Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
Methods to hold components while soldering?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Methods to hold components while soldering?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Methods to hold components while soldering?

I got to practice soldering on my recent guitar find, and one of the initial difficulties is finding ways to hold components while soldering.

What do you use, short of the fancy, pro-level, articulated-joints fixtures.

I have seen some tutorials showing repurposed clamps and such.
    Less golf, more saxophone

Post Thanks / Like

I use hemostats mainly. I pick them up in various lengths and shapes at the local flea market. They also make excellent heat sinks when soldering.

The other thing I use if the components are free standing is a device called "helping hands":

Cost is $3.99 at Harbor Freight Tools. I think I paid $2.99 with a coupon.
    Ah, nothing relieves the discomfort of GAS pains like the sound of the UPS truck rumbling down your street. It's like the musician's Beano.

Post Thanks / Like

Rubber bands on needlenose pliers.
    _____

GUITARS - Carvin DC127M - Carvin Bolt kit
    AMPS - Bogner Alchemist 112 - Blackheart Handsome Devil half stack
    FXs - Roger Linn Adrenalinn III - Boss GT-10
    _____

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bloozcat
    free standing is a device called "helping hands":

Ah, that is the name of what I called "articulated-joint fixture".

Argh... Nearest HF is quite far from me, and the (very good) local electronic store will want a bundle for a brand model, I am sure.

Post Thanks / Like

In addition to the methods BC already mentioned: Visegrips & a gentle hand tightening the screw....
    DVM's Ever-Expanding Gear List:

Guitars - W-A-A-A-Y-Y too many to list. Check 'em all out HERE

Amps & Cabs - "Kap'n Kerrang-aroo" BYOC 18W TMB kit amp head; Mojave Coyote head; Fender Hot Rod Deluxe Lacquered Tweed Ltd. Ed.; Allen Sweet Spot kit amp; BYOC Tweed Royal kit amp; Epiphone Valve Jr. combo + mods; Drive 2x12 cab / Celestion G12M Greenback + G12H30; AB Custom Audio 1x12 cab / Celestion Alnico Blue

Pedals/Effects - ZILLIONS, including DVM's Home-built Pedals - See some HERE and HERE, TOO!

DVM's Gear Photos
    Visit MY WEBSITE!

Post Thanks / Like

My wife......

Post Thanks / Like

I've used many of the above methods (except Heywood's wife ). Soldering is about the only time I wished I had a third arm.
    Axen: Jackson DK2M, Fender Deluxe Nashville Telecaster, Reverend Warhawk 390, Taylor 914ce, ESP LTD Surveyor-414
    Amphen: Jet City JCA22H and JCA12S cab, Carvin X-60 combo, Acoustic B20
    Effecten: "Thesis 96" Overdrive/Boost (aka DVM OD2), Hardwire DL-8 Digital Delay/Looper, DigiTech Polara Reverb, DigiTech EX-7 Expression Factory and CF-7 Chorus Factory, Danelectro CF-1 Cool Cat Fuzz
    "I wish Imagine Dragons would be stuck in an Arcade Fire for an entire Vampire Weekend."--Brian Posehn

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Heywood Jablomie
    My wife......
    I was thinking same, but figured it won't work!

I also reminded myself I should have had children... useful little buggers!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by marnold
    I've used many of the above methods (except Heywood's wife ). Soldering is about the only time I wished I had a third arm.
    Thanks for the unexpected laughter, Rev!

I have some super skinny needle nose plyers I use, but also fashion together something make-shift from scrap wires for those wierd situations. Most of the time, nothing is needed.
    Guitar: Gibson SG Standard Natural Burst, Squier CV 50's Tele, Hell Guitars No. 2, Squier CV 50's Strat, Reverend Club King 290, Taylor 522e 12-Fret mahogany,
    Squier Vintage Modified Jaguar Bass Short Scale
    Amp: Fender Super Champ X2 Head, Egnater Tweaker 15, Fender Mustang I, Acoustic B20 1x12 bass amp
    Pedal: Budda Budwah wah, Wampler Ego Compressor, Electro-Harmonix Soul Food, Voodoo Lab Sparkle Drive, Wampler Velvet Fuzz, Seven Sisters Eve Tremolo, TC Electronics Gravy Tri Chorus & Vibrato, Catalinbread Echorec, TC Electronic Alter Ego 2 Delay, Hardwire Supernatural Ambient Verb, MXR Carbon Copy, Catalinbread RAH, Big Muff Pi with Tone Wicker, BYOC Mouse 2.0 Distortion, BYOC Boost/OD-2

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Heywood Jablomie
    My wife......
    +1
    -----------------------------------------
    I've just been on a once-in-a-lifetime holiday. I'll tell you what, never again.

