Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968
Hello... a brief introduction
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hello... a brief introduction

Post Thanks / Like

Default Hello... a brief introduction

My name is Jamie and I live in So. California with my wife, Angie. I stumbled across this forum and thought it would be fun and informative. I consider myself a "newbie" as a guitarist.

I purchased a copy of a Les Paul (Epiphone) a couple of years ago and have taken a few lessons but have been inconsistent in my pursuit to learn to play better. Just recently, my commitment to learning has been renewed by the desire to play Beatles' tunes. I just purchased a Breedlove electric/acoustic (AC25/SR PLUS)

I played trumpet in my jr. high band many years ago so I have a little bit of a music background. I hope that that someday, I'll be able to call myself a guitarist and not have my wife burst out laughing.

Cheers everyone.

Jamie

Post Thanks / Like

Cheers Jamie & Welcome!

So, which Beatles tunes are you most interested in playing?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tot_Ou_tard
    Cheers Jamie & Welcome!

So, which Beatles tunes are you most interested in playing?
    Thanks for the welcome.

As far as Beatles' tunes, there are so many I love. I just met a new friend who is an excellent guitarist and he taught me how to play Norwegian Wood. After a couple of weeks of driving my wife nuts, it's actually sounding not too shabby.

Just yesterday, I started to learn the intro to " I feel fine". It's coming along pretty well so it's encouraging. I just to need to practice more and develop some calluses, ouch.
    Last edited by guitar ruki; April 8th, 2006 at 05:07 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

I was actually surprised at how fast the calluses came for me. It took less than two weeks. I haven't learned a Beatles tune yet, but I will & some Stones and mebbe even some Kinks as well.

Post Thanks / Like

I actually had an Epiphone acoustic a few months back that callused my fingers nicely. One day, I picked it up and it was totally out of tune. I proceeded to tune it for a couple of minutes til' I realized the headstock was cracked big time.

My wife noticed my shock and admitted she "accidently" knocked it off the stand.

I'm cool with it though. I got a nice replacement w/no arguments from the old lady.

LOL
    Last edited by guitar ruki; April 8th, 2006 at 06:39 PM.
    Breedlove AC25/SR+ (acoustic/elec.)
    Epiphone les paul copy
    Fender Princeton Chorus

Post Thanks / Like

HI there gr, and welcome to theFrets' little corner of the net!
    Zõ§õ
    The power that music has to connect people to each other has always been one of the guitarists driving forces. - John Frusciante

Axes'
    R-Axe Guitars "Black Betty" - 1st Ultimate DIY
    Ibanez X-Series-DT350 (Star Shape)
    Ibanez AEG10E - Black
    Yamaha RBX200F Fretless w/DiMarzio DP127 Pup

Amps
    Peavey 110 Audition

Pedals/FX
    CryBaby 535Q
    DigiTech CF7 Chorus Factory
    BOSS BD-2

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by guitar ruki
    MyI hope that that someday, I'll be able to call myself a guitarist and not have my wife burst out laughing.
    Ruki - I walked a mile in those same shoes. Ain't no laughin' goin' on these days either! Welcome to our forum. Prepare yourself to learn from the wealth of great players and fine people that are here every day.

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome to the forum Ruki.
    In spite of the way we sometimes ramble I think there is still some very good information here. Why do we ramble? At our age you got to have a sense of humor. It is with that idea that you might mention to your wife to stop laughing at your attempts to play and focus on not breaking your stuff. LOL If that would have been a 57 you can't replace that, wives however, all over the place. Oh I'm gonna get introuble for that. It's rock-n-roll mate.
    Enjoy your stay.

"No Tele For you." - The Tele Nazi

Ha! Tele-ish now inbound.

Camrose, Alberta, Canada - used to be Umea Sweden.
    Post Thanks / Like

Welcome Ruki, there are good ramblings on our minds around here - have fun! There is a lot good information being shared here, so dig in.
    The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.
    Master Guitar Academy - I also teach via SKYPE.

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome Ruki... This forum is all about sharing, no matter what the experience or playing level. Have fun, post often, and I look forward to learning from you as well.
    Guitars:
    Fender 2006 MIM Fender Stratocaster HSS in 3TS
    Ibanez RG 570 with a bridge Invader
    ESP M II Deluxe with a Tune-o-Matic bridge
    Eleanor, the magical, mystical Road Worn wonder Tele
    Blackstar HT Club 40

Post Thanks / Like

Wow!...

I'm deeply overjoyed and humbled by your hospitality.

Actually, my wife does'nt really laugh out loud. She usually walks into another room first and shuts the door!

I have always loved the guitar. When I was a teenager, one of my older brother's friend was a good guitarist. He used to come to my house with his Fender Strat and I would beg him to teach me something.

Guess what? He taught me Stairway to Heaven. I played that song over and over again up until the electric solo. That is as far as I got.

Then one day, I saw Wayne's World and immediately became embarrased.

Sheesh!

Thanks everyone. I think I'm gonna be hangin' out with you guys til' you get sick of me.

Jamie
    Last edited by guitar ruki; April 8th, 2006 at 06:37 PM.
    Epiphone les paul copy
    Fender Princeton Chorus

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Spudman
    Welcome to the forum Ruki.
    In spite of the way we sometimes ramble I think there is still some very good information here. Why do we ramble? At our age you got to have a sense of humor. It is with that idea that you might mention to your wife to stop laughing at your attempts to play and focus on not breaking your stuff. LOL If that would have been a 57 you can't replace that, wives however, all over the place. Oh I'm gonna get introuble for that. It's rock-n-roll mate.
    Enjoy your stay.

I love this guy's sense of humor! I think I'm gonna like it here!

Peace!
    Epiphone les paul copy
    Fender Princeton Chorus

Post Thanks / Like

welcome ruki....this is a great forum....i think you will like it here! Stick around long enough and you will be hooked. We do tend to ramble sometimes and get slightly off-topic....so read the old threads for lots of good info with a dash of entertainment along the way!

ww
    Quote Originally Posted by just strum
    For the record, my annoyance with Warren has a lot to do with the hissing noises he makes.
    Guitars: Gibson 1998 Les Paul Special : Peavey Predator (Early 90's Fat Strat Copy) : Ibanez GAX30TR
    Brownsville Reso - 101 Electric Reso : Fender GDO-300 Maple Quilt Top Acoustic

Amps: Fender Super Champ XD

Effects: Digitech RP250 Modeling Guitar Processor : DVM "Phased and Confused" Script Phaser Clone : Digitech Bad Monkey
    Danelectro Cool Cat Chorus : Behringer Distortion Modeler : Ernie Ball Volume Pedal : Dunlop Cry Baby Wah

Post Thanks / Like

Default Welcome

Hello Guitar Ruki,

Welcome, you found a great place to hang out!!

M29

Post Thanks / Like

Actually, my wife does'nt really laugh out loud. She usually walks into another room first and shuts the door!
    Whoa, now that sounds familiar!!

Welcome to The Fret, Jamie. The more, the merrier!
    DVM's Ever-Expanding Gear List:

Guitars - W-A-A-A-Y-Y too many to list. Check 'em all out HERE

Amps & Cabs - "Kap'n Kerrang-aroo" BYOC 18W TMB kit amp head; Mojave Coyote head; Fender Hot Rod Deluxe Lacquered Tweed Ltd. Ed.; Allen Sweet Spot kit amp; BYOC Tweed Royal kit amp; Epiphone Valve Jr. combo + mods; Drive 2x12 cab / Celestion G12M Greenback + G12H30; AB Custom Audio 1x12 cab / Celestion Alnico Blue

Pedals/Effects - ZILLIONS, including DVM's Home-built Pedals - See some HERE and HERE, TOO!

DVM's Gear Photos
    Visit MY WEBSITE!

Post Thanks / Like

I thought we were talking about your guitar playing.

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome Jamie. There are a few newbies on this forum. I am one myself. Enjoy the forum.
    Guitars:

Electric: Washburn HB-30, Squier Tele Custom Deluxe, Jay Turser Strat.
    Acoustic: Seagull S6.

AMPs: VOX AD30VT, Peavey Envoy 110.

Modelers: V-AMP 2, Digitech RP-100A.

Pedals: Boss RC-2 Loop Station, Boss CE-5 Chorus Ensemble, Digitech Bad Monkey, Ibanez DE7 Delay/Echo, DOD VFX40B 7-Band Graphic EQ, Ibanez CS-5 Super Chorus.

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome to the forum Jamie! I think you will like it around here. We try to be of help to each other and look at life in a lighthearted way. Just don't ask Warren for donuts!
    Rob Smith
    I AM the bass player!

GUITARS: '93 ZON Sonus 4, '85 G&L L-2000 (Mahogany), '05 Schecter Stiletto Custom 4, '06 SX SJB-62MG (Fretless), '07 Squier Bronco (project), '06 Ibanez AEB10E-BK acoustic bass, '70s Epiphone OO-sized acoustic, '94 Peavey Reactor (extreme makeover edition)

AMPS: '03 Ampeg BA115 bass combo, '86 Peavey MkIV Series 400 bass head, SWR Workingman's cabs, 2x10" & 1x15", '00 Peavey Micro Bass

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome Jamie. Beatles fan here too.
    Guitars/Bass - MIM Fender Classic 50s Strat, MIM Fender Standard Strat, Squier Classic Vibe 50s Tele, Gibson Les Paul Studio, Epi '56 Gold Top Les Paul, Martin DSR acoustic, Sigma Martin Auditorium electric/acoustic, Squier Jazz Bass.

Amps/Cabinets/Modelers - Model 2558 50 watt Marshall Silver Anniversary Jubilee combo w/ Celestion Vintage 30s, 4x12 Marshall cabinet w/25 watt Greenback Celestions, Fender Blues Junior w/ a couple of Billm mods, Line 6 POD 2.0, Roland Micro Cube

Pedals/Effects - Cry Baby Classic Wah, Boss TU-2, Boss NS-2, Boss RC-2 Loop Station, Ross Compressor, MXR Micro Amp, Danelectro FAB Echo, Danelectro FAB Chorus, Danelectro Chicken Salad, Marshall Guv'nor Plus, Marshall Echohead, Duhvoodooman's Zonkin' Yellow Screamer, Digitech Digiverb, Digitech Bad Monkey, Dunlop Fuzz Face, Homemade Loop Bypass pedal, Duhvoodooman's Sonic Tonic (Maxon SD-9 clone +), Voodoo Labs Superfuzz

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast