Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968
The ADxxVT settings thread!
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The ADxxVT settings thread!

Post Thanks / Like

Default The ADxxVT settings thread!

I've noticed quite a few of you use the ADVT series, and I do too. I thought it'd be cool to share some of your favorite settings for you and/or your favorite artists. I got the idea from an ultimate-guitar post and spotted this:

"Right i am just gonna post a load of settings that i use on my vox ad30vt, they are all in o'clock by the way.

Rhcp- under the bridge tone
    Black 2x12
    Gain- 9 o'clock
    Volume- max
    Treble- max
    Middle- 3/4 o'clock
    Bass- 9/10 o'clock
    Use compressor effect as well

Classic rock ie. led zepplin
    AC30TB setting
    Gain- 2 o'clock
    Volume- max
    Treble- 3 o'clock
    Middle- 1 o'clock
    Bass- 10/11 o'clock
    Reverb obviously works well too.

Oasis tone
    UK 90's setting
    Gain- 1/2 o'clock
    Volume- max
    Treble- 3 o'clock
    Middle- 1/2 o'clock
    Bass- 11 o'clock

Kinks tone
    UK 70's setting
    Gain- 4 o'clock
    Volume- max
    Treble- max
    Middle- 2 o'clock
    Bass- 10/11 o'clock

Sex pistols tone
    AC30TB setting
    Gain- 2/3 o'clock
    Volume- max
    Treble- 4/5 o'clock
    Middle- 2/3 o'clock
    Bass- 10 o'clock

New indie type tone e.g. futureheads, bloc party, razorlight
    AC30TB setting
    Gain- 10/11 o'clock (mess around with this to get the right amount for a particular band
    Volume- max
    Treble- max
    Middle- 3 o'clock
    Bass- 9 o'clock"

I thought that was cool, anyone else have some settings they wanna put down

Post Thanks / Like

Last night I cranked the mids up all the way on the UK70s model with the gain and volume dimed too.....made me go "yeahhh" (Rip) The nice thing about the Vox's is that they sound pretty good at ridiculous low everyone's going to bed now volumes. I still love my Marshall though.
    Guitars/Bass - MIM Fender Classic 50s Strat, MIM Fender Standard Strat, Squier Classic Vibe 50s Tele, Gibson Les Paul Studio, Epi '56 Gold Top Les Paul, Martin DSR acoustic, Sigma Martin Auditorium electric/acoustic, Squier Jazz Bass.

Amps/Cabinets/Modelers - Model 2558 50 watt Marshall Silver Anniversary Jubilee combo w/ Celestion Vintage 30s, 4x12 Marshall cabinet w/25 watt Greenback Celestions, Fender Blues Junior w/ a couple of Billm mods, Line 6 POD 2.0, Roland Micro Cube

Pedals/Effects - Cry Baby Classic Wah, Boss TU-2, Boss NS-2, Boss RC-2 Loop Station, Ross Compressor, MXR Micro Amp, Danelectro FAB Echo, Danelectro FAB Chorus, Danelectro Chicken Salad, Marshall Guv'nor Plus, Marshall Echohead, Duhvoodooman's Zonkin' Yellow Screamer, Digitech Digiverb, Digitech Bad Monkey, Dunlop Fuzz Face, Homemade Loop Bypass pedal, Duhvoodooman's Sonic Tonic (Maxon SD-9 clone +), Voodoo Labs Superfuzz

Post Thanks / Like

welcome js....this is a great forum....and there are a lot of ad**vt owners...thanks for the settings....

ww
    Quote Originally Posted by just strum
    For the record, my annoyance with Warren has a lot to do with the hissing noises he makes.
    Guitars: Gibson 1998 Les Paul Special : Peavey Predator (Early 90's Fat Strat Copy) : Ibanez GAX30TR
    Brownsville Reso - 101 Electric Reso : Fender GDO-300 Maple Quilt Top Acoustic

Amps: Fender Super Champ XD

Effects: Digitech RP250 Modeling Guitar Processor : DVM "Phased and Confused" Script Phaser Clone : Digitech Bad Monkey
    Danelectro Cool Cat Chorus : Behringer Distortion Modeler : Ernie Ball Volume Pedal : Dunlop Cry Baby Wah

Post Thanks / Like

There are great patch settings on

http://www.valvetronix.net/

And

http://www.patchtronix.com/index.php

the patchtronix site does come and go though! (bandwidth problems)
    To Old To Die Young
    Epi Les Paul
    Vox Valvetronix AD 100 vt

Post Thanks / Like

I came across this forum while doing a search for Valvetronix settings. I just bought a Vox AD100VT and for the life of me, can't seem to dial in a good lead tone for my strat. Any suggestions would be really helpful.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TS808
    I came across this forum while doing a search for Valvetronix settings. I just bought a Vox AD100VT and for the life of me, can't seem to dial in a good lead tone for my strat. Any suggestions would be really helpful.
    Define "good lead tone". What sound are you going for?

