Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968
Mod-ing My Vintage Modified
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mod-ing My Vintage Modified

Post Thanks / Like

Cool Mod-ing My Vintage Modified

Can't leave well enough alone, so I finally placed my order with Guitar Fetish.

I am anxiously awaiting the following:

Wilkinson Compensated Bridge w/ 3 brass saddles

Lil' Puncher XL (Modern Vintage 10K) Bridge p'up

Dream 90 (8.2K) Neck p'up

And a push-pull pot which I am going to use to split the bridge p'up for single/bucker.

I find the Duncan Designed neck humbucker a little dark for my taste, and I've wanted to try a P90 for quite awhile. I much prefer the neck humbucker on my Washburn HB-30 for a smooth jazzy tone. A P90 should work good for chimey rhythm and still have a bit of growl.

The rail p'up should really crank in full 'bucker mode (I really like a bridge humbucker and give a little push for leads, and still have the option for Tele spank in single coil/split mode.

I want to upgrade the bridge and saddles to smooth out the tone a bit.

So, for the price of one "brand name" pickup, I'm going to try my first mod. Wish me luck Oh, and if anyone (**ahem** DVM) has any tips or even a wiring diagram, that would be wonderful :

Trev
    Electrics: Hagstrom Ultra Swede (Gold Eagle Burst) Gretsch 5120 Electromatic (Orange) Custom Nashville Blackout Telecaster (Black, Stat mid/neck p'ups; Lil Puncher (Modern Vintage) bridge p'up; Wilkinson Compensated Bridge w/ 3 brass saddles, Warmoth Vintage Modern Birdseye Maple Neck) Fender MIM Stratocaster (Blue Agave, Rosewood Fretboard, Fender Tex-Mex p'ups; GFS Trem/Block Kit) Highland Spitfire (semi-hollow, flame maple top w/ bubinga inlay)
    Acoustics:Washburn D10CEQSB, Yamaha FG160E
    Bass: Westone Spectrum ST, Warwick Rockbass Corvette Basic Active
    Amps: Vox NT15H/V112NT Night Train, Peavey Bandit 112, Hartke HyDrive 210C Bass Amp, Vox DA5

Post Thanks / Like

Very cool Trev, looking forward to hearing about the finish.
    Guitar Fetish is great stuff for a great price eh ?

Camrose, Alberta, Canada - used to be Umea Sweden.
    Post Thanks / Like

Good luck! Hope it makes a screaming guitar.
    The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.
    Master Guitar Academy - I also teach via SKYPE.

Post Thanks / Like

Cool looking Bridge Trev.

Have fun with the mods. :
    Gearlist:
    Electric: Ibanez 'AS103', Fender Dlx Nash Pwr Tele, Fender Squier '62 JV Strat, Squier '51, Squier 60's Classic Vibe Strat, Epi Elite LP Studio, Hagstrom Swede Acoustic: Larrivee LV-03RE, A&L AMI, Yamaha FG340-T Bass: Yamaha BB 450 Amps: Roland JC-120, JC-50, Peavey Classic 30, Fender Super Champ XD Pedals: Marshall Guv'nor Plus, Danelectro Cool Cat Drive, Transparent Overdrive, Digitech Digiverb, Bad Monkey, Ibanez TS-9, Boss AC-2, CE-5, CS-2, DD-3, DF-2, DS-1, FV-100, GE-7, OC-2, PSM-5, SD-1, TU-2, DVM~BYOC 'Lush Puppy' Chorus

Post Thanks / Like

Can't go wrong with Guitarfetish.
    -Kodiak
    Guitars:
    Washburn Idol 64 DL w/GFS Dream 180 pups
    Washburn X-33 w/GFS 60's-70's Grey Bottom Non Stagger Overwound
    Stagg G300 SG w/GFS Power Rails
    Art & Lutherie Acoustic

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I will be waiting to see the results. Sounds fun!
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Amphs: Peavey Classic 30, '61 Fender Concert
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

love is the answer, at least for most of the questions in my heart. . .
    - j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

If you want top P90 sounds from GFS I'd go for the Mean 90. The Dream 90 is an overwound strat-like single coil in a humbucker case while the Mean 90 has a more accurately sized coil under all that metal. I really like their range of pickups, they offer a lot of options at a good price.
    Electric: Fat strat > Korg PB > TS7 > DS1 > DD-20 > Cube 60 (Fender model)

Acoustic: Guitar > microphone > audience

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by markb
    If you want top P90 sounds from GFS I'd go for the Mean 90. The Dream 90 is an overwound strat-like single coil in a humbucker case while the Mean 90 has a more accurately sized coil under all that metal. I really like their range of pickups, they offer a lot of options at a good price.
    I thought long and hard about what I was going for and I think the Dream 90 offers a good balance of what I'm looking for, especially for the country/country-rock/rock-country stuff that we do (I switch to my Washburn HB-30 or my bass player's early 80's Gibson LP Deluxe - with the mini-buckers, for the "Rock and/or Roll" sets) . Don't want to take my Tele too far over the edge Something with a little more oomph than a single coil, and not as dark as a neck 'bucker. I like a Strat neck p'up sound for some things, so I should be able to dial back the volume a bit and get in the ballpark.

That was my thinking, anyway. I may be wrong, but for $29.95 it's easy enough to change out if I want to go back to a full-on PAF humbucker or a Mean 90, or a TV Jones Filtertron.

I'll be sure to post pics of my adventures. Haven't wired up a guitar before, so this should be interesting. :
    Electrics: Hagstrom Ultra Swede (Gold Eagle Burst) Gretsch 5120 Electromatic (Orange) Custom Nashville Blackout Telecaster (Black, Stat mid/neck p'ups; Lil Puncher (Modern Vintage) bridge p'up; Wilkinson Compensated Bridge w/ 3 brass saddles, Warmoth Vintage Modern Birdseye Maple Neck) Fender MIM Stratocaster (Blue Agave, Rosewood Fretboard, Fender Tex-Mex p'ups; GFS Trem/Block Kit) Highland Spitfire (semi-hollow, flame maple top w/ bubinga inlay)
    Amps: Vox NT15H/V112NT Night Train, Peavey Bandit 112, Hartke HyDrive 210C Bass Amp, Vox DA5

Post Thanks / Like

Boy I'm really interested in the results too. Both of those pickups I've been interested in as well. I hope it turns out just the way you expect.

"No Tele For you." - The Tele Nazi

Ha! Tele-ish now inbound.

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry if my dashed off contribution sounded like a criticism of your choice. I only meant to highlight the differences between the two pickups. I was going to drop a mini-bucker into my tele' but have decided I don't want to lose that fruity SC neck tone and now, like you I have a guitar with humbuckers for the grubbier stuff. Good luck with the wiring : .
    Electric: Fat strat > Korg PB > TS7 > DS1 > DD-20 > Cube 60 (Fender model)

Acoustic: Guitar > microphone > audience

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by markb
    Sorry if my dashed off contribution sounded like a criticism of your choice. I only meant to highlight the differences between the two pickups. I was going to drop a mini-bucker into my tele' but have decided I don't want to lose that fruity SC neck tone and now, like you I have a guitar with humbuckers for the grubbier stuff. Good luck with the wiring :
    No worries. Just wanted to clarify my reasoning for choosing the Dream 90. I must say, I've never heard of a SC neck tone being "fruity" before, not that there's anything wrong with that

I like a neck humbucker, but find that the Duncan Designed p'up lacks some of the clarity/definition that I want.

I'll keep you posted :

Northern Ohio - Near Cleveland - Home of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame http://www.rockhall.com/
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by t_ross33
    No worries. Just wanted to clarify my reasoning for choosing the Dream 90. I must say, I've never heard of a SC neck tone being "fruity" before, not that there's anything wrong with that

I like a neck humbucker, but find that the Duncan Designed p'up lacks some of the clarity/definition that I want.

I'll keep you posted :
    Hey, if it ends up you don't like it, we'll just wait to see the "Mod-ing My Vintage Modified, Modified" thread.
    Mark
    * Loud is good, good is better!

Post Thanks / Like

Looks like a good plan, Trev. Should punch up the guitar some while maintaining its fundamental Tele-tude. We will, of course, require PICS & CLIPS!! :
    DVM's Ever-Expanding Gear List:

Guitars - W-A-A-A-Y-Y too many to list. Check 'em all out HERE

Amps & Cabs - "Kap'n Kerrang-aroo" BYOC 18W TMB kit amp head; Mojave Coyote head; Fender Hot Rod Deluxe Lacquered Tweed Ltd. Ed.; Allen Sweet Spot kit amp; BYOC Tweed Royal kit amp; Epiphone Valve Jr. combo + mods; Drive 2x12 cab / Celestion G12M Greenback + G12H30; AB Custom Audio 1x12 cab / Celestion Alnico Blue

Pedals/Effects - ZILLIONS, including DVM's Home-built Pedals - See some HERE and HERE, TOO!

DVM's Gear Photos
    Visit MY WEBSITE!

Post Thanks / Like

Our drummers brother has a full set of lil' killers for the strat....if they sound anything like them your in business. The P90 is a great choice for a neck PU IMHO; Beefyness of a bucker and clarity of a Single coil.....mmmmmmmm great choices!
    Guitars: Epiphone Special 2 LP modded with a SD Pearly Gates and a SD Alnico 2 flat strat pro.300K pots.Tone pros Brass Stop tailpiece.Dunlop frets dressed to .031,LSR roller nut, Spezel custom stainless steel locking tuners. Satin finished neck.Fender MIM 50's strat modded with LSR roller nut, graph tech string tree,sperzel satin chrome locking tuners, graph tech saddles,300K push pull volume for "neck on pup" and 200K tone pots.PUPS:Neck seymore duncan QP single coil for strat. Middle: Seymour Duncan JB Jr with coil tap (so actually a 9 way tone selection). Bridge: Same as neck.Amps/Cabs.2 Epi Valve Jr's, Peavey Delta Blues 1x15. Randall RG200es,Guitar research 4x8 cab loaded W/celestion super 8's and rewired for two-2x8 operation.Marshall 4x12 slant lead cab,Johnson cab 1x12.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by duhvoodooman
    Looks like a good plan, Trev. Should punch up the guitar some while maintaining its fundamental Tele-tude. We will, of course, require PICS & CLIPS!! :

Tele-tude, Hm, I like that! I think an economical modded tele has to be on the get someday list.
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Amphs: Peavey Classic 30, '61 Fender Concert
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

love is the answer, at least for most of the questions in my heart. . .
    - j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

PLease a review and pictures after it`s done!

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up I Did It!!

My first mod project is complete (almost! - I forgot to ground one terminal on the volume pot so it goes from 100 to 50%, but not "off" *sigh* what a noob!).

I had to do some detective work to mash together the wiring diagram I received from GFS and one I got off seymourduncan.com but all in all it went together pretty easy! My soldering and wiring ain't purtty, but I thought I managed pretty well.

I was going to photo-document the project, but my wife left our digital camera at her work, and I just couldn't wait to get started

It's late, and I've only plugged in at "everyone-in-the-house is-sleeping-except-me" levels, but here are my first impressions:

:

The Dream 90 is absolutely creamy, it should be renamed the Cream 90, but then again, maybe not . I wasn't able to get any grind from it at the volume I'm restricted to at the moment, but I can feel it under the hood! Very musical, rich without being muddy and surprisingly quiet hum-wise. The Lil Puncher packs a pretty good one yet isn't so hot that I lose the Teletude. Splitting the coil works to get me back into classic Tele territory, though there is an expected drop in output level.

The two play very, very nice together and the middle switch position has none of the "honkyness" that the stock p'ups had when in tandem. I would certainly have no problem recommending this combination of p'ups.

The Wilkinson compensated bridge swapped in perfectly and I think the brass saddles have had an impact. Unplugged it had a sweet singing sustain without the "plunkyness" the stock bridge gave it.

I can't wait to open the gate and let the horses run! I still have to do a bit of a setup, intonate and fine-tune the saddles. After that, I'd put this Modified Vintage Modified SQUIER Tele up against almost any "real" Tele.

Going to try to get some sleep now. I feel just like a kid on Christmas Eve. Maybe I feel a *cough* *cough* cold coming on

Pics and clips will follow shortly, I promise. She looks as sweet as she sounds.

Later, Boys and Girls!

Trev

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by t_ross33
    Going to try to get some sleep now. I feel just like a kid on Christmas Eve. Maybe I feel a *cough* *cough* cold coming on
    Way to go, Trev. Now you understand why modding can be so addictive! I find it to be a combination of enjoyment of the work itself and the satisfaction derived from a successful outcome. Your first project, but not your last, I'll wager! : :
    DVM's Ever-Expanding Gear List:

Guitars - W-A-A-A-Y-Y too many to list. Check 'em all out HERE

Amps & Cabs - "Kap'n Kerrang-aroo" BYOC 18W TMB kit amp head; Mojave Coyote head; Fender Hot Rod Deluxe Lacquered Tweed Ltd. Ed.; Allen Sweet Spot kit amp; BYOC Tweed Royal kit amp; Epiphone Valve Jr. combo + mods; Drive 2x12 cab / Celestion G12M Greenback + G12H30; AB Custom Audio 1x12 cab / Celestion Alnico Blue

Pedals/Effects - ZILLIONS, including DVM's Home-built Pedals - See some HERE and HERE, TOO!

DVM's Gear Photos
    Visit MY WEBSITE!

Post Thanks / Like

Exactly what Vood said .great job ...and on to the next project!!!
    "I love being alive and I will be the best man I possibly can. I will take love wherever I find it and offer it to whoever will take it... seek knowledge from those wiser and teach those who wish to learn from me."
    "Develop your talent, man, and leave the world something. Records are really gifts from people. To think that an artist would love you enough to share his music with anyone is a beautiful thing."
    Duane Skydog Allman

You come to a point in your life when you really don't care what people think about you, you just care what you think about yourself." - Evel Knievel

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast