Quote Originally Posted by Guitar-Chris
I like the Bassman, too, and also wanted THIS model with a little more gain. So i put a Marshall Bluesbreaker II pedal in front of it. It sounds great in my opinion. You can use it for solos with the neck pickup and also the bridge pickup. An alternative would be the Digitech Bad Monkey, which is used by some members here. The Vox AD Series behaves like a real tube amp when blown by a booster pedal.

Also, you will have to get used to the amp. After a while, you will be able to set nearly every kind of tone just in seconds. I most play in Manual Mode and don't use the presets.
Chris, that's the thing. The Bassman setting didn't have enough gain for me and I've saved a good clean setting on channel 1 and am looking for a good lead setting for the second channel. However, if I save a setting, it might sound good on the neck pup but not very good on the bridge pup, etc. so I'm tweaking away with the tone knobs on the guitar when switching between pups.

Some of the settings like the UK 70's overall just sounds TOO punchy/full of midrange, as does the Boutique OD. UK 80's is okay, but I can't seem to get some good top end presence. The 212 cab also adds alot of bottom end as well. Lack of a presence knob does make a difference IMHO. I've experimented with using an EQ in the loop to add some top end on some of the settings.

Manual mode with pedals might be the way to go...or just setting the Bassman fairly clean and using different pedals to color the sound on different pickups. This amp seems to take more tweaking than the Line 6 amps I owned.