Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
The ADxxVT settings thread! - Page 2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The ADxxVT settings thread!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Hi all

New here! I have a 30 that I am really enjoying.

Try this,

boutique clean

Gain - Full
    Treble 12 o'clock
    mid - 12 o'clock
    bass - 9 o'clock
    All three volumes - full

maybe a little reverb.

This setting has a lot of nice top end and simply roars, imo. not much dirt though, but it works for me.

Chris

Post Thanks / Like

ok...i'm trying to set up a nice clean jazzy tone on my vox30 to use with my ibanez artcore with dual humbuckers...any suggestions on where to start?

thanks,
    ww
    Quote Originally Posted by just strum
    For the record, my annoyance with Warren has a lot to do with the hissing noises he makes.
    Guitars: Gibson 1998 Les Paul Special : Peavey Predator (Early 90's Fat Strat Copy) : Ibanez GAX30TR
    Brownsville Reso - 101 Electric Reso : Fender GDO-300 Maple Quilt Top Acoustic

Amps: Fender Super Champ XD

Effects: Digitech RP250 Modeling Guitar Processor : DVM "Phased and Confused" Script Phaser Clone : Digitech Bad Monkey
    Danelectro Cool Cat Chorus : Behringer Distortion Modeler : Ernie Ball Volume Pedal : Dunlop Cry Baby Wah

Post Thanks / Like

Warren try the AC15. It's a smooth darker model that would probably sound good on your Artcore.
    Guitars/Bass - MIM Fender Classic 50s Strat, MIM Fender Standard Strat, Squier Classic Vibe 50s Tele, Gibson Les Paul Studio, Epi '56 Gold Top Les Paul, Martin DSR acoustic, Sigma Martin Auditorium electric/acoustic, Squier Jazz Bass.

Amps/Cabinets/Modelers - Model 2558 50 watt Marshall Silver Anniversary Jubilee combo w/ Celestion Vintage 30s, 4x12 Marshall cabinet w/25 watt Greenback Celestions, Fender Blues Junior w/ a couple of Billm mods, Line 6 POD 2.0, Roland Micro Cube

Pedals/Effects - Cry Baby Classic Wah, Boss TU-2, Boss NS-2, Boss RC-2 Loop Station, Ross Compressor, MXR Micro Amp, Danelectro FAB Echo, Danelectro FAB Chorus, Danelectro Chicken Salad, Marshall Guv'nor Plus, Marshall Echohead, Duhvoodooman's Zonkin' Yellow Screamer, Digitech Digiverb, Digitech Bad Monkey, Dunlop Fuzz Face, Homemade Loop Bypass pedal, Duhvoodooman's Sonic Tonic (Maxon SD-9 clone +), Voodoo Labs Superfuzz

Post Thanks / Like

any suggestions on where to start settings wise?....

ww
    For the record, my annoyance with Warren has a lot to do with the hissing noises he makes.
    Guitars: Gibson 1998 Les Paul Special : Peavey Predator (Early 90's Fat Strat Copy) : Ibanez GAX30TR

Effects: Digitech RP250 Modeling Guitar Processor : DVM "Phased and Confused" Script Phaser Clone : Digitech Bad Monkey
    Danelectro Cool Cat Chorus : Behringer Distortion Modeler : Ernie Ball Volume Pedal : Dunlop Cry Baby Wah

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by warren0728
    any suggestions on where to start settings wise?....

ww
    Try starting with everything straight up and then add or decrease as needed for your ears. I think a bit of treble might sound nice (like at 3:00 or so) then you can always decrease that amount on your guitar's tone knob if you wanted. It depends on your ears and how it hits your skull man.
    Guitars/Bass - MIM Fender Classic 50s Strat, MIM Fender Standard Strat, Squier Classic Vibe 50s Tele, Gibson Les Paul Studio, Epi '56 Gold Top Les Paul, Martin DSR acoustic, Sigma Martin Auditorium electric/acoustic, Squier Jazz Bass.

Amps/Cabinets/Modelers - Model 2558 50 watt Marshall Silver Anniversary Jubilee combo w/ Celestion Vintage 30s, 4x12 Marshall cabinet w/25 watt Greenback Celestions, Fender Blues Junior w/ a couple of Billm mods, Line 6 POD 2.0, Roland Micro Cube

Pedals/Effects - Cry Baby Classic Wah, Boss TU-2, Boss NS-2, Boss RC-2 Loop Station, Ross Compressor, MXR Micro Amp, Danelectro FAB Echo, Danelectro FAB Chorus, Danelectro Chicken Salad, Marshall Guv'nor Plus, Marshall Echohead, Duhvoodooman's Zonkin' Yellow Screamer, Digitech Digiverb, Digitech Bad Monkey, Dunlop Fuzz Face, Homemade Loop Bypass pedal, Duhvoodooman's Sonic Tonic (Maxon SD-9 clone +), Voodoo Labs Superfuzz

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by warren0728
    ok...i'm trying to set up a nice clean jazzy tone on my vox30 to use with my ibanez artcore with dual humbuckers...any suggestions on where to start?
    IMO, the Boutique Clean model is tough to beat for what you're describing. Keep the Gain at 12 noon or less and adjust other settings to taste.
    DVM's Ever-Expanding Gear List:

Guitars - W-A-A-A-Y-Y too many to list. Check 'em all out HERE

Amps & Cabs - "Kap'n Kerrang-aroo" BYOC 18W TMB kit amp head; Mojave Coyote head; Fender Hot Rod Deluxe Lacquered Tweed Ltd. Ed.; Allen Sweet Spot kit amp; BYOC Tweed Royal kit amp; Epiphone Valve Jr. combo + mods; Drive 2x12 cab / Celestion G12M Greenback + G12H30; AB Custom Audio 1x12 cab / Celestion Alnico Blue

Pedals/Effects - ZILLIONS, including DVM's Home-built Pedals - See some HERE and HERE, TOO!

DVM's Gear Photos
    Visit MY WEBSITE!

Post Thanks / Like

The AC15 sounds great for jazz! I have a couple of nice jazzy sounds made with the UK80´s setting as well (just keep the gain low).
    I can't say that I've given up on a flanger cause I've never liked the effect either. I also can't say the same about Tremolo. I hate them both equally. - Tone2TheBone 2009

Post Thanks / Like

been playing around and like both the boputique clean and the ac15...both sound great with my artcore....i tended to lean more towards the ac15 setting...i like the darker sound...i am having a good time with this new guitar and so far like it better through the vox than either of my tube amps

ww

Post Thanks / Like

I have been reading about jazz on other forums. From what I have learned, it’s more than the guitar, amp and amp settings. One has to learn the jazz cords. These would be MAJ6, MAJ7, dim, 6/9, m7 and many more. It’s a whole new vocabulary. This means lots of studying to do. There is not enough time in one’s life to do what we all want to accomplish, but we sure will have fun trying!
    Guitars:

Electric: Washburn HB-30, Squier Tele Custom Deluxe, Jay Turser Strat.
    Acoustic: Seagull S6.

AMPs: VOX AD30VT, Peavey Envoy 110.

Modelers: V-AMP 2, Digitech RP-100A.

Pedals: Boss RC-2 Loop Station, Boss CE-5 Chorus Ensemble, Digitech Bad Monkey, Ibanez DE7 Delay/Echo, DOD VFX40B 7-Band Graphic EQ, Ibanez CS-5 Super Chorus.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tim
    I have been reading about jazz on other forums. From what I have learned, it’s more than the guitar, amp and amp settings. One has to learn the jazz cords. These would be MAJ6, MAJ7, dim, 6/9, m7 and many more. It’s a whole new vocabulary. This means lots of studying to do. There is not enough time in one’s life to do what we all want to accomplish, but we sure will have fun trying!
    O yeah! Freaky chords & jazz notions. Those cats love progressions which modulate keys n' such. It's the changes, dig? It's the *changes*.

I agree the Boutique clean would be good, so would any of the models on the left hand side.
    Last edited by tot_Ou_tard; October 24th, 2006 at 11:13 AM.
    I pick a moon dog.

Post Thanks / Like

The longer I use my AD30VT, the more I like the Tweed 4x10 model. IMO, this is the most flexible model on the amp because of the range of tones you can achieve in conjunction with amp controls, your guitar's controls, and an added OD pedal...or two! It's a great model for jazz tones, expecially using the neck pickup of a humbucker guitar, with warm, round, mellow tones. But it really excels for classic rock and blues.

I use the settings in the image below as my starting point, and then play around with the tone stack and the Gain control to get the tones I'm looking for. The Gain knob is useful up to around 2 PM or so, but I find it's too muddy above that. I tend to leave it somewhere in the 10 AM - noon range, and then dial in the amount of overdrive/distortion that I want with one of my two OD pedals--the Bad Monkey and the Radial Tonebone Classic.

For my two humbucker guitars, the combination of the Bad Monkey with these model settings handles most of the classic rock tones I want. Between the amp's Gain knob and the controls on the Monk, you can cover a pretty healthy range of tones, from clean up through a moderate degree of "crunch" or distortion. For higher degrees of distortion, you're better off using one of the AD30VT's higher gain amp models, like the UK '80's and the others on the righthand side of the amp model dial.

For my Strat, the Tweed and Bad Monkey deliver a nice blues tone, but this guitar needs to be boosted more for mid-range distortion levels, and the Tonebone comes in handy for that. As of late, I've taken to using the Tonebone to establish a nice crunchy edge for the "baseline" of a song and then kick in the Bad Monkey for an extra volume and incremental overdrive boost for leads. Works great!

Last edited by duhvoodooman; October 25th, 2006 at 08:46 PM. Reason: Better image

Amps & Cabs - "Kap'n Kerrang-aroo" BYOC 18W TMB kit amp head; Mojave Coyote head; Fender Hot Rod Deluxe Lacquered Tweed Ltd. Ed.; Allen Sweet Spot kit amp; BYOC Tweed Royal kit amp; Epiphone Valve Jr. combo + mods; Drive 2x12 cab / Celestion G12M Greenback + G12H30; AB Custom Audio 1x12 cab / Celestion Alnico Blue

Pedals/Effects - ZILLIONS, including DVM's Home-built Pedals - See some HERE and HERE, TOO!

DVM's Gear Photos
    Visit MY WEBSITE!

Post Thanks / Like

Wow, I should try that AC15 model for Jazz. I have been using the Blackface 2x12 (Fender Twin model) all this time. I need to try some of the other amp models.

I am really happy with the Valvetronix amp. I've been using a AD120VTX for about the past year now and it is one versatile amp.

My favorite amp models on it are the Blackface 2x12 (for clean sounds), the Tweed Bassman model for Blues lead tones, and also the AC30 models for dirty rhthym sounds.

But one of my favorite amp models is the Boutique OD model for fat lead sounds. You can nail a very nice sound for doing Santana, or Gary Moore kind of tones. It's really fat and kind of vocal sounding.

-- Jim
    Electrics: Hamer Newport, Fender Clapton Strat, Ibanez AF86, Line6 Variax 700
    Acoustic Guitars: Taylor 514CE, Martin J40-M
    Dobro: Regal "Black Lightning Dobro"
    Mandolin: Morgan Monroe Mandolin
    Amps: Egnater Rebel 30, Vox AD120VTX, Roland Cube 60
    http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page...?bandid=301718

Post Thanks / Like

Jim, the darker class A sound is perfect for Jazz. I use the AC15 & AC15TB models a lot. I also like to dial in the UK80´s setting on low gain for a real tasty Mike Stern sound.
    I can't say that I've given up on a flanger cause I've never liked the effect either. I also can't say the same about Tremolo. I hate them both equally. - Tone2TheBone 2009

Post Thanks / Like

That's great. I'll try these other models. I would not have tried them had I not read your suggestions. I really like Mike Stern's tone!

I like Robben Ford's tone too. You can get that one pretty close with the Boutique OD model.

-- Jim
    Electrics: Hamer Newport, Fender Clapton Strat, Ibanez AF86, Line6 Variax 700
    Acoustic Guitars: Taylor 514CE, Martin J40-M
    Dobro: Regal "Black Lightning Dobro"
    Mandolin: Morgan Monroe Mandolin
    Amps: Egnater Rebel 30, Vox AD120VTX, Roland Cube 60
    http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page...?bandid=301718

Camrose, Alberta, Canada - used to be Umea Sweden.
    Post Thanks / Like

You guys don't mean you like Stern's OD sound do you? I like his clean jazz sound, but his distorted sound - yuck! I could never play with such a tone, I'd throw up on the spot.
    The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.
    Master Guitar Academy - I also teach via SKYPE.

Post Thanks / Like

Robert! SHAME ON YOU!
    Mike Stern has the most delicious tone I´ve ever heard when he kicks in that DS-1! Add a splash of Chorus and you are in tele tone heaven.
    Just listen to the track "You never know" from the 1996 release "Between the lines". Insanely great drumming, iirc its Dave Weckl pounding away behind Sterns power chord fest

Post Thanks / Like

Voodooman - I tried your AD30VT settings from the attachment above with my strat with 3 single coils. I got a very good tone which was easily to adjust to various other settings. My only problem was I also had a constant hissing sound out of the amp. I did not have time to try hum buckers with the Tweed 4X10 model. I attempted to play with the noise reduction without any success.
    Guitars:

Electric: Washburn HB-30, Squier Tele Custom Deluxe, Jay Turser Strat.
    Acoustic: Seagull S6.

AMPs: VOX AD30VT, Peavey Envoy 110.

Modelers: V-AMP 2, Digitech RP-100A.

Pedals: Boss RC-2 Loop Station, Boss CE-5 Chorus Ensemble, Digitech Bad Monkey, Ibanez DE7 Delay/Echo, DOD VFX40B 7-Band Graphic EQ, Ibanez CS-5 Super Chorus.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by duhvoodooman
    I often use a similar setting.

As far as how to to tweak the VOX models, the most important thing to undrstand is that the Valvetronix amps try to mimic the behavior of the various amps. This is particularly relevant in terms of the tone knobs. Instead of starting with the tone knobs all at 12:00 start with the settings descibed in the manual and tweak from there. The Tonelab manual has more information than the AD30VT manual; go find that at the VOX home page and read it.

You should really explore the tone space not just mess with gain etc to find the sound you're after. This was a revelation to me. I get better sounds the more time I spend with a particular model.

As Nelskie has often remarked about modellers, it takes a little time to understand them.
    I pick a moon dog.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tot_Ou_tard
    As far as how to to tweak the VOX models, the most important thing to undrstand is that the Valvetronix amps try to mimic the behavior of the various amps. This is particularly relevant in terms of the tone knobs. Instead of starting with the tone knobs all at 12:00 start with the settings descibed in the manual and tweak from there. The Tonelab manual has more information than the AD30VT manual; go find that at the VOX home page and read it.

You should really explore the tone space not just mess with gain etc to find the sound you're after. This was a revelation to me. I get better sounds the more time I spend with a particular model.

As Nelskie has often remarked about modellers, it takes a little time to understand them.
    I certainly didn't mean to imply that the best way to the use the AD30VT is to dial in one amp setting and then just move the gain knob around! My point was that I have found this particular setting to be quite flexible, and can dial in various degrees of OD/distortion by using the Gain in conjunction with two of my pedals.

I often do what you describe, i.e. load an amp model preset (I have the AD15/30/50/100VT presets all posted HERE) and then start tweaking to taste from there. The presets differ quite radically in their various parameter settings, reflecting the large diversity of amps--and tones--they simulate.

DVM's Gear Photos
    Visit MY WEBSITE!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast