Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: August Rush - Review

Post Thanks / Like

Default August Rush - Review

Friends,
    Haven't seen a thread on this yet but if it exists please pardon the duplication. August Rush is the movie out on DVD this week about the young boy that journeys to find his parents using music and the inner voice. It seems a little predictable and even corny or far-fetched at times but I enjoyed it and think that most parents and musicians, alike, will agree that the film is definitely worth watching. Two thumbs up.

Post Thanks / Like

Gee, I guess I'll never know. All we have here is Movie Gallery. Found out that ONLY Blockbuster carries it. They have the "exclusive" distribution rights to rent it. The closest one from here is probably 60 miles away.

Thanks a bunch, Blockbuster...

Post Thanks / Like

bigoldron - i don't rent. bought it at walmart.

Post Thanks / Like

we watched it last night on pay per view. i must own this movie... it made me cry; it really touched me. excellent, two thumbs way up from the movie freak. :
    2006 Washburn WD55SW Augusta, 2006 Washburn J28S12DL, Washburn EA20SDL,
    2008 American Standard Fender Telecaster
    2008 Rondo Limited Edition SST, G&L ASAT Semi-Hollow, Gibson LP Ultra

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I saw it in the movie theatre with my wife and we enjoyed it very much. Bit o' a tear jerker. Though I was thinking in my mind that it could seem predictable or corny, it touched us somehow anyway.
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Amphs: Peavey Classic 30, '61 Fender Concert
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

love is the answer, at least for most of the questions in my heart. . .
    - j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

Wow! What a great movie. I don't mind that I was crying through about half of it but the messages are great. I've been listening.

"No Tele For you." - The Tele Nazi

Ha! Tele-ish now inbound.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm glad all of you saw the movie - thanks for your comments. If I may hijack my own thread... on a contrary note, I bought Val Kilmer's "the Doors" and was disappointed. This movie is several years old but new to me. I'm sure Val Kilmer did a good job acting as Jim Morrison but the overall story was a bummer. Nothing but drugs, booze and cigarettes. I suppose it may be an accurate portrayal of The Doors but sometimes the truth is unpleasant.

Anyone else care to rate this one? I give it two thumbs down!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I remember seeing it in the theatre and being unimpressed.
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

- j. johnson

Camrose, Alberta, Canada - used to be Umea Sweden.
    Post Thanks / Like

I have yet to see this movie. I'll have to find it. The Doors movie sucked, yeah.
    The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.
    Master Guitar Academy - I also teach via SKYPE.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Skip77
    I'm glad all of you saw the movie - thanks for your comments. If I may hijack my own thread... on a contrary note, I bought Val Kilmer's "the Doors" and was disappointed. This movie is several years old but new to me. I'm sure Val Kilmer did a good job acting as Jim Morrison but the overall story was a bummer. Nothing but drugs, booze and cigarettes. I suppose it may be an accurate portrayal of The Doors but sometimes the truth is unpleasant.

Anyone else care to rate this one? I give it two thumbs down!
    If you read the book "No One Here Gets Out Alive" then you'll understand the movie better I think. The movie isn't far off in my opinion and if that is the way it was then so be it. I'm just grateful for the terrific music they gave us.

The truth isn't always pretty or what you thought it was. I liked the movie but it certainly didn't leave me feeling real happy.

Post Thanks / Like

that's exactly what I thought of the book and the movie- both were quite depressing. I hate to say it but I ended up being not quite so impressed with Jim Morrison. Maybe he was "creatively inspired" by his drug use but still, imagine what he could have done otherwise?

I'll have to look for August Rush, I've never seen it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

August Rush is a completely different story than the Doors movie. Inspiration by connection to living beings, and positive energy in the universe vs. inspiration by drugs and darkness. I like a lot of the old Doors music, in measure, and really like the bluesy stuff, but I can't hang there too long. Kinda like Hunter S. Thompson. Intellectually very interesting, but I can't stay there.
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

- j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

Have your hanky ready when you watch August Rush.

Post Thanks / Like

Will it give me bonus points if I watch it with my wife?

Seriously, I am going to find it and watch it this weekend.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

My wife and I enjoyed it very much together.
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

- j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sunvalleylaw
    My wife and I enjoyed it very much together.
    Same here.

Post Thanks / Like

I hate movies that make you get all choked up. The part at the end with the slow moving camera and music in the background builds everything up to an emotional climax when (spoiler happens). Well done and well planned out. *sniff sniff* We're giving it to my youngest daughter as part of her birfday this weekend.
    Guitars/Bass - MIM Fender Classic 50s Strat, MIM Fender Standard Strat, Squier Classic Vibe 50s Tele, Gibson Les Paul Studio, Epi '56 Gold Top Les Paul, Martin DSR acoustic, Sigma Martin Auditorium electric/acoustic, Squier Jazz Bass.

Amps/Cabinets/Modelers - Model 2558 50 watt Marshall Silver Anniversary Jubilee combo w/ Celestion Vintage 30s, 4x12 Marshall cabinet w/25 watt Greenback Celestions, Fender Blues Junior w/ a couple of Billm mods, Line 6 POD 2.0, Roland Micro Cube

Pedals/Effects - Cry Baby Classic Wah, Boss TU-2, Boss NS-2, Boss RC-2 Loop Station, Ross Compressor, MXR Micro Amp, Danelectro FAB Echo, Danelectro FAB Chorus, Danelectro Chicken Salad, Marshall Guv'nor Plus, Marshall Echohead, Duhvoodooman's Zonkin' Yellow Screamer, Digitech Digiverb, Digitech Bad Monkey, Dunlop Fuzz Face, Homemade Loop Bypass pedal, Duhvoodooman's Sonic Tonic (Maxon SD-9 clone +), Voodoo Labs Superfuzz

Post Thanks / Like

3 copies just came in from amazon yesterday.

one for us, one for part of my mom's bday, and one for part of Baby Girl's birthday...
    2006 Washburn WD55SW Augusta, 2006 Washburn J28S12DL, Washburn EA20SDL,
    2008 American Standard Fender Telecaster
    2008 Rondo Limited Edition SST, G&L ASAT Semi-Hollow, Gibson LP Ultra

Post Thanks / Like

Wow, this has turned out to be a good thread - enjoying all the comments - thanks folks! I picked up a copy of August Rush when it came out in Walmart, last Tue or the week before. One I never saw about guitar, Crossroads - can anyone comment on that one? Looked good in previews back when it was circulating.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast