Thread: Deadly good Equip. - James Blunt guitarist

Post Thanks / Like

Default Deadly good Equip. - James Blunt guitarist

Hey folks,

I have been to the James Blunt concert and felt like standing right in the middle of a young girl church squire. The sound of the band was pretty good and the video animation on the screens was top notch, which could not hide the fact that the music was a little "boring".

But it was interesting to watch the guitarist beside Mr Blunt.
    He played a deadly good combination, simple but effective.

2x Marshall 1974x combos, salt & pepper grill cloth. From what I could hear one was clean and one was a little crunchy all in all not distorted. The pedal board consisted of a Wah, Tremolo, Delay, Tuner and a distortin which looked like the T-Rex Alberta.

He played most of the time a 52 vintage Fender Tele in butterscotch and for some songs an ES-335 in white and Tobacco sunburst.

The sound was AWESOME! His lead tone turning on the Alberta was thick and warm, especially with the Gibson. The Tele was perfect for the rocking chord work in some of the songs and of course for the country drenched bends and licks. Both guitars made a good cut in the sound spectrum without killing the other instruments.

This was by far the best sound I heard in a long time and it proved again that less is more - sometimes :-) I know now that I need a Tele....GAS is getting hold of me again....

Jimi
    "A lot of people in the industry want to blame downloading for the state of the business. But I think if most music wasn't shit to begin with people wouldn't be downloading it for free," - Corey Taylor (Slipknot)

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

it's funny how as you get older your musical tastes broaden. 15 years ago I would never in a million years have gone anywhere near a James Blunt type of gig. But as you say most of these guys employ killer session musicians and there's always something to be learned for observing their technique and the way they setup their equipment.

Good report Jimi!
    - Lev

Main Guitars: Fender US Deluxe HSS Strat, PRS SE C24, Fender Baja Tele
    Bass Guitar: Squier VM Jaguar Special
    Main Amp: Vox AC15
    Main Effects: Digitech EXP-7, Line6 M5, Soul Food, Sub n UP, Flashback, Polara Verb
    Vids: www.youtube.com/levguitar

Post Thanks / Like

marc ribot, who has done a ton of session work, says most of playing guitar comes down to understanding the particular project you are in and figuring out what your role is. that guitartist sounds like he's figured it out.
    "I happen to have perfect situational awareness, Lana. Which cannot be taught, by the way. Like a poet's ... mind for ... to make the perfect words." - Sterling Archer

Camrose, Alberta, Canada - used to be Umea Sweden.
    Post Thanks / Like

You also need a Marshall or a Mack amp!
    The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.
    Master Guitar Academy - I also teach via SKYPE.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jimi75
    I know now that I need a Tele....GAS is getting hold of me again....
    come on in...the water's just fine!! :

ww
    Quote Originally Posted by just strum
    For the record, my annoyance with Warren has a lot to do with the hissing noises he makes.
    Guitars: Gibson 1998 Les Paul Special : Peavey Predator (Early 90's Fat Strat Copy) : Ibanez GAX30TR
    Brownsville Reso - 101 Electric Reso : Fender GDO-300 Maple Quilt Top Acoustic

Amps: Fender Super Champ XD

Effects: Digitech RP250 Modeling Guitar Processor : DVM "Phased and Confused" Script Phaser Clone : Digitech Bad Monkey
    Danelectro Cool Cat Chorus : Behringer Distortion Modeler : Ernie Ball Volume Pedal : Dunlop Cry Baby Wah