Thread: Jeff Beck, Eric Johnson, and ... Greg Koch

Post Thanks / Like

Default Jeff Beck, Eric Johnson, and ... Greg Koch

Recently, I attended a music festival in Tempe, Arizona to see two of my all time guitar heros who were playing in the same night: Eric Johnson and Jeff Beck. In addition, a Fender clinician by the name of Greg Koch played as part of the warm up to the main event.

I was totally blown away by Greg Koch. This guy wasn't supposed to be the main attraction but he definitely made an impression on me at least. He was doing a lot of great Blues and mixed genre stuff including one tune that was like chicken-pickin on steriods. This guy can really play and he is extremely funny. He is 1 part stand-up comic and 1 part extreme guitar player.

I was also blown away by Jeff Beck since I'd never seen him perform live before. I couldn't believe how expressive he was with his guitar. His style is very distinct and he still sounds fresh, even though he has been around since the Yardbirds.

Eric Johnson was good too, although he didn't have the same impact on me that I'd had on previous concerts. I don't know whether it was just the fact of seeing so many great players in one sitting or what, but he seemed to be having a less-than-perfect night. Hey, I think that anyone would have a tough time going on stage right before Jeff Beck. Even Greg Koch said something about it during his set, and said that he almost decided to play only chords for his whole set after finding out the Jeff Beck and Eric Johnson were there (that got a big laugh out of the audience).

-- Jim

Post Thanks / Like

If you go to Greg's web site http://www.gregkoch.com/ you can download a whole albums worth of his music from the various albums he has made. An inspiring player to say the least.

"No Tele For you." - The Tele Nazi

Ha! Tele-ish now inbound.

Post Thanks / Like

Jim - Wow. Sounds like there was a whole 'lotta tone and a whole 'lotta playin' goin' down at that show you saw. Myself, I've never had an opportunity to see any of these players, much less all three in the same show!

The Voodooman posted some info awhile back in HYH about Greg Koch, in case any of our Fretters want to refer back to it:

http://www.thefret.net/showthread.php?t=445

I also wrote a short bit on Jeff Beck in my "No Words, No Problem" review, referring specifically his 70's jazz-fusion material, which is some of my favorite work of his. It's touched on in the 6th paragraph down from the top:

http://www.thefret.net/showpost.php?p=2138&postcount=1

Since this is the second time I've heard about Greg Koch in HYH, I think it may be time for me to mosey on down to the link the Spudman posted (thanks bro'), and check him out!

Thanks for sharing your concert experience with us.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Nelskie
    Since this is the second time I've heard about Greg Koch in HYH, I think it may be time for me to mosey on down to the link the Spudman posted (thanks bro'), and check him out!

Thanks for sharing your concert experience with us.
    Moi aussi! I have never heard of him before the fret. I'm gonna check him out as well. Thanks, sounds like a great show.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tot_Ou_tard
    Moi aussi! I have never heard of him before the fret. I'm gonna check him out as well. Thanks, sounds like a great show.
    me either...but i am definately going to check him out....this is why the fret is so great (among MANY other reasons)

ww
    Quote Originally Posted by just strum
    For the record, my annoyance with Warren has a lot to do with the hissing noises he makes.
    Guitars: Gibson 1998 Les Paul Special : Peavey Predator (Early 90's Fat Strat Copy) : Ibanez GAX30TR
    Brownsville Reso - 101 Electric Reso : Fender GDO-300 Maple Quilt Top Acoustic

Amps: Fender Super Champ XD

Effects: Digitech RP250 Modeling Guitar Processor : DVM "Phased and Confused" Script Phaser Clone : Digitech Bad Monkey
    Danelectro Cool Cat Chorus : Behringer Distortion Modeler : Ernie Ball Volume Pedal : Dunlop Cry Baby Wah