Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Which Les Paul???

Post Thanks / Like

Folks - thanks for all the info and replies, still have more homework to do!

Northern Ohio - Near Cleveland - Home of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame http://www.rockhall.com/
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ger the man
    Folks - thanks for all the info and replies, still have more homework to do!
    It never ends, keep us informed as you progress in your search?
    Mark
    * Loud is good, good is better!

Post Thanks / Like

Plank, I agree that the QC issue is sometimes pushed too hard. I own two Gibsons and have played countless others. You are right about all mass produced guitars having issues. I'm not saying that Gibsons have more than others. My main qualm with Gibsons is their paint. Especially the black finish (one of the toughest colors to spray well). Other than that the traditional tuners that they use are not great. Those plastic buttons strip out and need to be either replaced or epoxied every year or so. I also don't like the 400 series pickups that they were using. Gibson does make a good (and iconic) guitar. I feel that most Les Pauls are about $500 more than they should be. I did not mean to offend. This is coming from a Gibson owner and user. As with any guitar purchase, quality is going to vary from instrument to instrument. You are always better off playing as many as you can get your hands on to find which one works best for you.
    Patrick

Post Thanks / Like

Hi all,
    Well I have decided not to go for it in the end, I think Im gonna stick with uncle Leo for the time being. After some serious thought Ive decided that they are just too expensive (especially here in Ireland).

North of the Equator: I am a Southerner, Southern Ontario!
    Post Thanks / Like

You say that now but the lovely lady will beckon you again. You will hear someone playing one and it will start all over.
    I would try one of the new Studios, or mahogany faded series. They are all Gibson without the binding. Real bang for the buck.
    The Blues is alright!

Guitars: 1968 Gibson SG, 2005 Gibson SG Standard, 2006 Gibson LP Classic Gold top, 2004 Epiphone Elitist LP Custom, 1996 Gibson Les Paul Standard. 2001 Epiphone Sheraton II, 2007 Epiphone G400.
    Fender Strats: 1996 Fender 68 Reissue CIJ, 2008 Squier CV 50s, 2009 Squier CV 50s Tele Butterescotch Blonde

Amps: Blues Junior Special edition Jensen in Brown Tolex with Wheat front, 65 Deluxe Reverb reissue,1970 Sonax reverb by Traynor, Avatar Custom 2/12 Cabinet with Eminence Legend V1216 speakers,
    2008 DSL100 Marshall Amp , Fender Super Champ XD,Fender Vibro Champ XD

Effects and Pedals: Fulltone Fulldrive II, Fulltone OCD, Fulltone Mini Deja Vibe, Fulltone Fat Boost, Dunlop Crybaby Wah, Boss DS1, Boss DD20 Giga Delay, Boss TU2 tuner, Boss BD2, Ibanez TS9 Tube screamer, Zoom 505. Radial tonebone hot british.

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by ZMAN
    You say that now but the lovely lady will beckon you again. You will hear someone playing one and it will start all over.
    I would try one of the new Studios, or mahogany faded series. They are all Gibson without the binding. Real bang for the buck.
    Yeah, I have a Studio Doublecut I found used w/hsc for $525 USD several years ago, and a Classic w/ohsc I practically stole for $750. Never know when a good deal on a used one will pop up.

Though I realise it's a different sitch in Ireland, the UK, and Europe.

Jamais ne dit jamais!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ZMAN
    True, but I already have a beautiful lady:

http://elderly.com/fmic/items/FADTS-ACB-MPL.htm

Gonna get me a nice fender tube amp istead.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12