Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
Hagstrom Ultra Swede

Thread: Hagstrom Ultra Swede

Post Thanks / Like

Default Hagstrom Ultra Swede

This is one cool guitar. My local guy has a very limited edition with a gorgeous spalted maple top. Very unique. It's also quite thin/light with a contoured belly cut - super comfy, almost Stratish - it would be great for live playing. What this picture doesn't show is a very nice pearloid binding on the neck and body that accents the spalted maple beautifully.

But how does it sound, you ask?

FREAKIN' AWESOME.

Tested it through a Marshall half stack. Very smooth and creamy distortion, lots of balls in the p'ups. Great clean tones as well. Bonus coil split, while not quite Strat and definately not Tele, close enough for Rock and Roll. Seperate volume and tone controls would send this tone monster over the top, but who's complaining?

I'm giving myself a couple of weeks to cool off If it's still there, I may just scoop it up. I even have a tentative nod-of-approval from Mrs. T. She dropped by the store on her own to have a look after I described it to her. This usually means she recognizes my GAS and is doing her own homework. You can't trust someone with GAS to give you an accurate and unbiased description of the item they are GASing for after all

Like THIS ONE

I'll keep you posted.

Trev
    Last edited by t_ross33; March 9th, 2008 at 11:29 AM. Reason: Added Link to Similar Guitar on eBay
    Electrics: Hagstrom Ultra Swede (Gold Eagle Burst) Gretsch 5120 Electromatic (Orange) Custom Nashville Blackout Telecaster (Black, Stat mid/neck p'ups; Lil Puncher (Modern Vintage) bridge p'up; Wilkinson Compensated Bridge w/ 3 brass saddles, Warmoth Vintage Modern Birdseye Maple Neck) Fender MIM Stratocaster (Blue Agave, Rosewood Fretboard, Fender Tex-Mex p'ups; GFS Trem/Block Kit) Highland Spitfire (semi-hollow, flame maple top w/ bubinga inlay)
    Acoustics:Washburn D10CEQSB, Yamaha FG160E
    Bass: Westone Spectrum ST, Warwick Rockbass Corvette Basic Active
    Amps: Vox NT15H/V112NT Night Train, Peavey Bandit 112, Hartke HyDrive 210C Bass Amp, Vox DA5

Post Thanks / Like

Very nice Trev

I love the spalted maple top :

GG
    Guitars: Washburn D10S, Washburn J28SDL, Washburn D56SW, Washburn F52SW, Washburn WI67PRO, Squire Standard Strat, Squire Tele Custom II, Squire '51, Agile AL-3100, Switch Wild IV Signature, Squire Classic Vibe 50's Tele

Amps: Vox AD30VT, Epiphone VJ Combo, Crate Palomino V8, Vox DA5

Pedals: Digitech Bad Monkey, Boss Blues Driver, Danelectro: PB&J Delay, Tuna Melt Tremolo, Chicken Salad Vibrato

Post Thanks / Like

Looks great! Not a bad price either.
    Guitars: '05 MIA Fender Strat HSS, '04 MIA Fender Strat SSS, '03 Burns Steer, '83 Hondo LP copy (project)

Amps: Fender Blues Jr., Line 6 Spider II 112

Pedals: Boss BD-2, Boss CS-3, Boss DS-1, Ibanez TS9DX, Ibanez AW7, Ibanez FZ7, DigiTech Bad Monkey, BYOC Lazy Sprocket (in progress - almost there), Danelectro Cool Cat Chorus.

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up

Good luck! :

They lose me at basswood and spalted maple though.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Update: Gas Attack Averted

After some careful consideration, and LOTS of playing with my Washburn HB-30 and subsequent "upgrade" of my Tele with the new tort PG, I've decided that I don't need another guitar at this time.

I hope the "Hag" finds a good home.

'til next time...

:

Trev
    Electrics: Hagstrom Ultra Swede (Gold Eagle Burst) Gretsch 5120 Electromatic (Orange) Custom Nashville Blackout Telecaster (Black, Stat mid/neck p'ups; Lil Puncher (Modern Vintage) bridge p'up; Wilkinson Compensated Bridge w/ 3 brass saddles, Warmoth Vintage Modern Birdseye Maple Neck) Fender MIM Stratocaster (Blue Agave, Rosewood Fretboard, Fender Tex-Mex p'ups; GFS Trem/Block Kit) Highland Spitfire (semi-hollow, flame maple top w/ bubinga inlay)
    Amps: Vox NT15H/V112NT Night Train, Peavey Bandit 112, Hartke HyDrive 210C Bass Amp, Vox DA5

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by t_ross33
    ....I've decided that I don't need another guitar at this time.
    Geez, Trev--since when does "need" have anything to do with GAS??

I am in awe of your self-control! :
    DVM's Ever-Expanding Gear List:

Guitars - W-A-A-A-Y-Y too many to list. Check 'em all out HERE

Amps & Cabs - "Kap'n Kerrang-aroo" BYOC 18W TMB kit amp head; Mojave Coyote head; Fender Hot Rod Deluxe Lacquered Tweed Ltd. Ed.; Allen Sweet Spot kit amp; BYOC Tweed Royal kit amp; Epiphone Valve Jr. combo + mods; Drive 2x12 cab / Celestion G12M Greenback + G12H30; AB Custom Audio 1x12 cab / Celestion Alnico Blue

Pedals/Effects - ZILLIONS, including DVM's Home-built Pedals - See some HERE and HERE, TOO!

DVM's Gear Photos
    Visit MY WEBSITE!

Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by duhvoodooman
    Geez, Trev--since when does "need" have anything to do with GAS??

I am in awe of your self-control! :
    + Eleventy!

I've been thinking about getting an electric 12-string for my side band but will have to do so on the cheap.

Have already found a new LP-knockoff 12er I can have shipped for under 2 Benjamins. Maybe I'll see if I can hold out til the birthday money rolls in.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Krashpad
    I've been thinking about getting an electric 12-string for my side band but will have to do so on the cheap.

Have already found a new LP-knockoff 12er I can have shipped for under 2 Benjamins. Maybe I'll see if I can hold out til the birthday money rolls in.
    Like THIS one? Pretty sweet. I pass the GAS torch (for now ). We'll see how far my self control goes. We need (er.... want) some more PA gear for the band, so that might come before another guitar.

Trev

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by t_ross33
    Like THIS one? Pretty sweet. I pass the GAS torch (for now ). We'll see how far my self control goes. We need (er.... want) some more PA gear for the band, so that might come before another guitar.

Trev
    Yeah, similar to the Rondo one, but imported by some other small US importer, and for half the price Rondo wants.

And in cherry sunburst.

Post Thanks / Like

Details, man, details! What distributor... Ya have a link?
    Guitars:
    Fender 2006 MIM Fender Stratocaster HSS in 3TS
    Ibanez RG 570 with a bridge Invader
    ESP M II Deluxe with a Tune-o-Matic bridge
    Eleanor, the magical, mystical Road Worn wonder Tele
    Blackstar HT Club 40

Post Thanks / Like

Having once owned a 1974 Hagstrom Swede, I have a soft spot for those guitars (yeah, I thinks the soft spot's in my head!). The ones I really like the looks of now, are the new Super Swedes. It seems that after a couple of years of working the bugs out of the Chinese production, they're now getting great reviews...not just fir the workmanship, but the tone now as well.

Who knows?...Maybe...someday...if I run accross a deal....I might get one of these reissues....

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bloozcat
    Having once owned a 1974 Hagstrom Swede, I have a soft spot for those guitars (yeah, I thinks the soft spot's in my head!). The ones I really like the looks of now, are the new Super Swedes. It seems that after a couple of years of working the bugs out of the Chinese production, they're now getting great reviews...not just fir the workmanship, but the tone now as well.

Who knows?...Maybe...someday...if I run accross a deal....I might get one of these reissues....
    +1. The Super Swedes are nice gits without a doubt.

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Katastrophe
    Details, man, details! What distributor... Ya have a link?
    Just go to ebay and do a search for "12-string electric -acoustic," and arrange from low price to highest, it should be one of the first few listings.

Here's one:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Professional-12-...QQcmdZViewItem

Keep in mind, I have no experience with the seller. Kinda a crap shoot, but says can return within a week.

Post Thanks / Like

One word............

Relic.

"No Tele For you." - The Tele Nazi

Ha! Tele-ish now inbound.