Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: August Rush - Review

Post Thanks / Like

I'll be honest folks. This movie made me tear up more than I've teared up since "Field of Dreams".

By the way, CB doesn't understand Field of Dreams. COMEON . . . that was his Dad dude!!
    Guitars and other stringed instruments: Washburn D10S, Washburn EA52SWCE, Washburn Cumberland J28SDL, Washburn D46S12, D'Aquisto Centura, Rover RM-50B Mando

Amps and Cabs: Behringer AT108, Firefly Tube Amph, Blackheart Little Giant BH5H, Shiner's Custom Cab v.1.0

". . . because without beer, things do not seem to go as well . . ." Brother Epp, Capuchin Monastery, Munjor, Kansas 1902

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

You know when your eyes get all puffy and your throat hurts a little from choking it all back? Yeah, like that.

I loved Field of Dreams as well. There is the father/son story, a redemption aspect, a lot of things. I have to go rent that one again. I liked Seabiscuit too. Crossroads I saw a long time ago on HBO or something, and can't remember much about it. I wasn't playing guitar back then, so that part didn't grab me. I guess the movie itself didn't either, or I would remember more. i like movies.
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Amphs: Peavey Classic 30, '61 Fender Concert
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

love is the answer, at least for most of the questions in my heart. . .
    - j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah Shiner... I hear you on Field of Dreams... just cut your heart out to see his father coming out of the corn and ask him to have a catch etc... very interesting that CB doesn't get it. I think it might be that boys bond to their father or father-figure differently than girls do. For us, our father or father-figure is a hero, mentor... friend... all kinds of things. I know that dad means all that to little girls too.

My dad died when I was two and so Field of Dreams tears me up because in a strange way, since I never got to have a catch with my dad etc... it gets me... the thought of him appearing like that... standing there getting to talk with him, have a catch.. well... would be magical for sure.

Good movies discussed in this thread!

Post Thanks / Like

Skip I totally can relate to you in regards to a lost dad. I too feel the same way during that part in the film....
    Guitars/Bass - MIM Fender Classic 50s Strat, MIM Fender Standard Strat, Squier Classic Vibe 50s Tele, Gibson Les Paul Studio, Epi '56 Gold Top Les Paul, Martin DSR acoustic, Sigma Martin Auditorium electric/acoustic, Squier Jazz Bass.

Amps/Cabinets/Modelers - Model 2558 50 watt Marshall Silver Anniversary Jubilee combo w/ Celestion Vintage 30s, 4x12 Marshall cabinet w/25 watt Greenback Celestions, Fender Blues Junior w/ a couple of Billm mods, Line 6 POD 2.0, Roland Micro Cube

Pedals/Effects - Cry Baby Classic Wah, Boss TU-2, Boss NS-2, Boss RC-2 Loop Station, Ross Compressor, MXR Micro Amp, Danelectro FAB Echo, Danelectro FAB Chorus, Danelectro Chicken Salad, Marshall Guv'nor Plus, Marshall Echohead, Duhvoodooman's Zonkin' Yellow Screamer, Digitech Digiverb, Digitech Bad Monkey, Dunlop Fuzz Face, Homemade Loop Bypass pedal, Duhvoodooman's Sonic Tonic (Maxon SD-9 clone +), Voodoo Labs Superfuzz

Post Thanks / Like

wait, wait, wait.

i GET field of dreams, and the loss of my father... three years ago come april 4, was a crippling, hurtful, violent loss... we found out he had cancer on 4/1 and was gone three days later.

the problem was when i saw it. i don't remember what it was about the movie that put me off, now.

i am completely open minded to second takes on movies and will watch it again with shiner and see if it 'takes' this time.

as to august rush, we watched it again last night and i cried even harder than i did the first time. i'm getting ready to drive to meet my mom for a belated birthday party with just her and me, and i just wish i could be holding her hand when she watches it for the first time.
    2006 Washburn WD55SW Augusta, 2006 Washburn J28S12DL, Washburn EA20SDL,
    2008 American Standard Fender Telecaster
    2008 Rondo Limited Edition SST, G&L ASAT Semi-Hollow, Gibson LP Ultra

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Skip77
    Wow, this has turned out to be a good thread - enjoying all the comments - thanks folks! I picked up a copy of August Rush when it came out in Walmart, last Tue or the week before. One I never saw about guitar, Crossroads - can anyone comment on that one? Looked good in previews back when it was circulating.
    Are you talking about the one starring Ralph Macchio, i.e. "the Karate Kid"? It's something of a moron movie, i.e. predictable plot, same crappy acting by Macchio (think Karate Kid), same mentor/student theme as KK.

BUT, there is some BODACIOUS picking in that movie. It's been a lot of years since I've seen it, but I remember there being some really good blues in there. But the best was the contest between the kid and Satan's head player (who I just recently found out was Steve Vai). It smoked!

To sum it all up, it, along with the Karate Kid and Karate Kid II, has simplistic, predictable plots, not-so-great acting (Macchio's quick-tempered meathead act gets old after a while), but, like a car-wreck on the highway, you have to watch it. It's mildly addictive...

Post Thanks / Like

That was Ry Cooder and Steve Vai playing throughout the movie.

"No Tele For you." - The Tele Nazi

Ha! Tele-ish now inbound.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Spudman
    That was Ry Cooder and Steve Vai playing throughout the movie.
    That's right, I knew it was Ry Cooder (had forgotten it though), but, didn't realize that was Vai also. Musically, I thought it was a pretty cool movie. And, yes, if I had a chance, I'd watch it again...

Post Thanks / Like

Good stuff guys - and CB, you're way out of my doghouse on Field of Dreams.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Skip77
    Good stuff guys - and CB, you're way out of my doghouse on Field of Dreams.

mom's totally stoked... she is flying home right now but promises to watch it tomorrow and give me her reviews. we had a really cool visit.

Post Thanks / Like

That's awesome CB - hope you will post your mom's review when it's in!

Post Thanks / Like

i promise. had to deal with a minor crisis with 'leather pants' gram tonight, but will get with mom and report back.

one of my three closest friends has asked to watch it, and i'm loaning it to her tomorrow with instructions to keep kleenex nearby.

Post Thanks / Like

CB - hope everything resolved well for you and leather pants gram.
    Presuming the affirmative... ahem? Heard something about a "report back"?

Post Thanks / Like

no, i'm awaiting TWO now. Baby Girl should get her bday present today... so she will have her copy... mom has been wanting to watch it, but they keep calling her in to work on her days off, and so she has yet to report back.

so if they watch the movie between now and tomorrow mid-afternoon, i will report back... udderwise, it's going to be after we get back. but i promise, as Your Faithful Reporter, to get the Scoop.

Post Thanks / Like

I enjoyed the movie, it took me a bit to warm up to it though.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sunvalleylaw
    Inspiration by connection to living beings, and positive energy in the universe
    very well put svl....i just watched it....a friend of mine brought it over to me today out of the blue....said he thought i would enjoy it....

i loved the idea that music can be found everywhere and as i watched it, it made me realize how much my kids mean to me (not that i ever forget that)....i couldn't even imagine knowing my son (or daughter) was out there and i couldn't find them....they will be getting a couple extra hugs from me when they come to my place after school tomorrow!

ww
    Quote Originally Posted by just strum
    For the record, my annoyance with Warren has a lot to do with the hissing noises he makes.
    Guitars: Gibson 1998 Les Paul Special : Peavey Predator (Early 90's Fat Strat Copy) : Ibanez GAX30TR
    Brownsville Reso - 101 Electric Reso : Fender GDO-300 Maple Quilt Top Acoustic

Amps: Fender Super Champ XD

Effects: Digitech RP250 Modeling Guitar Processor : DVM "Phased and Confused" Script Phaser Clone : Digitech Bad Monkey
    Danelectro Cool Cat Chorus : Behringer Distortion Modeler : Ernie Ball Volume Pedal : Dunlop Cry Baby Wah

Post Thanks / Like

skip, i realized i had been remiss about reporting. i Promised, and i always deliver on a Promise.

mom loved it. BG not so much. she didn't find it 'believable' hence ruined it for her.

coming from the young woman who watched Stardust with me, i take that with a grain of salt. [giggle]

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry to drag up an old thread but my wife and I just watched this over the weekend (I'm a bit behind - ahem), and I had to add our four thumbs up for this movie. I don't know the last time a movie had me on the edge of my seat like this one did, for the last 15 minutes. Very moving- it is on my top ten list, period, and not just for the music (which is great).
    Thanks to all for pointing me to this excellent, excellent film!

Post Thanks / Like

I totally loved August Rush, great movie! I rented it, but will be buying a copy soon.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast