Thread: Variety Show gig report

Post Thanks / Like

Default Variety Show gig report

This past weekend I played with some musicians for a variety show for a fund raiser event. We were backing up a group of singers that were impersonating several different acts including The Andrews Sisters, Liza Meneli, Sony & Cher, Neil Diamond, The Beatles, Kool & the Gang, Styx, etc. complete with costume changes. I even had to wear a Beatle wig and John Lennon glasses for part of it.

It was quite a task to cover all these different styles and get all the right tones for each act. (this is the kind of stuff that I love to do!)
    I used my Variax modeling guitar which proved to be perfect for this kind of gig. I also used my Vox Valvetronix amp and a separate acoustic amp for various tunes.

I used the Rickenbacker 12 and 6-string models to cover the Beatle tunes (Hard Days Night, Twist & Shout) and also the Sony&Cher (I Got You Babe) and it sounded really authentic for these tunes.

For the Kool&the Gang tunes I used the Tele model in the middle position to get the funk guitar tones.

I used the Banjo model (through an acoustic amp) for the tune Cabaret, while the keyboard player did a clarinet part and it fit this song perfectly.
    The banjo model doesn't work for everything, but it sounds great for strumming parts for dixieland style banjo style which is what I used it for in this tune.

The wierdest part of the show was when I had to play the guitar part for the Styx tune "Come Sail Away", (Les Paul through a Marshall sound) and then go immediately into a Barbara Streisand medley. I thought that my amp was going to develop a personality disorder :-)

It was great fun for all of us and my wife was one of the singers too, so that made it nice to do something together. We had a blast.

-- Jim
    Electrics: Hamer Newport, Fender Clapton Strat, Ibanez AF86, Line6 Variax 700
    Acoustic Guitars: Taylor 514CE, Martin J40-M
    Dobro: Regal "Black Lightning Dobro"
    Mandolin: Morgan Monroe Mandolin
    Amps: Egnater Rebel 30, Vox AD120VTX, Roland Cube 60
    http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page...?bandid=301718

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like a fun variaxity night!

You should be glad that you didnt have to impersonate Liza Minelli
    I can't say that I've given up on a flanger cause I've never liked the effect either. I also can't say the same about Tremolo. I hate them both equally. - Tone2TheBone 2009

Post Thanks / Like

sounds like an interesting evening....as for liza....last time i was in nyc she was leaving a club and was totally f'ed up and making a scene....i got one pic of her before her people got her in her limo and off they went!

ww
    Quote Originally Posted by just strum
    For the record, my annoyance with Warren has a lot to do with the hissing noises he makes.
    Guitars: Gibson 1998 Les Paul Special : Peavey Predator (Early 90's Fat Strat Copy) : Ibanez GAX30TR
    Brownsville Reso - 101 Electric Reso : Fender GDO-300 Maple Quilt Top Acoustic

Amps: Fender Super Champ XD

Effects: Digitech RP250 Modeling Guitar Processor : DVM "Phased and Confused" Script Phaser Clone : Digitech Bad Monkey
    Danelectro Cool Cat Chorus : Behringer Distortion Modeler : Ernie Ball Volume Pedal : Dunlop Cry Baby Wah

Post Thanks / Like

Definitely sounds like a way cool gig! :
    Guitars: 2008 Gibson SG Classic, 2006 Gibson Les Paul Standard LE, 2002 Gibson SG Supreme, 2001 Gibson Les Paul Studio Plus, 1996 Les Paul Studio Gem, American Deluxe Double Fat Strat, Bluesville "Super" Strat Copy, MIK Fender "Limited Edition" Tele, JD Bluesville "Night Pilot", Yamaha AES 820, Steinberger Spirit GT Pro, Taylor 355CE, Ovation 1897 Adamas, Ovation CC057 Celebrity

Amps: Axe FX centered rack rig, Mesa 4x12 cab. Germino Club 40, Johnson JM150 Millennium, Johnson JM250 Millennium, Gibson Titan Medalist Frankenstein.

Effects: Tonebone Trimode, EH Holy Grail, Boss CH-1, Dunlop Crybaby Classic, Framptone Amp Switcher, THD Hot Plate, Yamaha AG Stomp Acoustic Processor, Boss BCB-60 Pedal Board.

Camrose, Alberta, Canada - used to be Umea Sweden.
    Post Thanks / Like

That sounds like a great fun kinda gig. Bet you learned a lot.
    The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.
    Master Guitar Academy - I also teach via SKYPE.

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like a wonderful show. Love the variety of music you played. Good on Ya!!!

Post Thanks / Like

The hardest part of the show, believe it or not, were the Beatle tunes. I like this band so much that I wanted to nail the parts and the tone to match the songs. I also had to sing the lead part on these which made it all the more harder. "Hard Day's Night" has several lines with lots of words, so you have to have it practiced to avoid getting tongue tied.

It was fun to use the 6-string Rickenbacker model on Twist&Shout. This modeling guitar seems to match the sound that they used for this song when I use this setting. I'd never owned a Rickenbacker so I wasn't sure what to expect, but it seems that they used the Rick 360 on the bridge pickup for that tune from what I can tell. It's a very midrang'y kind of chimey tone. It also works really well for getting Tom Petty's rhythm tone for songs like American Girl too.

-- Jim
    Last edited by jpfeifer; April 7th, 2008 at 05:39 PM.
    Electrics: Hamer Newport, Fender Clapton Strat, Ibanez AF86, Line6 Variax 700
    Acoustic Guitars: Taylor 514CE, Martin J40-M
    Dobro: Regal "Black Lightning Dobro"
    Mandolin: Morgan Monroe Mandolin
    Amps: Egnater Rebel 30, Vox AD120VTX, Roland Cube 60
    http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page...?bandid=301718

Post Thanks / Like

Cool Jim. Great toys and a great gig but why on earth should I moan?

I'm glad that you had a great time.

"No Tele For you." - The Tele Nazi

Ha! Tele-ish now inbound.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Nice report! The gig sounds fun, and the experience you got with the models on the Variax sounds great too.
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Amphs: Peavey Classic 30, '61 Fender Concert
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

love is the answer, at least for most of the questions in my heart. . .
    - j. johnson