In general, I find that the sequence of:
    1. switching to Manual mode with the effects on Bypass,
    2. selecting one of the 11 amp models and dialing in the volume & tone stack, and
    3. turning off Bypass, selecting and fine-tuning the effect I want to use

works best for me. My favorite amp models with my Strat are the Boutique Clean, Black 2x12, Tweed 4x10 and AC30TB. For the first two, if I want some break-up, I use an overdrive pedal like the Bad Monkey. For the latter two, just push the Gain knob past 12 noon....
    DVM's Ever-Expanding Gear List:

Guitars - W-A-A-A-Y-Y too many to list. Check 'em all out HERE

Amps & Cabs - "Kap'n Kerrang-aroo" BYOC 18W TMB kit amp head; Mojave Coyote head; Fender Hot Rod Deluxe Lacquered Tweed Ltd. Ed.; Allen Sweet Spot kit amp; BYOC Tweed Royal kit amp; Epiphone Valve Jr. combo + mods; Drive 2x12 cab / Celestion G12M Greenback + G12H30; AB Custom Audio 1x12 cab / Celestion Alnico Blue

Pedals/Effects - ZILLIONS, including DVM's Home-built Pedals - See some HERE and HERE, TOO!

DVM's Gear Photos
    Visit MY WEBSITE!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by duhvoodooman
    Define "good lead tone". What sound are you going for?

In general, I find that the sequence of:
    1. switching to Manual mode with the effects on Bypass,
    2. selecting one of the 11 amp models and dialing in the volume & tone stack, and
    3. turning off Bypass, selecting and fine-tuning the effect I want to use

works best for me. My favorite amp models with my Strat are the Boutique Clean, Black 2x12, Tweed 4x10 and AC30TB. For the first two, if I want some break-up, I use an overdrive pedal like the Bad Monkey. For the latter two, just push the Gain knob past 12 noon....
    What I'm looking for is a good lead tone with some nice overdrive/moderate distortion. I haven't found that sweet spot on the amp yet with some of the tones. Love the Bassman but I'd like a little more gain. I haven't tried pedals yet, so that might give me what I need.

I'm still getting used to this amp too (had it for 2 weeks) so it may just be a matter of experimentation.

Do you use your neck pup or bridge for solos? Just curious.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TS808
    Love the Bassman but I'd like a little more gain. I haven't tried pedals yet, so that might give me what I need.

I'm still getting used to this amp too (had it for 2 weeks) so it may just be a matter of experimentation.
    I like the Bassman, too, and also wanted THIS model with a little more gain. So i put a Marshall Bluesbreaker II pedal in front of it. It sounds great in my opinion. You can use it for solos with the neck pickup and also the bridge pickup. An alternative would be the Digitech Bad Monkey, which is used by some members here. The Vox AD Series behaves like a real tube amp when blown by a booster pedal.

Also, you will have to get used to the amp. After a while, you will be able to set nearly every kind of tone just in seconds. I most play in Manual Mode and don't use the presets.
    Last edited by Guitar-Chris; August 8th, 2006 at 02:38 AM.
    Greetings

Christian

Guitars: Fender Telecaster Standard, Squier Classic Vibe 50's Stratocaster, Yamaha Pacifica 412V, Dean Vendetta, J&D LS-1, Collins Stage Western

Amp: Vox Valvetronix AD50VT, Fame GX60R

Pedals: DIY Box of Rock Clone, DIY Linear Power Boster, Marshall Guv'nor Plus, Marshall Regenerator, Digitech Bad Monkey, Harley Benton OD-100, Harley Benton DD-2, Behringer Hellbabe HB01 Wah, Boss DS-1, Boss TU-2, Boss DD-7, EXH Small Clone

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Guitar-Chris
    I like the Bassman, too, and also wanted THIS model with a little more gain. So i put a Marshall Bluesbreaker II pedal in front of it. It sounds great in my opinion. You can use it for solos with the neck pickup and also the bridge pickup. An alternative would be the Digitech Bad Monkey, which is used by some members here. The Vox AD Series behaves like a real tube amp when blown by a booster pedal.

Also, you will have to get used to the amp. After a while, you will be able to set nearly every kind of tone just in seconds. I most play in Manual Mode and don't use the presets.
    Chris, that's the thing. The Bassman setting didn't have enough gain for me and I've saved a good clean setting on channel 1 and am looking for a good lead setting for the second channel. However, if I save a setting, it might sound good on the neck pup but not very good on the bridge pup, etc. so I'm tweaking away with the tone knobs on the guitar when switching between pups.

Some of the settings like the UK 70's overall just sounds TOO punchy/full of midrange, as does the Boutique OD. UK 80's is okay, but I can't seem to get some good top end presence. The 212 cab also adds alot of bottom end as well. Lack of a presence knob does make a difference IMHO. I've experimented with using an EQ in the loop to add some top end on some of the settings.

Manual mode with pedals might be the way to go...or just setting the Bassman fairly clean and using different pedals to color the sound on different pickups. This amp seems to take more tweaking than the Line 6 amps I owned.

Post Thanks / Like

I have a clean Bassmann (4*10) on channel one, a slightly distorted Uk70s on the 2 channel. The manual mode ist most times set on the Uk80s with a little bit delay. So in combination with the Bluebreaker pedal i can switch between 6 different settings. Often i play chords on the bassmann, solo then with the booster on (cuts through very well). When playng crunchy rhythm i play the Uk 70s and then change on Uk80s for the solo.
    Greetings

Christian

Guitars: Fender Telecaster Standard, Squier Classic Vibe 50's Stratocaster, Yamaha Pacifica 412V, Dean Vendetta, J&D LS-1, Collins Stage Western

Amp: Vox Valvetronix AD50VT, Fame GX60R

Pedals: DIY Box of Rock Clone, DIY Linear Power Boster, Marshall Guv'nor Plus, Marshall Regenerator, Digitech Bad Monkey, Harley Benton OD-100, Harley Benton DD-2, Behringer Hellbabe HB01 Wah, Boss DS-1, Boss TU-2, Boss DD-7, EXH Small Clone

Post Thanks / Like

Got it! Here's what the issue was/is with the AD100VT. With the 212 configuration, the bottom end (bass) is pretty powerful with the master above 12:00. If I cranked the mids on the amp while running the master at 3:00, lead tones would be heavy on the midrange due to the tube distortion and produce some muddy bass. What I did tonight was set the tone on the amp with the master below or at 12:00 and that added some top end . Also, adding some compression to the lead tones also evened out the bass and the treble when using the neck pup and bridge pup respectively. I was able to dial in a sweet Boutique OD lead tone that had some top end shimmer, smooth mids, and a tighter bass. Didn't have to tweak the guitar tone knob as much on the bridge settings.

Camrose, Alberta, Canada - used to be Umea Sweden.
    Post Thanks / Like

Here is a cool blues OD tone:
    Set it to Numetal, crank up the volume and keep the gain really low, around 9-11 o'clock - just back off on the gain until you find a good tone. Set bass/mid/treble to taste; I set all 3 around 12 o'clock somewhere.

Result:
    Nice, punchy tone - but still with clarity!
    The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.
    Master Guitar Academy - I also teach via SKYPE.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Robert
    Set it to Numetal, crank up the volume and keep the gain really low, around 9-11 o'clock - just back off on the gain until you find a good tone. Set bass/mid/treble to taste; I set all 3 around 12 o'clock somewhere.

Result:
    Robert,

Believe it or not that's what I'm finding works best. I've been messing with alot of the settings and pretty much have dialed in a nice tone with the Boutique OD model. Gain at 10:00, treble at 1:00 and mids and bass at 11:00. I use the compressor to tame the highs with my bridge pup on my strat which really helps alot. I was experimenting with the numetal last night a bit on low gain, but really like the Boutique OD a little bit better,

I found with the AD100VT that on alot of the settings, the tone gets pretty muddy with the gain set past 12:00 on some of the models. Same with the EQ...too much of anything on certain models really affects the tone I'm looking for.

Thanks for the help, I really appreciate it!
    Guitars: 2003 and 2004 American series strats, Squier Classic Vibe 50's Strat, Squier Deluxe Strat.

Amps: Line 6 Spider IV 120, Vox AD50VT 212, and Peavey Transtube Bandit 112.

Pedals: Digitech Bad Monkey.

Post Thanks / Like

Result:
    Robert,

Been having some fun with this setting. Set the gain to 9:00 tonite, bass turned down to 9:00 and the treble and mids around 1:00. Great tone.
    Been using the same settings with the Boutique OD too except with the gain a little higher. Nice clarity on both models.

Must be the pink (Burgundy Mist) picks!
    Guitars: 2003 and 2004 American series strats, Squier Classic Vibe 50's Strat, Squier Deluxe Strat.

Post Thanks / Like

Result:
    I would never have dreamed of trying that combo, but you're right. It works great! I still think I prefer the Tweed 4x10, but it certainly gives me impetus to keep exploring the settings on my Vox.
    Axen: Jackson DK2M, Fender Deluxe Nashville Telecaster, Reverend Warhawk 390, Taylor 914ce, ESP LTD Surveyor-414
    Amphen: Jet City JCA22H and JCA12S cab, Carvin X-60 combo, Acoustic B20
    Effecten: "Thesis 96" Overdrive/Boost (aka DVM OD2), Hardwire DL-8 Digital Delay/Looper, DigiTech Polara Reverb, DigiTech EX-7 Expression Factory and CF-7 Chorus Factory, Danelectro CF-1 Cool Cat Fuzz
    "I wish Imagine Dragons would be stuck in an Arcade Fire for an entire Vampire Weekend."--Brian Posehn

Post Thanks / Like

Now that I'm getting more familiar with the Valvetronix, it's getting easier to tweak a good tone.

Initially, I had two dirty settings saved, and was going to use the manual mode as the 3rd channel for clean. Using the Boutique OD model, I saved one to channel 1 for the neck pup of my strat, and channel 2 for the bridge pup. Interestingly, the difference was so subtle I stuck with just one dirt setting.

This really made the strings ring out pretty well without getting muddy or overly distorted...

Gain: 10:00
    Bass: 9:00-10:00
    Mid: 1:00
    Treble: 2:00
    Reverb: 9:00
    NR: Off

With the AD100VT, I notice alot of bottom end and midrange on the amp so I dropped the bass on the amp and can always roll of the treble on my guitar tone knob.

Post Thanks / Like

Wow! I'm really loving this amp lately after going through some initial frustrations. I also added an EQ in the effects loop which makes quite a difference, but I'm getting some excellent strat tones on the Uk 70's, UK 80's, and Boutique OD models for soloing, and great cleans on the Blackfae 212.

This amp takes a little bit of patience learning its nuances, but once you do, the tones are pretty damn good. At this point, after putting an EQ in the effects loop, I see no reason for a speaker change at all. I think part of it might be that the speakers are now really broken in, and it's just a matter of finding the "sweet spot" on the EQ and gain for this amp.

Camrose, Alberta, Canada - used to be Umea Sweden.
    Post Thanks / Like

Glad to hear you are taking a liking in it! What "opened your ears", so to speak?

Through my Avatar 2x12, my 50w valvetronix shows ample skills in mojofying your tone!
    The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.
    Master Guitar Academy - I also teach via SKYPE.

Post Thanks / Like

Glad to hear you are taking a liking in it! What "opened your ears", so to speak?

Through my Avatar 2x12, my 50w valvetronix shows ample skills in mojofying your tone!
    It's sounding alot better and I'm wondering if alot has to do with the speakers breaking in as well as adding the external EQ. It's not as bass heavy now and it seems that for whatever reason, all of a sudden there is more top end to the amp.

I usually dial in my tones for the bridge pickup on my strat, and for the neck pickup, I use the EQ to add some highs and cut some bass...nice tones.

I'm at a point now where rather than trying to find one good tone, I'm tryingto decide which one I like best...lol. The UK70's, UK 80's and Boutique OD seem to be the best (for me) with the strats for lead tones. Cleans are pretty good on this amp.

Here's the other difference....I bought an amp stand and raised it off the ground as well, which prevents the bass from deflecting off the floor causing even more bass. HUGE help. The VT seems to have more bass than other 212's that I've owned, even though it's an open back cab.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast