Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The Agile Goldtop Blues

Post Thanks / Like

Nelskie,

I'm sorry your Agile experience didn't turn out like you had hoped. Rondo did, I assume, pay for the return shipping costs when you returned the order, didn't they? They do try to satisfy their customers as best they can.

The issue with the nut is not right. Yeah, the nut should slope some towards the high E side, but not as much as you describe. In fact, it shouldn't really be noticable when you consider the overall difference in thickness of the two E strings and the nut slot depth requirement for the different strings. It's fractional.

I believe if I remember correctly that you ordered the AL 2000 w/P-90's. Is that correct? The one I order from Rondo is the AD 2500 DC, which is the double cut LP style with a flamed maple top and cream colored P-90's. Mine came through with minimal issues...very minimal. The nut on mine was as uniform as any of my other guitars and any LP I've seen. The fret work was excellent - better than the original 2800 DLX (higher grade) that I first bought from Rondo. The only things I did to the frets was to check them for level, and to polish them. The action was a little high, but that was easily remedied.

In regards to the electronics mods, you can change out the pots, toggle switch, input jack, caps, and pickups for under $155.00. And that's with CTS pots, Switchcraft toggle switch and input jack, Mallory 150 caps (or Sprague Orange Drops), and Vintage Vibe P-90 Alnico pickups. The Vintage Vibe P-90's ($125.00 delivered) are excellent pickups. They come with the Alnico magnets installed and an extra set of ceramic magnets in case you'd like to alter the pickups tone for more bite and snarl. They're copper shielded and quieter than most P-90's you'll hear.

So, you'd still be way ahead of the game if you only paid $199.99 for the guitar. You were happy with the cosmetics of the guitar. The frets could easily be polished. The nut problem was an anomoly that you're not likely to encounter again. So, if you were to re-order after Rondos move, you could still get the guitar you're looking for, with mods, for about $355.00.

Or, you may be able to get an upgraded model w/P-90's for a few bucks more. I can tell you that I'm very pleased with my AD 2500 P-90.
    Last edited by Bloozcat; April 5th, 2006 at 12:52 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

r_a_ - Hmmmm - you bring up some interesting points. I hadn't gone quite as in-depth with the modding option, but indeed, you could trick that axe out pretty nicely with the upgrades you've mentioned. Initially, my mindset was to just get a good, out-of-the-box player to monkey around on, and dig the groovin' vibe of P-90's. The stock p'ups, as I said, were kinda' weak, so those would have to go pronto. In addition to the mods you've already stated, I would also have to: 1.) Have someone else do the work, cuz' I'm not a guitar mechanic by any stretch of the imagination - that's addt'l labor; and 2.) Probably would have to have the nut replaced with a bone or graphit unit - again, addt'l cost. Now we're in the range of $400+, which is a long ways from where we started.

Hey, I've been on the Agile website, and already know there's legions of happy Agile guitar owners. Maybe I didn't give it much of a shot. I mean, $400 for a screaming LP Goldtop copy - that's pretty small potatoes in the grand scheme of things, isn't it.

Now you've at least made me want to sleep on it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Nelskie
    Now you've at least made me want to sleep on it.
    you know if it you sleep on it not only would it be extremely uncomfortable but if you end up breaking it then you are f'ed
    Quote Originally Posted by just strum
    For the record, my annoyance with Warren has a lot to do with the hissing noises he makes.
    Guitars: Gibson 1998 Les Paul Special : Peavey Predator (Early 90's Fat Strat Copy) : Ibanez GAX30TR
    Brownsville Reso - 101 Electric Reso : Fender GDO-300 Maple Quilt Top Acoustic

Amps: Fender Super Champ XD

Effects: Digitech RP250 Modeling Guitar Processor : DVM "Phased and Confused" Script Phaser Clone : Digitech Bad Monkey
    Danelectro Cool Cat Chorus : Behringer Distortion Modeler : Ernie Ball Volume Pedal : Dunlop Cry Baby Wah

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12