Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Guitar Player vs. Guitar World

Post Thanks / Like

GP is definitely aimed at a broader, arguably older market. GW is definitely for a younger more metal/hard rock market. I was a GP subscriber for a few years after I asked for a subscription for a Christmas present, but let it expire after awhile. I currently have a GW subscription that I won in an online contest. It's fun to read but not something I'd pay for.

Post Thanks / Like

If you want some awesome guitar tuition then subscribe to Guitar Techniques Magazine.
    It's not cheap but it has awesome instructionals and fantastic writers. Can't recommend this magazine enough!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by deeaa View Post
    You know, this made me giggle to myself...I have like a dozen or so GP's lying around here, I suppose I have saved them because they each had a nice lesson or tab on them. But, in 25 years or so I think I can still easily count with my fingers the exercises or tabs I actually did from any magazine...still I keep them round just in case I sometimes would actually try one :-)
    HaHa!!! When I saw this thread, and before I knew it was resurrected and that I had already posted that, I had the same thought again. I still have those mags though!! I also get Acoustic Guitar, which gives some good, basic playing tips that I also have not used much.
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Amphs: Peavey Classic 30, '61 Fender Concert
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

love is the answer, at least for most of the questions in my heart. . .
    - j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

I like both GP and GW. Sometimes GP is just a bit too intellectual for me. The interviews are a bit too high brow. On the other hand GW often has too much shredder metal stuff. Combined though they are good!
    Amps:Crate V50, Line6 Flextone, Vox VT15.
    Guitars: Dean EVO Special, Fender Strat, Blueridge Acoustic, Dean Bass.
    Effects: Line6 DM4 Distortion Modeller.

Post Thanks / Like

I used to subscribe to both GW and GP. I made the decision to drop one because they pretty much mimic one another with their featured guitarists, and sometimes even gear. Back when I first started playing in the 80s (before I put it down for 15 years), I subscribed to GP for a few years. I almost chose them because of that fact, but ended up going with GW just to switch it up a bit. They really seem almost too similar to me. My other subscription is Vintage Guitar magazine. Interestingly, they have a few of the same featured guitarists as GW this month, probably due to some new recordings being out right now. I imagine GP probably had Randy Rhoads on the cover too? No complaints about that, he's one of my all-time faves. I'll have to check out Premier Guitar, I've never looked at that one.
    -Sean
    Guitars: Lots.
    Amphs: More than last year.
    Pedals: Many, although I go straight from guitar to amp more often lately.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bcdon View Post
    If you want some awesome guitar tuition then subscribe to Guitar Techniques Magazine.
    It's not cheap but it has awesome instructionals and fantastic writers. Can't recommend this magazine enough!
    You're not kidding about the price! I didn't know magazines got that expensive with subscriptions.

I was shopping for a subscription, and I see that Guitar Player is $15 for a year, while Premier Guitar is $24. I guess in the grand scheme of things, it's not much money at all. But the cheap-*** in me always has a way of caring anyway...
    Quote Originally Posted by Spudman
    Does anyone read the original post?
    Guitars: Gibson LP Studio, MIA Fender Precision, Carvin C350
    Amps: Genz Benz Shuttle 6.0 + Avatar B212 / Genzler 12-3, Acoustic B20
    Pedals: Pod HD500X, Diamond Compressor, Tech 21 VT Bass, Sonic Research Turbo Tuner

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eric View Post
    You're not kidding about the price! I didn't know magazines got that expensive with subscriptions.
    Yes, Guitar Techniques is pricey but it is much more of a tuition sort of magazine where you get detailed instruction every month.
    The next time you are at the book store, spend some time browsing the magazine. You won't find any interviews but you'll find
    loads of tab'd songs and tricks of the trade.

Post Thanks / Like

http://www.musicradar.com/guitartech...ini-amp-448775

Well that's interesting. Too bad I'm not in the UK.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12