Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968
Recommend me an OD with my CS fat 50s

Thread: Recommend me an OD with my CS fat 50s

Post Thanks / Like

Default Recommend me an OD with my CS fat 50s

I love my JV strat with the CS Fat 50s pickups, but they are super clean. When I want to really rip on a solo, I'm not getting that OD sound that I'm looking for. Right now I'm using a TS9DX, and it's not quite that warm creamy yet gritty sound I want.

Any suggestions that won't break the bank?

Other factors -- I play blues through a Pro Jr. If you want to hear just how clean these pickups are, you can hear me going through the 5 pickup positions at http://www.box.net/shared/4nqwkijb4w

Thanks in advance!
    Bob
    Guitars: Jimmie Vaughan Strat, 2001 Affinity Squier Strat with 70's Japanese pickups, Affinity Squier Tele
    Amps: Fender Pro Junior w/ Ragin' Cajun speaker, Peavey Delta Blues 115
    Pedals: Ibanez TS9DX w/ Humphrey mod, Dunlop Crybaby Wah, Dano PB&J Delay, Arion Tubulator w/Indyguitarist mod, Boss CS-3, Dano Fish and Chips EQ, Boss CH-1, Dano TunaMelt Tremolo, Boss RV-3, Boss DS-1
    Strings: Darco 10's

Post Thanks / Like

There are so many ODs out there. Your best bet is to go and try as many as you can find. I see all the highly recommended expensive ones being sold all the time by the original owners. So who knows what will work for your ears?

"No Tele For you." - The Tele Nazi

Ha! Tele-ish now inbound.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Spudman
    There are so many ODs out there. Your best bet is to go and try as many as you can find. I see all the highly recommended expensive ones being sold all the time by the original owners. So who knows what will work for your ears?
    That is true. However, I was hoping someone would have had a similar situation to mine. I'm just looking for some suggestions to try.

Bob
    Guitars: Jimmie Vaughan Strat, 2001 Affinity Squier Strat with 70's Japanese pickups, Affinity Squier Tele
    Pedals: Ibanez TS9DX w/ Humphrey mod, Dunlop Crybaby Wah, Dano PB&J Delay, Arion Tubulator w/Indyguitarist mod, Boss CS-3, Dano Fish and Chips EQ, Boss CH-1, Dano TunaMelt Tremolo, Boss RV-3, Boss DS-1

Post Thanks / Like

The Digitech Bad Monkey is always worth a look! The separate bass and treble controls give you a degree of tonal control you won't get from a single tone control stomper.

How would you describe/quantify what the TS9DX's tone lacks? Not enough gain? Lacking bottom end thump or top-end chime? Too mid-rangey?
    DVM's Ever-Expanding Gear List:

Guitars - W-A-A-A-Y-Y too many to list. Check 'em all out HERE

Amps & Cabs - "Kap'n Kerrang-aroo" BYOC 18W TMB kit amp head; Mojave Coyote head; Fender Hot Rod Deluxe Lacquered Tweed Ltd. Ed.; Allen Sweet Spot kit amp; BYOC Tweed Royal kit amp; Epiphone Valve Jr. combo + mods; Drive 2x12 cab / Celestion G12M Greenback + G12H30; AB Custom Audio 1x12 cab / Celestion Alnico Blue

Pedals/Effects - ZILLIONS, including DVM's Home-built Pedals - See some HERE and HERE, TOO!

DVM's Gear Photos
    Visit MY WEBSITE!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by duhvoodooman
    The Digitech Bad Monkey is always worth a look! The separate bass and treble controls give you a degree of tonal control you won't get from a single tone control stomper.

How would you describe/quantify what the TS9DX's tone lacks? Not enough gain? Lacking bottom end thump or top-end chime? Too mid-rangey?
    I've heard a lot about the Monkey, so I might check that out.

As for the TS9DX, stock it's not enough gain and way too much bass. I'm going to send it to Garmopat to have it modded. But I think part of the problem is the pickups, as I said in my first post. They're just so stinkin clean! So the TS doesn't really get you into that smooth overdrive territory.

By contrast, I've got Tex-Mex pickups on my Squier, and it's almost there all by itself. Plus it's about twice as loud (literally).

Bob

Post Thanks / Like

This may be a stupid question but I'll ask it anyway. Can you raise the pickup height at all? That might help some.
    Patrick

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by birv2
    I've heard a lot about the Monkey, so I might check that out.

As for the TS9DX, stock it's not enough gain and way too much bass. I'm going to send it to Garmopat to have it modded. But I think part of the problem is the pickups, as I said in my first post. They're just so stinkin clean! So the TS doesn't really get you into that smooth overdrive territory.

By contrast, I've got Tex-Mex pickups on my Squier, and it's almost there all by itself. Plus it's about twice as loud (literally).

Bob

You can find Bad Monkeys on ebay, etc. for twentyish dollars almost any time so it is almost a no brainer to try it out. I really like mine, but have nothing like a TS-9 or anything to compare it to.
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Amphs: Peavey Classic 30, '61 Fender Concert
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

love is the answer, at least for most of the questions in my heart. . .
    - j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

Have you tried a clean boost? Perhaps the signal just needs to be a little bit hotter before it hits the amp to get the sound you're after.

Post Thanks / Like

Well, after thinking long and hard, I remembered a previous discussion we had here and looked it up. And I initiated that discussion!:

Anyway, last night at the jam, I tried the settings on my TS9DX that I wrote about: TS9 mode, about halfway on gain, volume and tone, pedal always on, guitar volume on about 6. Then cranked the volume on the guitar for solos.

Tone sounded very good and I got some compliments. I guess I needed to hear for myself (again!) the difference between basement tone and jam tone. Those setttings in the basement sounded weak -- at the jam they sounded great. Sheesh. Slow learner here.

I'm still going to look into the Bad Monkey though.

Thanks for all the advice, gang.

Post Thanks / Like

Most overdrives are really happening at gig volume. I have a very expensive overdrive unit and it sounds muffled and weak at house levels but when you get the amp working harder it really makes everything shine. It's cool you got that figured out...and you didn't have to spend a dime....

yet.

"No Tele For you." - The Tele Nazi

Ha! Tele-ish now inbound.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Spudman
    and you didn't have to spend a dime....

yet.
    Truer words was never spake.

Bob

Post Thanks / Like

The original Boss super overdrive pedal aint half bad when you need to wake up tired pickups... you can also try with a Rat (low gain setting).
    I can't say that I've given up on a flanger cause I've never liked the effect either. I also can't say the same about Tremolo. I hate them both equally. - Tone2TheBone 2009