Quote Originally Posted by tot_Ou_tard
As far as how to to tweak the VOX models, the most important thing to undrstand is that the Valvetronix amps try to mimic the behavior of the various amps. This is particularly relevant in terms of the tone knobs. Instead of starting with the tone knobs all at 12:00 start with the settings descibed in the manual and tweak from there. The Tonelab manual has more information than the AD30VT manual; go find that at the VOX home page and read it.

You should really explore the tone space not just mess with gain etc to find the sound you're after. This was a revelation to me. I get better sounds the more time I spend with a particular model.

As Nelskie has often remarked about modellers, it takes a little time to understand them.
I certainly didn't mean to imply that the best way to the use the AD30VT is to dial in one amp setting and then just move the gain knob around! My point was that I have found this particular setting to be quite flexible, and can dial in various degrees of OD/distortion by using the Gain in conjunction with two of my pedals.

I often do what you describe, i.e. load an amp model preset (I have the AD15/30/50/100VT presets all posted HERE) and then start tweaking to taste from there. The presets differ quite radically in their various parameter settings, reflecting the large diversity of amps--and tones--they simulate.