Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968
Half-life 2 fans? - Page 2
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Half-life 2 fans?

Post Thanks / Like

I killed 3 hours playing Crysis last night. That game is just amazing. I'm looking forward to Farcry 2 being released this fall. Love realistic FPS games!
    Soundcloud - Lights on Project

-Pete

Post Thanks / Like

I got both versions of HalfLife laying around here someplace.. never finished either as offline games...
    I really enjoyed the counterstrike online play when it was first made for a few years..

Nothing beats Rainbow Six series though (IMHO) and Vegas 2 has just come out for it..

Anyone playing R6 Online?

Farcry is pretty good too.. will probaly get FC2 also.'

As far as a 360.. I already have the PS2 recently purchased collecting dust..
    I think I will stick with PC gaming.. for full effect!

Back to the original question
    HalfLife is a must if you never played it...

Jimmie Vaughan Strat , Squire 51
    Epi 56 GoldTop, SX "Vintage" Jazz Bass
    Zager 50, Guild GAD30R (Excellent)
    G-Dec 3 Thirty, Valve Junior & Cab
    Crate PowerBlock, Crate V33H
    JamVox, Studio GX With Mods/Farm 2.0.

Post Thanks / Like

I just picked up Call of Duty 4 from Best Buy! WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
    Soundcloud - Lights on Project

-Pete

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by stingx
    ...I'm looking forward to Farcry 2 being released this fall.
    The original Far Cry was one of my favorite FPS games, and was visually just stunning. I also found it to be one of the hardest games I every played. The last couple of levels were just brutal. I almost quit at one point--something that has NEVER happened to me in a PC game before. (I refuse to use cheats.)

An FPS that I really enjoyed was Painkiller. Really unusual levels & weapons (I loved pinning zombies to walls with the stake gun!), and great secrets and bonuses to be found. And the "tarot card" feature was quite unique, allowing you to modify your player's abilities.

For humor content in an FPS, the Serious Sam games were great, particularly the first two. "It's all fun & games until somebody loses an eye!" LOL!!
    DVM's Ever-Expanding Gear List:

Guitars - W-A-A-A-Y-Y too many to list. Check 'em all out HERE

Amps & Cabs - "Kap'n Kerrang-aroo" BYOC 18W TMB kit amp head; Mojave Coyote head; Fender Hot Rod Deluxe Lacquered Tweed Ltd. Ed.; Allen Sweet Spot kit amp; BYOC Tweed Royal kit amp; Epiphone Valve Jr. combo + mods; Drive 2x12 cab / Celestion G12M Greenback + G12H30; AB Custom Audio 1x12 cab / Celestion Alnico Blue

Pedals/Effects - ZILLIONS, including DVM's Home-built Pedals - See some HERE and HERE, TOO!

DVM's Gear Photos
    Visit MY WEBSITE!

Post Thanks / Like

This talk of HalfLife2 reminded me..
    they always have had a good Mod community.

Here are a few I liked..

Revoluntionary War Mod.. looks pretty good
    Battlegrounds 2

http://www.bgmod.com/

And

Fistfull of Frags for a Western taste

http://www.fistful-of-frags.com/

I use to enjoy an old Western Game called OUTLAWS by Microsoft..1997

The last year or so Ubisoft released a Polish made game from Techland
    called Call of Juarez

http://www.callofjuarez.com/

It released for 50.00 bucks but can be had for as little as
    $20.00 brand new on E-Bay.. Pretty good story line for Single Player mode.
    Playing one of two roles..
    Also, pretty good for Online play.. well worth 20.00 but probably not 50!
    There is also a Single Player and MultiPlayer Demo to check it out.
    if'n ya feel like playin in the Old West.

Camrose, Alberta, Canada - used to be Umea Sweden.
    Post Thanks / Like

How does this game Mod stuff work? Do people have access the to game code from Valve and can use it to make a different game?
    The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.
    Master Guitar Academy - I also teach via SKYPE.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Robert
    How does this game Mod stuff work? Do people have access the to game code from Valve and can use it to make a different game?
    Exactly... then there is usually an install doc with the mod to walk you thru it.

CounterStrike actually was a mod before Valve took over.. or did they?

it's all free..it's all fun.. and you are already use to the controls.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Justaguyin_nc
    CounterStrike actually was a mod before Valve took over.. or did they?
    IIRC, they hired the Counterstrike guys on.

Camrose, Alberta, Canada - used to be Umea Sweden.
    Post Thanks / Like

So who did the original code development then? I still don't understand how all this stuff works. Making all the graphics and scenes and engaging levels of playing the game, etc is no small feat. It's still pretty much a whole new game anyway, isn't it? So why do they call it a Mod? Because they are reusing the code framework from the original game? And what people are doing these Mods? Not just anyone would have enough brains to make a new "Mod" - I imagine you would need a whole team of skilled programmers and designers to get anywhere with it.
    The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.
    Master Guitar Academy - I also teach via SKYPE.

Post Thanks / Like

it's very time consuming Robert.. A whole team would be very helpful.
    But then everyone has to have the same goal..

Most is just scripts..like your cgi, perl and plain text.. and changing them..

the makers of the games usually release tools to help you along.
    Or Some nice smart student someplace makes them..
    Skin programs..Map editors.. etc etc..
    Alot of games come with Map editors to help you make your own maps for local or Online play.
    Hmmm Maybe a Fretnet Map hosted by Robert is in order?
    I use to enjoy making maps for RainbowSix series and S.W.A.T.3 4 ,
    but again.. time consuming...

If a game is Modable.. there will be tools for it or created for it by someone.

Here is some links to show what goes into making mods..well partly..

Source engine
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Source_engine
    Valve Map Editor
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Valve_Hammer_Editor
    Last edited by Justaguyin_nc; April 22nd, 2008 at 11:08 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

The Juarez one looks cool.
    Guitars/Bass - MIM Fender Classic 50s Strat, MIM Fender Standard Strat, Squier Classic Vibe 50s Tele, Gibson Les Paul Studio, Epi '56 Gold Top Les Paul, Martin DSR acoustic, Sigma Martin Auditorium electric/acoustic, Squier Jazz Bass.

Amps/Cabinets/Modelers - Model 2558 50 watt Marshall Silver Anniversary Jubilee combo w/ Celestion Vintage 30s, 4x12 Marshall cabinet w/25 watt Greenback Celestions, Fender Blues Junior w/ a couple of Billm mods, Line 6 POD 2.0, Roland Micro Cube

Pedals/Effects - Cry Baby Classic Wah, Boss TU-2, Boss NS-2, Boss RC-2 Loop Station, Ross Compressor, MXR Micro Amp, Danelectro FAB Echo, Danelectro FAB Chorus, Danelectro Chicken Salad, Marshall Guv'nor Plus, Marshall Echohead, Duhvoodooman's Zonkin' Yellow Screamer, Digitech Digiverb, Digitech Bad Monkey, Dunlop Fuzz Face, Homemade Loop Bypass pedal, Duhvoodooman's Sonic Tonic (Maxon SD-9 clone +), Voodoo Labs Superfuzz

Post Thanks / Like

Here is another cool mod for HL2

http://www.zombiemaster.org/index.php
    I've been imitated so well I've heard people copy my mistakes.
    -- Jimi Hendrix

Musical Equipment
    1993 USA Fender Strat Plus
    200? Michael Kelly Hybrid
    2002 Gretsch G3100 Historical Series
    Crate BV60 Combo
    Boss ME-20 Multi Effect Pedal
    Recording Equipment
    Mac G5 2.3 Duo Core
    160 & 500 GB Drives
    4.5 GB Ram
    iControl (M-Audio)
    Studiophile AV40 (M-Audio)
    TonePort UX2
    Logic Studio 8

Post Thanks / Like

It's a "mod" because what they created a new gametype, maps, characters, etc. Most everything else was reused, e.g., network code, collision detection, graphics subsystems, physics, etc. Companies don't release all of the source code. They release an SDK so that modders can build on what is already there.

id Software eventually does release all of the code for their engines under the GPL.
    Axen: Jackson DK2M, Fender Deluxe Nashville Telecaster, Reverend Warhawk 390, Taylor 914ce, ESP LTD Surveyor-414
    Amphen: Jet City JCA22H and JCA12S cab, Carvin X-60 combo, Acoustic B20
    Effecten: "Thesis 96" Overdrive/Boost (aka DVM OD2), Hardwire DL-8 Digital Delay/Looper, DigiTech Polara Reverb, DigiTech EX-7 Expression Factory and CF-7 Chorus Factory, Danelectro CF-1 Cool Cat Fuzz
    "I wish Imagine Dragons would be stuck in an Arcade Fire for an entire Vampire Weekend."--Brian Posehn

Post Thanks / Like

Alright you HL2 players I'm stuck...

I'm in 'Low Life" in the parking structure where there are 3 hives/holes that I have to put cars in to stop those damn spider things. Remember this one? One car is on the bottom level and another on the 2nd and the last one is behind a locked cage on the 3rd. I can get 2 cars on the holes with the gravity gun but I keep getting attacked when I try to open that damn stupid slow turning wheel to open the gate on the top level. When it's almost about to open completely a stupid spider thing is on my back and Alyx can't kill them fast enough for them to leave me alone to open the stupid gate. When I try to run up to the top level to do that first Alyx gets killed below trying to fight off the spider things.

What is the best method of putting all the cars into the holes and surviving???
    Guitars/Bass - MIM Fender Classic 50s Strat, MIM Fender Standard Strat, Squier Classic Vibe 50s Tele, Gibson Les Paul Studio, Epi '56 Gold Top Les Paul, Martin DSR acoustic, Sigma Martin Auditorium electric/acoustic, Squier Jazz Bass.

Amps/Cabinets/Modelers - Model 2558 50 watt Marshall Silver Anniversary Jubilee combo w/ Celestion Vintage 30s, 4x12 Marshall cabinet w/25 watt Greenback Celestions, Fender Blues Junior w/ a couple of Billm mods, Line 6 POD 2.0, Roland Micro Cube

Pedals/Effects - Cry Baby Classic Wah, Boss TU-2, Boss NS-2, Boss RC-2 Loop Station, Ross Compressor, MXR Micro Amp, Danelectro FAB Echo, Danelectro FAB Chorus, Danelectro Chicken Salad, Marshall Guv'nor Plus, Marshall Echohead, Duhvoodooman's Zonkin' Yellow Screamer, Digitech Digiverb, Digitech Bad Monkey, Dunlop Fuzz Face, Homemade Loop Bypass pedal, Duhvoodooman's Sonic Tonic (Maxon SD-9 clone +), Voodoo Labs Superfuzz

Post Thanks / Like

You've got to get all three cars over the holes ASAP, otherwise you'll never get the door open. When I did it I just had to concern myself with me, not Alyx.
    Axen: Jackson DK2M, Fender Deluxe Nashville Telecaster, Reverend Warhawk 390, Taylor 914ce, ESP LTD Surveyor-414
    Effecten: "Thesis 96" Overdrive/Boost (aka DVM OD2), Hardwire DL-8 Digital Delay/Looper, DigiTech Polara Reverb, DigiTech EX-7 Expression Factory and CF-7 Chorus Factory, Danelectro CF-1 Cool Cat Fuzz
    "I wish Imagine Dragons would be stuck in an Arcade Fire for an entire Vampire Weekend."--Brian Posehn

Post Thanks / Like

Getting 2 cars over the holes is easy. I think there is something that I'm not doing right. I keep getting swiped at the wheel that opens a gate where there are 2 medical things and I don't think that's the right gate I'm supposed to open? Am I missing another gate that opens the last car?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tone2TheBone
    Getting 2 cars over the holes is easy. I think there is something that I'm not doing right. I keep getting swiped at the wheel that opens a gate where there are 2 medical things and I don't think that's the right gate I'm supposed to open? Am I missing another gate that opens the last car?
    From Wikicheats:

SPOILER WARNING!

To get to the third car, head up to the third level. It's located above the entrance you came in. Use the beams above the center of the room to get there. If you lose Alyx along the way, don't worry because she'll meet up with you before you leave. You'll have to jump down into the room with the car. There is a Zombine there. He often blows himself up with a grenade, so stay away from him and use the shotgun.

Turn the wheel you see here to open the gate. Push car over the edge and into the Antlion hole.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by marnold
    From Wikicheats:

SPOILER WARNING!

To get to the third car, head up to the third level. It's located above the entrance you came in. Use the beams above the center of the room to get there. If you lose Alyx along the way, don't worry because she'll meet up with you before you leave. You'll have to jump down into the room with the car. There is a Zombine there. He often blows himself up with a grenade, so stay away from him and use the shotgun.

Turn the wheel you see here to open the gate. Push car over the edge and into the Antlion hole.
    Yes! Thanks to you pastor for the tip I finally did it.

Those stupid spider thingies anyway....

I finally made it outside the parking structure (why didn't someone tell me it was going to be dark and creepy!) My best laugh of the day was when we emerged into the level with the elevator to make our escape and Alyx starts to make a Zombine sound behind me...then giggles and says "gotcha". That dang $#&*$ hahahahaha That was a good one though and I'm finally outta that bad bad place. :

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tone2TheBone
    I finally made it outside the parking structure (why didn't someone tell me it was going to be dark and creepy!) My best laugh of the day was when we emerged into the level with the elevator to make our escape and Alyx starts to make a Zombine sound behind me...then giggles and says "gotcha". That dang $#&*$ hahahahaha That was a good one though and I'm finally outta that bad bad place. :
    My favorite part of Episode 1 was after you get to a safe house when you've been listening to the scientist's broadcast. Alyx said something to the effect of, "Did he really just encourage people to get busy?"

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast