Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: anybody play electric guitar w/o a pick?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hubberjub
    I play with a pick between my thumb and index and use the rest of my fingers for picking simultaneously. I'm not a very fast picker so this technique helps me fake speed and still get the pick attack that isn't possible (to me) with nails.
    Is this what is called hybrid picking Jub? Do you use the middle, ring, & pinky just as you would use the index, middle, & ring when fingerpicking with the thumb?

Quote Originally Posted by Blazes
    My woman made me tried a product she uses to get her nails grow fast & hard and it works really good..

It s call :
    (Vaseline) ''healthy hand & nail conditioning''

Gee ! my nails are hard just like titanium..
    Makes your nails grow pretty fast too, as long as you spread some evereday..

Blazes
    I use Hard As Hoof cream. Or at least I did before I slammed the front door on the ring finger on my right hand & broke the finger. It put a damper on my fingerpicking. The Hard As Hoof might have helped as I didn't loose the nail, but the damaged part hasn't grown off yet.

I think Knopfler should change that line to

"...a new guitar is all he can afford"

Those old guitars come with a guy with a baseball bat to make sure that you make your payments.
    I pick a moon dog.

Post Thanks / Like

This thread is quite old, but I thought I might chime in. I haven't used a pick in about two years. I started getting really into guys like Andy McKee and Antoine Dufour, and since my band had broken up and I was playing a lot of fingerstyle, I bit the bullet and went down the street and had the vietnamese lady put acrylics on my right hand fingers. I went in there 3 times and watched this lady do the nails, and by then I was brave enough to do it myself with some stuff from walgreens. I've been doing it ever since and I could never go back. I use my index nail as a pick when i want to play pick-style stuff. I highly recommend it

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I rarely use a pick anymore. A pick still has it's uses, but my wacky finger style technique is much more expressive.
    My nails have always been strong and thick, but the fingertips (skin) get more use than the nails depending on the music.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tig View Post
    my wacky finger style technique is much more expressive.
    Same here (at my modest level).
    More flow, more swing, whimsy, and above all, more fun...!

EDIT: I also let my thumb nail grow a bit, which has been OK so far, with yard work and such.
    Less golf, more saxophone

Post Thanks / Like

Starting out as a bass players I play with my fingers all the time. sometimes its easier for me to learn a song, riff, scale, etc etc playing with my fingers 1st.
    Tons of great players us no picks.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12