Post Thanks / Like

Funny, "Mr Pants" likes to have his wife hold his "components".

A picture would be very helpful, Mr Pants.
    We would like to see how it is working out, so we can all learn something. That's what the forum is all about!

Post Thanks / Like

i have haemostats, fishing fly vice, forceps, needle nose pliers and the rubber band, a helping hand thingy, a soldering aid set and i still need another set of hands.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Interesting...I have this tiny vice I use sometimes, and some plastic small clamps...but mostly I try to affix the pots to the guitar and just try and wing it.
    Dee

"When life's a biatch, be a horny dog"

Amps: Marshall JVM 410H w/ Plexi Cap mod, Choke Mod & Negative Feedback Removal mod, 4x12", Behringer GMX110, Amplitube 3/StealthPedal

Half a dozen custom built/bastardized guitars all with EMG's, mostly 85's, Ibanez Artwood acoustic & Yamaha SGR bass, Epiphone Prophecy SG, Vox Wah, Pitchblack tuner plus assorted pedals, rack gear etc. for home studio use.

Post Thanks / Like

Toes.
    -Sean
    Guitars: Lots.
    Amphs: More than last year.
    Pedals: Many, although I go straight from guitar to amp more often lately.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by poodlesrule
    Ah, that is the name of what I called "articulated-joint fixture".

Argh... Nearest HF is quite far from me, and the (very good) local electronic store will want a bundle for a brand model, I am sure.
    $12 (shipping included) from ebay maybe cheaper if you look around:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-Helping-Hand...item43a244c8de
    I use something like this regularly as well as some bent-nosed pliers.

Or if you're into cheap vintage try this:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/Hopalong-Cassidy...item3cb1436e0e

Comes complete with two Hop-Ups...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FrankenFretter
    Toes.

No safety shoes..?

Other: being a good dog, I bought some DeoxIT... and red thin tube does NOT want to fit into spray nozzle, making it near-useless. Sheesh.

Post Thanks / Like

Same here. I have some locking hemostats and this same magnifying device pictured below from Harbor Freight. It was cheap!

Quote Originally Posted by Bloozcat
    I use hemostats mainly. I pick them up in various lengths and shapes at the local flea market. They also make excellent heat sinks when soldering.

The other thing I use if the components are free standing is a device called "helping hands":

"No Tele For you." - The Tele Nazi

Ha! Tele-ish now inbound.

Post Thanks / Like

I have this total sense I've posted this before here so sorry if it's a repeat, but back in the days when I soldered for a living (component level repair of PCB's usually) we (the other techs and I) used pretty much all the methods above with one addition. But before I get to that, my personal main tools for this were a large pair of locking tweezers and (sorry I don't know the medical term) but a locking clamp thing (it's like a pair of scissors, but with like tweezer tips that locks closed) I got from a dentist. (I actually got a bunch of really, really useful tools from my old dentist)

Those devices with the clamps and arms and magnifying glasses are awesome for working on small boards and individual components, but as most of the gear I worked on had far larger PCB's and I often worked on them in the chassis, I never bothered to buy one. I would however totally endorse their use for the smaller stuff!

Now the one thing that hasn't been mentioned is fingers. I used and still use them a lot. If it's not too hot to hold, it's not going to be too hot to damage a component. I used to do this with sensitive IC's a LOT. Push the chip into the board and leave your finger on it as you solder it in. It's quite easy to overheat an IC of your not careful, but this way you get a real "feel" for how hot the component is getting.

Post Thanks / Like

Ch0jin got it with fingers ~ That's pretty much all you need most of the time. With a little practice you can hold your solder in the same hand you're using to position your component.
    For working in an amp or wiring a LP style guitar where the pots are down in the control cavity I sometimes use hemostats although I don't use them to try and hold parts together. I'll put the tip under a wire and let the stats hang so that it raises or pushes the wire against the terminal. I don't use hemostats as a heat sink for caps and small components as the weight of them could easily pull the lead out of a cap. Some caps are really fragile. I use copper alligator clips instead. They are light and I guessed the copper would absorb the heat faster than stainless steel.
    When soldering to the bottom of pots I give them a touch with sandpaper first, then try and bend the component lead or wire so that it's pushing itself against the pot, and make sure the iron is good and hot.
    The wiring in a guitar like a Strat is pretty easy to get at and you'll probably find you don't need any helping hands.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast