Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I love my Mac but iMovie 08 sucks

Camrose, Alberta, Canada - used to be Umea Sweden.
    Post Thanks / Like

Default I love my Mac but iMovie 08 sucks

Really. It sucks. I have to say it. After looking around the web for a bit, it's apparent that a lot of people are upset about iMovie 08.

The main problem is there is no way to easily edit your clips. I have to say I liked Windows Movie Maker better, because it had a normal timeline where you can trim beginning/end and split clips exactly where you want.

Sorry, Apple, but this time you screwed up.

Review:
    The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.
    Master Guitar Academy - I also teach via SKYPE.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Yep, film editing is lacking. I wanted to cut out more of the stuff in the clip I just posted on the Garageband thread. It was easier in the older version. Hopefully it gets fixed soon. I like the general easy organization, but I can't figure out easy edits. The youtube uploader features work well, but they need to fix the editing.

Good thing Garageband doesn't suffer from the same issues.
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Amphs: Peavey Classic 30, '61 Fender Concert
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

love is the answer, at least for most of the questions in my heart. . .
    - j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

MOVED FROM GARAGEBAND THREAD:

Ok, I just did this in iMovie with some clips one of my Freeride team kids emailed to me after downloading from his Flip camera. I am the one filming in these clips. The kids are jumping, plus my Mr. Spock in the program who appears in red, white and blue. I started at about 5 to 9p, and I started uploading it to youtube at 9:30p. I have never uploaded to youtube before, and this is a down and dirty test. We will have a year end film, but a lot of clean up will happen to these clips before we do. It was done as a test of iMovie08 as I had not used it yet, but have used prior versions.

I think it does well enough for small projects, and for my own end of year stuff I have put together for the kids, and should work just fine for small instructional clips. Our true promo film is done by a professional shooter though, who uses final cut or final cut pro or something, but def. on the mac side. Anyhow, here it is. We had good snow this year!!

Don't focus too much on the shakiness of the flip camera low pixel vid. I did it to show the transitions that I put in and how I could throw one together in short order on iMovie. Also, check out Drew in the orange coat coming off that rock. Check how long he is hanging up there!!!! I don't go that big myself. Just coach them to.

EDIT: I do wish editing in the middle of clips was easier. I would have cut a lot of my shaky camera holding out. This is my first time on this version tonight, and maybe there is a way, but it is not easy like I am used to my Apple stuff being. Hopefully they will fix that part soon.
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

- j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

Apple is not a company full of idiots. This can't be a mistake. The only reason I can see for this mess of a program is so that you will be forced to buy Final Cut, if you need any kind of control of edits. Disappointing!
    The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.

Post Thanks / Like

If you have iMovie '08 installed you can download for free the previous version - iMovieHD '06 - follow the link.

iMovie 6 HD Download Page

It is a the previous version that came with iLife '06. Hope this helps - both versions can be installed at the same time.

Gil
    Where ever you go, there you are

a 1973 Léro Model 58 Dreadnought; a 1998 Ovation 1861 Standard Balladeer Natural; Taka - a 2005 Squier '51 Black
    Yume - a 2006 Squier Standard Strat Cherryburst; Houbi - a 2008 Fender VG Strat Blizzard Pearl won via fender.com

Pedals: Home made board; Visual Sound 1 Spot Power; Danelectro Chicken Salad, Fab Chorus, Echo & Flange; DVM Phasers To STUN; EHX LPB-1; Fender PT-100 Tuner
    Amps: Fender Super Champ XD; Vox DA-5 in Camo
    Computer: Apple MacBook Pro, PowerMac G4; Line6 Toneport KB37; M-Audio Black Box Pedal Board, Trigger Finger & DX4 Monitors
    Software: Ableton Live Lite; Apple Garageband; Cockos Reaper; Line6 Gearbox/POD Farm with Model Packs
    GAS: Squier Classic Vibe '50s Tele; Barber Tone Press Pedal; DigiTech Bad Monkey Pedal

Post Thanks / Like

Robert.. My wife use iMovie more than me but I am pretty sure that you can switch between clips and timeline view??
    I can't say that I've given up on a flanger cause I've never liked the effect either. I also can't say the same about Tremolo. I hate them both equally. - Tone2TheBone 2009

Post Thanks / Like

One of the decisions on holding off on the MAC purchase, aside from power and price, was that I did research into iMovie and iPhoto and read comments by MAC users. I found that many were not happy with both and that they wish Picassa, for instance, was ported to the MAC. I love the ease and speed of Picassa for my photos and I am hooked on Adobe Premiere. Hope you get this sorted Robert. You could always give Premiere Elements a go on the cheap if you like. It works very well on the MAC.
    Soundcloud - Lights on Project

-Pete

Post Thanks / Like

Well, SS, there is no timeline to speak of.
    I'm getting Final Cut Express.

Post Thanks / Like

This has been a issue since iLife 08 came out, go back to iMovie HD or move up to FC Express. It has puzzled many people as to what Apple was thinking on this issue, when so much of iLife 08 saw great improvements.
    I've been imitated so well I've heard people copy my mistakes.
    -- Jimi Hendrix

Musical Equipment
    1993 USA Fender Strat Plus
    200? Michael Kelly Hybrid
    2002 Gretsch G3100 Historical Series
    Crate BV60 Combo
    Boss ME-20 Multi Effect Pedal
    Recording Equipment
    Mac G5 2.3 Duo Core
    160 & 500 GB Drives
    4.5 GB Ram
    iControl (M-Audio)
    Studiophile AV40 (M-Audio)
    TonePort UX2
    Logic Studio 8

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Robert
    Apple is not a company full of idiots. This can't be a mistake. The only reason I can see for this mess of a program is so that you will be forced to buy Final Cut, if you need any kind of control of edits. Disappointing!
    Aa Gil says, download the iMovie from iLife 06 I'm still using it and it's great I have also hard time to do anything with the iMovie 08. Apprently they wanted to make it easier but i guess they miss the point there. That's the firs time (I work on Mac's since 15 years) that I have such a hard time with one of their software :

Jipes
    Guitars:
    1978 Fender Telecaster Thinline Custom USA, New Nash TL-72 Thinline Telecaster, 1965 Harmony Meteor, H71, 1986 Fender Telecaster Esquire MIJ, New Martin J-41 Special, 1933 National Duolian, 1941, New Eastwood Mandocaster 12 strings

Amps:
    Tweed Vibrolux Custom Denis Manlay, 1976 Fender Deluxe Reverb Silverface

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by stingx
    One of the decisions on holding off on the MAC purchase, aside from power and price, was that I did research into iMovie and iPhoto and read comments by MAC users. I found that many were not happy with both and that they wish Picassa, for instance, was ported to the MAC. I love the ease and speed of Picassa for my photos and I am hooked on Adobe Premiere. Hope you get this sorted Robert. You could always give Premiere Elements a go on the cheap if you like. It works very well on the MAC.
    It was partially true for iPhoto but since the new versions many bugs have been corrected and the manipulation of photo collection is much easier including just using alias of photos collection in another location than the iPhoto folder.

As for iMovie (the HD version) I did more than 45 videos and sometimes montage and editing with two cameras and it works fine
    Guitars:
    1978 Fender Telecaster Thinline Custom USA, New Nash TL-72 Thinline Telecaster, 1965 Harmony Meteor, H71, 1986 Fender Telecaster Esquire MIJ, New Martin J-41 Special, 1933 National Duolian, 1941, New Eastwood Mandocaster 12 strings

Amps:
    Tweed Vibrolux Custom Denis Manlay, 1976 Fender Deluxe Reverb Silverface

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

iPhoto is super easy for me and does great. I have no reason to go bigger with Photoshop or the like at this point. It is only the recent update to iMovie that seems to be off track. They seem to acknowledge it by allowing 08 users to download the 06 version of iMovie. I hope they just fix it with an update soon.
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

- j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

I must say they are acknowledging something is "rotten in the state of Denmark", when they offer a downgrade to the '06 version!

That's the only drawback I have found with anything Apple. Everything else I've seen from them is really good. My MacBook Pro is like an Angel's touch.

Post Thanks / Like

Hey can't be any worse then the Vista downgrade to XP ?? :
    I've been imitated so well I've heard people copy my mistakes.
    -- Jimi Hendrix

Musical Equipment
    1993 USA Fender Strat Plus
    200? Michael Kelly Hybrid
    2002 Gretsch G3100 Historical Series
    Crate BV60 Combo
    Boss ME-20 Multi Effect Pedal
    Recording Equipment
    Mac G5 2.3 Duo Core
    160 & 500 GB Drives
    4.5 GB Ram
    iControl (M-Audio)
    Studiophile AV40 (M-Audio)
    TonePort UX2
    Logic Studio 8

Post Thanks / Like

Oh no, it's not anywhere that bad!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Robert
    My MacBook Pro is like an Angel's touch.
    Robert have you been touched by an angel?
    Soundcloud - Lights on Project

-Pete

Post Thanks / Like

Robert have you been touched by an angel?
    We actually dont talk about that, the official story involves aliens and a probe that dared to go where no one else have gone before.
    I can't say that I've given up on a flanger cause I've never liked the effect either. I also can't say the same about Tremolo. I hate them both equally. - Tone2TheBone 2009

Post Thanks / Like

Yah, dat stuff is Top Secret!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SuperSwede
    We actually dont talk about that, the official story involves aliens and a probe that dared to go where no one else have gone before.
    So what your saying is...
    If ya buy a MAC after reading the hype... :
    you get Probed?

Flame suits on!

Jimmie Vaughan Strat , Squire 51
    Epi 56 GoldTop, SX "Vintage" Jazz Bass
    Zager 50, Guild GAD30R (Excellent)
    G-Dec 3 Thirty, Valve Junior & Cab
    Crate PowerBlock, Crate V33H
    JamVox, Studio GX With Mods/Farm 2.0.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast