Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
Esp Ltd Mh-53

Thread: Esp Ltd Mh-53

Post Thanks / Like

Default Esp Ltd Mh-53

I just bought an ESP LTD MH-53 the other day. I have always been a Fender man and I just wanted to add something different to my collection. I saw the guitar in the local music store and thought it looked cool so I thought I would try it out. For the price I thought it was an awesome guitar, and I feel in love with its playability. It has two ESP single coil pickups and a ESP humbucker in the bridge. I was thinking about switching out the bridge pickup for a Seymour Duncan SH-10, I want to stick with a passive pickup. I am wanting something with a metal edge but the versatility to play a nice clean sound. I am somewhat new to this, so can anyone offer any suggestions? Would the SH-10 be a good choice?

Thank you,

Chong

Post Thanks / Like

This thread is worthless without pictures.:

There are a ton of good humbuckers out there. What amph are you playing through? Effects? One cool choice for a SSH guitar is a Dimarzio Super Distortion because when you split the coils it's real close to a stock Strat single coil sound and output. That way you can cover more ground tonally.

"No Tele For you." - The Tele Nazi

Ha! Tele-ish now inbound.

Post Thanks / Like

I like the sound of ESP's stuff. At least two of my favorite bands use them (Metallica, Lacuna Coil). Great metal edge.

I really want an ESP EC-100 (the matte black with the gold finish). Still the most beautiful guitar I've seen (IMO). One of these days...
    -Kodiak
    Guitars:
    Washburn Idol 64 DL w/GFS Dream 180 pups
    Washburn X-33 w/GFS 60's-70's Grey Bottom Non Stagger Overwound
    Stagg G300 SG w/GFS Power Rails
    Art & Lutherie Acoustic

Post Thanks / Like

Here is a photo of the guitar and the stock pickups

Post Thanks / Like

Very sharp! I like it. What's the inlay on the 12th fret? I can't quite make it out.
    -Kodiak
    Guitars:
    Art & Lutherie Acoustic

Post Thanks / Like

It just says MH-53 in the inlay.

Post Thanks / Like

That is one sharp looking axe. I'm looking at putting a Duncan Screamin' Demon in the bridge of my HSS because it is a bit lower output to match with the singles and for clean playing. It's not going to push the amp for distortion like a higher-output pickup will, but if it works for George Lynch, it will probably work for me too
    Axen: Jackson DK2M, Fender Deluxe Nashville Telecaster, Reverend Warhawk 390, Taylor 914ce, ESP LTD Surveyor-414
    Amphen: Jet City JCA22H and JCA12S cab, Carvin X-60 combo, Acoustic B20
    Effecten: "Thesis 96" Overdrive/Boost (aka DVM OD2), Hardwire DL-8 Digital Delay/Looper, DigiTech Polara Reverb, DigiTech EX-7 Expression Factory and CF-7 Chorus Factory, Danelectro CF-1 Cool Cat Fuzz
    "I wish Imagine Dragons would be stuck in an Arcade Fire for an entire Vampire Weekend."--Brian Posehn

Post Thanks / Like

I have been thinking about a screamin' demon myself, I just wish it was easier to try out different pickups in your guitar. I just know I want to go with Duncans.

Post Thanks / Like

Oh, by the way, make sure to get the "TB" (trembucker, aka Fender/Floyd spaced) version instead of the "SH" (Gibson spaced) version. Otherwise the E strings will be outside the pickup pole pieces. Dimarzio also sells F-spaced versions of most of their humbuckers.
    Axen: Jackson DK2M, Fender Deluxe Nashville Telecaster, Reverend Warhawk 390, Taylor 914ce, ESP LTD Surveyor-414
    Amphen: Jet City JCA22H and JCA12S cab, Carvin X-60 combo, Acoustic B20
    Effecten: "Thesis 96" Overdrive/Boost (aka DVM OD2), Hardwire DL-8 Digital Delay/Looper, DigiTech Polara Reverb, DigiTech EX-7 Expression Factory and CF-7 Chorus Factory, Danelectro CF-1 Cool Cat Fuzz
    "I wish Imagine Dragons would be stuck in an Arcade Fire for an entire Vampire Weekend."--Brian Posehn

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the tip, I am newbie when it comes to changing pickups. I wasn't aware of the naming differences but glad that I know now.

Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

I just did my first pickup change last week. Not as hard as it looked.

Probably do it again soon.
    -Kodiak
    Guitars:
    Art & Lutherie Acoustic