Danelectro: PB&J Delay, Tuna Melt Tremolo, Chicken Salad Vibrato

Post Thanks / Like

That's a really nice guitar! I'm probably going to get an SX before long as well.

BTW - You need to add it to the list in your sig
    -Kodiak
    Guitars:
    Washburn Idol 64 DL w/GFS Dream 180 pups
    Washburn X-33 w/GFS 60's-70's Grey Bottom Non Stagger Overwound
    Stagg G300 SG w/GFS Power Rails
    Art & Lutherie Acoustic

Post Thanks / Like

That's the Owl. I've been wondering about those myself. Every time Rondo has had them in the past they have sold rather quickly and I never see any used ones so they must be a keeper.

"No Tele For you." - The Tele Nazi

Ha! Tele-ish now inbound.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Guitar Gal
    This is my first Floyd, so I have nothing to compare it to. The Floyd that came with it is a "speedloader" type so the ball end of the strings are not cut off, but threaded through a tube at the bridge up to the locking nut and through the tuning pegs. Once I had the right tension between the strings and springs it worked fine. I did have to put some clear finger nail polish on the threads of the trem arm because it kept coming unscrewed. It has been fine since then. Also, the trem arm does have some play in it. It probably would not stand too much abuse. Once the strings stretched out, it stays in tune and the intonation is fine.
    Thanks for the review! Looks like a lot of axe for the price. One quibble: that isn't a Speedloader. There are no licensed Speedloaders (and that's a licensed Floyd on that guitar). Plus, a Speedloader needs special strings and has no need for machine heads. Looks like this:

Mine looks just like that, except that the single coils are now black Dimarzio Area 61s.
    Axen: Jackson DK2M, Fender Deluxe Nashville Telecaster, Reverend Warhawk 390, Taylor 914ce, ESP LTD Surveyor-414
    Amphen: Jet City JCA22H and JCA12S cab, Carvin X-60 combo, Acoustic B20
    Effecten: "Thesis 96" Overdrive/Boost (aka DVM OD2), Hardwire DL-8 Digital Delay/Looper, DigiTech Polara Reverb, DigiTech EX-7 Expression Factory and CF-7 Chorus Factory, Danelectro CF-1 Cool Cat Fuzz
    "I wish Imagine Dragons would be stuck in an Arcade Fire for an entire Vampire Weekend."--Brian Posehn

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by marnold
    Thanks for the review! Looks like a lot of axe for the price. One quibble: that isn't a Speedloader. There are no licensed Speedloaders (and that's a licensed Floyd on that guitar). Plus, a Speedloader needs special strings and has no need for machine heads. Looks like this:

Mine looks just like that, except that the single coils are now black Dimarzio Area 61s.

Thanks for the clarification Marnold. I guess I should have referred to it as a "fastloader" and not a "speedloader". This is what mine looks like:

http://store.guitarfetish.com/flroflotrsy.html
    Guitars: Washburn D10S, Washburn J28SDL, Washburn D56SW, Washburn F52SW, Washburn WI67PRO, Squire Standard Strat, Squire Tele Custom II, Squire '51, Agile AL-3100, Switch Wild IV Signature, Squire Classic Vibe 50's Tele

Pedals: Digitech Bad Monkey, Boss Blues Driver, Danelectro: PB&J Delay, Tuna Melt Tremolo, Chicken Salad Vibrato

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the clarification Marnold. I guess I should have referred to it as a "fastloader" and not a "speedloader". This is what mine looks like:
    http://store.guitarfetish.com/flroflotrsy.html
    No problem. That's some confusing terminology that they are using. It'll be interesting to see how that bridge holds up over the long haul.
    Axen: Jackson DK2M, Fender Deluxe Nashville Telecaster, Reverend Warhawk 390, Taylor 914ce, ESP LTD Surveyor-414
    Amphen: Jet City JCA22H and JCA12S cab, Carvin X-60 combo, Acoustic B20
    Effecten: "Thesis 96" Overdrive/Boost (aka DVM OD2), Hardwire DL-8 Digital Delay/Looper, DigiTech Polara Reverb, DigiTech EX-7 Expression Factory and CF-7 Chorus Factory, Danelectro CF-1 Cool Cat Fuzz
    "I wish Imagine Dragons would be stuck in an Arcade Fire for an entire Vampire Weekend."--Brian Posehn

Post Thanks / Like

Oh No not again, BAD GAS.

Post Thanks / Like

That looks like a real fun git there GG: Have fun putting her I mean him through it's paces. Shoot what does a girl call her guitar? A guy might call it her

M29

Post Thanks / Like

Congrats! That's a beautiful guitar, GG. I sooooo like the stained necks and headstocks on SX guitars! It's such a beautiful warm amber stain they use on maple parts. one of these days, I might go for a tele SX.
    Guitars: '05 MIA Fender Strat HSS, '04 MIA Fender Strat SSS, '03 Burns Steer, '83 Hondo LP copy (project)

Amps: Fender Blues Jr., Line 6 Spider II 112

Pedals: Boss BD-2, Boss CS-3, Boss DS-1, Ibanez TS9DX, Ibanez AW7, Ibanez FZ7, DigiTech Bad Monkey, BYOC Lazy Sprocket (in progress - almost there), Danelectro Cool Cat Chorus.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by M29
    That looks like a real fun git there GG: Have fun putting her I mean him through it's paces. Shoot what does a girl call her guitar? A guy might call it her

M29

I'm not sure what the "PC" term is to use either M29....but I call all my guits "her"

GG

Post Thanks / Like

WOW! Sweet guit GG!
    Guitars and other stringed instruments: Washburn D10S, Washburn EA52SWCE, Washburn Cumberland J28SDL, Washburn D46S12, D'Aquisto Centura, Rover RM-50B Mando

Amps and Cabs: Behringer AT108, Firefly Tube Amph, Blackheart Little Giant BH5H, Shiner's Custom Cab v.1.0

". . . because without beer, things do not seem to go as well . . ." Brother Epp, Capuchin Monastery, Munjor, Kansas 1902

Post Thanks / Like

Nice catch GG!

You really need to invest in a pair of tight spandex pants and a large can of hairspray!
    I can't say that I've given up on a flanger cause I've never liked the effect either. I also can't say the same about Tremolo. I hate them both equally. - Tone2TheBone 2009

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SuperSwede
    Nice catch GG!

You really need to invest in a pair of tight spandex pants and a large can of hairspray!

I've already got the outfit SS....that's why I bought the guitar to complete the look

GG

Post Thanks / Like

I've already got the outfit SS....that's why I bought the guitar to complete the look
    ok...it has to be said....this post is meaningless without pictures!!

ww
    Quote Originally Posted by just strum
    For the record, my annoyance with Warren has a lot to do with the hissing noises he makes.
    Guitars: Gibson 1998 Les Paul Special : Peavey Predator (Early 90's Fat Strat Copy) : Ibanez GAX30TR
    Brownsville Reso - 101 Electric Reso : Fender GDO-300 Maple Quilt Top Acoustic

Amps: Fender Super Champ XD

Effects: Digitech RP250 Modeling Guitar Processor : DVM "Phased and Confused" Script Phaser Clone : Digitech Bad Monkey
    Danelectro Cool Cat Chorus : Behringer Distortion Modeler : Ernie Ball Volume Pedal : Dunlop Cry Baby Wah

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by warren0728
    ok...it has to be said....this post is meaningless without pictures!!

ww
    Amen.

Post Thanks / Like

GG
    Rock´N´Roll!

The 80´s will be back anytime now..
    I can't say that I've given up on a flanger cause I've never liked the effect either. I also can't say the same about Tremolo. I hate them both equally. - Tone2TheBone 2009

Post Thanks / Like

Nice git GG! I like the color. Let us know how she plays once you've had some time with her.

Trev
    Electrics: Hagstrom Ultra Swede (Gold Eagle Burst) Gretsch 5120 Electromatic (Orange) Custom Nashville Blackout Telecaster (Black, Stat mid/neck p'ups; Lil Puncher (Modern Vintage) bridge p'up; Wilkinson Compensated Bridge w/ 3 brass saddles, Warmoth Vintage Modern Birdseye Maple Neck) Fender MIM Stratocaster (Blue Agave, Rosewood Fretboard, Fender Tex-Mex p'ups; GFS Trem/Block Kit) Highland Spitfire (semi-hollow, flame maple top w/ bubinga inlay)
    Acoustics:Washburn D10CEQSB, Yamaha FG160E
    Bass: Westone Spectrum ST, Warwick Rockbass Corvette Basic Active
    Amps: Vox NT15H/V112NT Night Train, Peavey Bandit 112, Hartke HyDrive 210C Bass Amp, Vox DA5

Post Thanks / Like

I love that color!
    Keep us posted as you get to know her/him better.
    Guitars
    Wilburn Versatare, '52 FrankenTele(Fender licensed parts), Fender USA Roadhouse Strat, Fender USA Standard B-bender Telecaster, Agile AL 3000 w/ WCR pickups, Ibanez MIJ V300 Acoustic, Squier Precision Bass,
    Amps
    Ceriatone Overtone Special, Musicman 212 Sixty-Five, Fender Blues Jr., Peavey Classic 30, Fender Super Reverb, Traynor YCV-40 WR Anniversary w/ matching 1x12 ext. cab, Epiphone SoCal 50w head w/ matching 4x12 cab (Lady Luck speakers), Avatar 2x12 semi-open back cab w/ Celestion speakers
    Pedals
    Digitech Bad Monkey, Digitech Jamman, DVM's ZYS, Goodrich volume pedal

South Williamsport, Pa. (on the Susquehanna River)
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Guitar Gal

I have been thinking of getting one of those tinted white Floyd Rose SX SST's. They look really great. Do you hammer the tremolo?

I was thinking that you could lower the bridge hum bucker if you wanted it to blend in more. I have been lowering the pickups on some of my hot guitars. I lowered the bridge Seymour Duncan JB in the bridge of my Epi Ltd Standard birdseye maple top and it sounds more woody but almost just as strong. Both pickups are about flush with the mounting rings.

I also put new strings on my new '07 Squire standard tele, walnut satin finish and it sings compared to the cheap chineese strings that came on it. I'm also considering an SX tele copy and then put in a set of those GFS tele rail humbuckers for imports in it and see what it results in.

The Fender Super Champ SD is really, really sweet by the way, and every guitar sounds different thru it, quite noticeably different. I put in the highly sensitive ragin cajun speaker and think that the extra sensitivity has a lot to do with it sorting things out and differentiating guitars and note clarity in chords, etc. The amp is really able to reproduce a lot of different amps and their characteristic as well. The combination works really well and SX guitars sound even better thru it, not worse. I think this is a sign of the quality inherent in the SX guitars, at least the ones I have. The GG1 Jr all mahogany one with the two P90's really, really sings.

Keep me posted on how you are liking that Floyd Rose SX. My email is mjbolduc@dejazzd.com if you want to email me there, no problem.

Duffy
    Winfield, Pa.

"Time goes by like hurricanes and much faster things" (+/_) Allman Bro's

Happy groovin on the new SX!
    Duffy
    South Williamsport, Pa.

"So let us stop talking falsely now, the hour's getting late." (as by JH)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast