Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

The Valve Jr transformation is complete.... - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The Valve Jr transformation is complete....

Post Thanks / Like

Got ambitious and pulled out the chassis for a couple of photos:

DVM's Ever-Expanding Gear List:

Guitars - W-A-A-A-Y-Y too many to list. Check 'em all out HERE

Amps & Cabs - "Kap'n Kerrang-aroo" BYOC 18W TMB kit amp head; Mojave Coyote head; Fender Hot Rod Deluxe Lacquered Tweed Ltd. Ed.; Allen Sweet Spot kit amp; BYOC Tweed Royal kit amp; Epiphone Valve Jr. combo + mods; Drive 2x12 cab / Celestion G12M Greenback + G12H30; AB Custom Audio 1x12 cab / Celestion Alnico Blue

Pedals/Effects - ZILLIONS, including DVM's Home-built Pedals - See some HERE and HERE, TOO!

DVM's Gear Photos
    Visit MY WEBSITE!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by vroomery
    How expensive would it be to source the rest of the parts and make it a head version? I've been looking at the valve junior lately and was going to mod it into a more vox like sound anyway, so this might be a really cool option.
    Not sure what you're asking. Do you already have a Valve Jr. that you want to convert? If so, what version? Or are you talking about building a head from scratch?

Amps & Cabs - "Kap'n Kerrang-aroo" BYOC 18W TMB kit amp head; Mojave Coyote head; Fender Hot Rod Deluxe Lacquered Tweed Ltd. Ed.; Allen Sweet Spot kit amp; BYOC Tweed Royal kit amp; Epiphone Valve Jr. combo + mods; Drive 2x12 cab / Celestion G12M Greenback + G12H30; AB Custom Audio 1x12 cab / Celestion Alnico Blue

Pedals/Effects - ZILLIONS, including DVM's Home-built Pedals - See some HERE and HERE, TOO!

DVM's Gear Photos
    Visit MY WEBSITE!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Cool, that got my interest. However, I can't find any EVJ populated boards on their website.
    I'd like to get a Vox voiced one to replace my dead EVJ's board.
    Guitar: Gibson SG Standard Natural Burst, Squier CV 50's Tele, Hell Guitars No. 2, Squier CV 50's Strat, Reverend Club King 290, Taylor 522e 12-Fret mahogany,
    Squier Vintage Modified Jaguar Bass Short Scale
    Amp: Fender Super Champ X2 Head, Egnater Tweaker 15, Fender Mustang I, Acoustic B20 1x12 bass amp
    Pedal: Budda Budwah wah, Wampler Ego Compressor, Electro-Harmonix Soul Food, Voodoo Lab Sparkle Drive, Wampler Velvet Fuzz, Seven Sisters Eve Tremolo, TC Electronics Gravy Tri Chorus & Vibrato, Catalinbread Echorec, TC Electronic Alter Ego 2 Delay, Hardwire Supernatural Ambient Verb, MXR Carbon Copy, Catalinbread RAH, Big Muff Pi with Tone Wicker, BYOC Mouse 2.0 Distortion, BYOC Boost/OD-2

Post Thanks / Like

I'm talking about building one from scratch. It might be more cost effective to buy a head and replace it with a complete board.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tig
    Cool, that got my interest. However, I can't find any EVJ populated boards on their website.
    I'd like to get a Vox voiced one to replace my dead EVJ's board.
    About halfway down this page:

http://www.turretboards.com/guitar_a...ve_junior.html

I'm talking about building one from scratch. It might be more cost effective to buy a head and replace it with a complete board.
    I expect that it would be considerably cheaper to buy a VJr head and modify it than to build from scratch. The cost of transformers, chassis, hardware and cabinet would add up pretty fast. I'd suggest looking for a used head on eBay or CL.

DVM's Gear Photos
    Visit MY WEBSITE!

Post Thanks / Like

Before I owned any of the VJ amps, I built one from scratch just to see if I could do it. It came out great and sounds better than a stock VJ. I'd been collecting parts for a long time before, so I doubt I have more than $50 in it, but if you were to buy all new parts, it would no doubt cost more than a VJ amp. I would buy a used amp to further increase your savings.

Post Thanks / Like

Looks great, DVM.

Quote Originally Posted by duhvoodooman
    Got ambitious and pulled out the chassis for a couple of photos:

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Thx for the guidance. I had a killer headache yesterday and couldn't find it.

I'm really liking what I see so far.

So, it looks like you had to cut off the stock connectors and solder the wires directly to the board, right? Do they supply adequate instructions on wire placement? It sounds like yo and Tung had to adapt your past mod's to the new board. My only mod is a tone pot.

Also, how does the EVJ sound now after you've had a chance to play with it?
    Guitar: Gibson SG Standard Natural Burst, Squier CV 50's Tele, Hell Guitars No. 2, Squier CV 50's Strat, Reverend Club King 290, Taylor 522e 12-Fret mahogany,
    Amp: Fender Super Champ X2 Head, Egnater Tweaker 15, Fender Mustang I, Acoustic B20 1x12 bass amp
    Pedal: Budda Budwah wah, Wampler Ego Compressor, Electro-Harmonix Soul Food, Voodoo Lab Sparkle Drive, Wampler Velvet Fuzz, Seven Sisters Eve Tremolo, TC Electronics Gravy Tri Chorus & Vibrato, Catalinbread Echorec, TC Electronic Alter Ego 2 Delay, Hardwire Supernatural Ambient Verb, MXR Carbon Copy, Catalinbread RAH, Big Muff Pi with Tone Wicker, BYOC Mouse 2.0 Distortion, BYOC Boost/OD-2

Post Thanks / Like

So, it looks like you had to cut off the stock connectors and solder the wires directly to the board, right? Do they supply adequate instructions on wire placement?
    Yes, had to cut off the stock spade connectors on the transformer wiring and solder directly to the board. The layout diagram makes it pretty clear what you have to do, I thought. There are some grounding wires that have to be added, too, also shown on the layout.

Also, how does the EVJ sound now after you've had a chance to play with it?
    Sounds very, very good. Definitely has that juicy, single-ended Class A character. Kind of a rustic & untamed edge to the tone. This version has better clarity and more treble end than my previous mod. Candidly, I think I went a little overboard in hot rodding that one!

DVM's Gear Photos
    Visit MY WEBSITE!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by duhvoodooman
    Yes, had to cut off the stock spade connectors on the transformer wiring and solder directly to the board. The layout diagram makes it pretty clear what you have to do, I thought. There are some grounding wires that have to be added, too, also shown on the layout.

Sounds very, very good. Definitely has that juicy, single-ended Class A character. Kind of a rustic & untamed edge to the tone. This version has better clarity and more treble end than my previous mod. Candidly, I think I went a little overboard in hot rodding that one!
    Looks like something I can handle then. I'll pull the trigger tonight.

Not sure which components to choose...
    Mallory 150 or Orange Drop cap's, as well as 1 watt carbon film or 1/2 watt carbon comp resisters. I'm not sure if they make much of a difference in tone or reliability.

Post Thanks / Like

Not sure which components to choose...
    Mallory 150 or Orange Drop cap's, as well as 1 watt carbon film or 1/2 watt carbon comp resisters. I'm not sure if they make much of a difference in tone or reliability.
    The carbon films are the better technology on the resistors--less noisy. Carbon comp rezzies get talked up on the basis of "vintage mojo", whatever the hell that is. Snake oil, IMO. Less noise = mo' better, in my book.

For the caps, the usual rule of thumb is Mallories for British style amp tone (Vox, Marshall), and Orange Drops for the more glassy, Fenderish tone. I went with the Mallories on my Voxy board. I've never compared the two types side-by-side, but I'll bet the difference is pretty darned subtle....

DVM's Gear Photos
    Visit MY WEBSITE!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Talking

My EVJ board arrived today. Its the Voxy version as well. Hopefully I'll wire it up next week.

Post Thanks / Like

Ah the yellow board. Should provide slightly glassier treble and more intricately shaped highs than the red one DVM has....

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ch0jin
    Ah the yellow board. Should provide slightly glassier treble and more intricately shaped highs than the red one DVM has....
    You know it!
    Yellow boards are the secret to increased touch sensitivity as well, but don't tell DVM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Wait, that's' a Vox/Fender version..it has an Orange Drop AND a Mallory! Are you sure it won't explode or something? What if the Orange Drop goes for Declaration of Independence?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ch0jin
    You know it!
    Yellow boards are the secret to increased touch sensitivity as well, but don't tell DVM.
    But the red boards have more tonal warmth and superior gain characteristics. This is widely known....

Seriously, that's great, Tig. Looking forward to hear what you think of the finished product.

BTW, Bloozcat just got one of these new VJr boards, too....

DVM's Gear Photos
    Visit MY WEBSITE!

Post Thanks / Like

Yep, mine came in last Thursday, one day before I went out of town for 4-days. I should get started on it this week the good Lord willin' and the creek don't rise.

And of course, mine is a red board as well....
    Ah, nothing relieves the discomfort of GAS pains like the sound of the UPS truck rumbling down your street. It's like the musician's Beano.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Bloozcat
    Yep, mine came in last Thursday, one day before I went out of town for 4-days. I should get started on it this week the good Lord willin' and the creek don't rise.

And of course, mine is a red board as well....
    Yes, but the yellow board will make women within range turn to puddy in your hands. It's a known fact!

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, but the yellow board will make women within range turn to puddy in your hands. It's a known fact!
    Ahhh... my dashing good looks and natural animal magnetism already does that...
    Ah, nothing relieves the discomfort of GAS pains like the sound of the UPS truck rumbling down your street. It's like the musician's Beano.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12