Thread: Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat

Camrose, Alberta, Canada - used to be Umea Sweden.
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat

I got asked to play guitar for this play that is being set up here in town - Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat. I decided to get one my guitar students to do it instead, and the show opens tonight!

I've had to learn it all myself too, and I've been teaching him all the guitar parts over a couple of months now. I hope he is ready.

There are a dozen shows or so, and I will do the last 2 myself since my student is unavailable then. Should be interesting!

The amp being used is my Vox AD50VT.
    The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.
    Master Guitar Academy - I also teach via SKYPE.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I have seen that play, two different version. It would be interesting to hear a guitar oriented score.
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Amphs: Peavey Classic 30, '61 Fender Concert
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

love is the answer, at least for most of the questions in my heart. . .
    - j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

I really like Andrew Lloyd Weber, but I haven't seen this play.

A guitar score, huh?

Post Thanks / Like

No, it's the original score, which includes guitar.
    The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.

Post Thanks / Like

Good luck to your student (& you)!

I've never seen it, how does it compare to Jesus Christ Superstar?
    I pick a moon dog.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks! I don't know how it compares to that one.

Post Thanks / Like

I love that show. Do you know if the guitar score for Joseph is publicly available?

I'd love to get to the point where I could play guitar in a pit orchestra. I've done that a few times on piano, but would be interested in what guitar scores look like and how to best learn the parts.

Some scores are pretty sketchy from my memory (Pippin was the worst I've seen).

Guitars: Takamine F-349, PRS Mira
    Pedals: Line 6 M13 Stompbox Modeler, Boss TU-2 Tuner
    Amp: VOX Valvetronix AD30VT, Ultrasound AG-50DS4

Post Thanks / Like

I think you have to buy the score.
    Last edited by Robert; March 18th, 2008 at 07:19 AM. Reason: schpeling

Post Thanks / Like

It's a great thing to take part in such a play as a musician. On April 27 I will also take part in a play. It is called King Gugubo and I have arranged the squire and the music together with a classical piano player. Of course I will play guitar. Furthermore I will play a little role and sing two songs for which I do not have to play guitar, because these are two rap songs with beat only.

I am pretty nervous to be honest. I am fiddling around with the notes for wuite some time and the level is pretty high, difficult rhythm structures and so on.

It is a challenge but I already love it!

Good luck for your play and enjoy these two times you are going to play it. A modeling amp is for sure the perfect solutiion for such occasions.
    "A lot of people in the industry want to blame downloading for the state of the business. But I think if most music wasn't shit to begin with people wouldn't be downloading it for free," - Corey Taylor (Slipknot)

Post Thanks / Like

Do you have a short synopsis of King Gugubo Jimi? Never heard of it.

How is Joseph going Robert?
    I pick a moon dog.

Post Thanks / Like

My student says it's been going great! I haven't been to watch it yet. I play the last 2 gigs anyway.

Never heard of King Gugobo Jimi.

Post Thanks / Like

King Gugubo is a German play that takes place in the stoneage. Several folks of different tribes are celebrating the birthday of King Gugubo. A group of giants and kids makes a trip throughout the different places where the tribes live to invite them and of course they experience some adventures during their journey.

It is a great piece for kids and I enjoy preparing for it very much. It is really good to do something musically different.
    "A lot of people in the industry want to blame downloading for the state of the business. But I think if most music wasn't shit to begin with people wouldn't be downloading it for free," - Corey Taylor (Slipknot)

Post Thanks / Like

I just finished the first of the two gigs I'm doing. It went quite well, but we were tucked away in a corner and had trouble hearing the singers. On one song, the bass player mixed up the 1 and the 2, since we were supposed to follow the singer and he couldn't really here where he was in the beat... that was ugly for a few moments until somehow it fell back into place. I had a good time and I played so loud, they told me to turn down!
    I used my Vox AD50VT.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Robert
    I just finished the first of the two gigs I'm doing. It went quite well, but we were tucked away in a corner and had trouble hearing the singers. On one song, the bass player mixed up the 1 and the 2, since we were supposed to follow the singer and he couldn't really here where he was in the beat... that was ugly for a few moments until somehow it fell back into place. I had a good time and I played so loud, they told me to turn down!
    I used my Vox AD50VT.
    I'm glad it's going well.

They should get an inexpensive mic & monitor so the band can hear what's happening on stage.

Which amph models didja use?
    I pick a moon dog.

Post Thanks / Like

Tweed 4x10 works good. Nice and bright tone with my Squier Tele cuts through well.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Robert
    Tweed 4x10 works good. Nice and bright tone with my Squier Tele cuts through well.
    Ah, you're using your tele not your strat.
    I pick a moon dog.