Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

ONE (1) ZYS Available
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: ONE (1) ZYS Available

Post Thanks / Like

Default ONE (1) ZYS Available

I have the parts on hand to build a single ZYS overdrive pedal, and would like to "pre-sell" it here, if possible. It will differ from previous versions of the ZYS I've built in two ways:

1. The pedal will be built using a PCB I bought from General Guitar Gadgets (GGG), rather than the BuildYourOwnClone.com (BYOC) board I've used previously. The BYOC boards weren't available for a period of time, and I really wanted to try the GGG board to check it out. Though layed out a bit differently on the PCB, the circuit itself is EQUIVALENT, and it's a really nice quality PCB. I expect no tonal difference whatsoever between pedals built on the BYOC and GGG boards.

2. I've updated the clipping section design to use a pair of MOSFETs for the "Cool" clipping mode, replacing the germanium diodes I used previously. The MOSFETs give the same kind of smooth and bluesy clipping signal character, but without the very substantial volume drop that the germaniums give. I've upgraded my personal ZYS to this design and am extremely satisfied with it. FWIW, the highly regarded Fulltone Fulldrive 2 pedal uses MOSFET clipping, along with some other pricey boutique pedals.

Because of part cost increases, I've raised the price of the ZYS by $10 to $210. However, since this unit will be the first to be built with the GGG board and MOSFET clipper design, I'll offer it to Fretters here for $179, a 15% discount. I'll let the rave reviews of the ZYS that have been posted here by Robert, Spudman, Tone2TheBone, Oldguy and others speak for themselves with regard to the tonal capabilities of this highly modified Tube Screamer-derived overdrive. All I can tell you is that (1) yes, $179 is quite a bit to pay for an overdrive pedal, and (2) you won't be disappointed by what you get for your hard-earned money!

For those of you unfamilar with the ZYS, it features 3 different clipping modes, normal and high gain settings, three different bass rolloff frequency settings, and a socketed IC set-up with four different opamps, including the legendary TS-808's JRC4558D chip. More of the gory details available HERE.

So why not take some of that tax refund check and stake a claim to your own little corner of sonic paradise? :
    DVM's Ever-Expanding Gear List:

Guitars - W-A-A-A-Y-Y too many to list. Check 'em all out HERE

Amps & Cabs - "Kap'n Kerrang-aroo" BYOC 18W TMB kit amp head; Mojave Coyote head; Fender Hot Rod Deluxe Lacquered Tweed Ltd. Ed.; Allen Sweet Spot kit amp; BYOC Tweed Royal kit amp; Epiphone Valve Jr. combo + mods; Drive 2x12 cab / Celestion G12M Greenback + G12H30; AB Custom Audio 1x12 cab / Celestion Alnico Blue

Pedals/Effects - ZILLIONS, including DVM's Home-built Pedals - See some HERE and HERE, TOO!

DVM's Gear Photos
    Visit MY WEBSITE!

Post Thanks / Like

Somebody better snag it. It's the last OD pedal you'll ever need or want.

"No Tele For you." - The Tele Nazi

Ha! Tele-ish now inbound.

Post Thanks / Like

That's a "screamin" deal on a great pedal. You won't regret it!

Guitars: 2001 Fender Fat Strat (MiM), Epi Les Paul Plus Top, 2004 Taylor 310ce, Washburn Rover
    Amps: Vox AD50VT, Fender Blues Jr.
    Pedals/Gear: DVM's ZYS, Fulltone OCD, Dunlop Crybaby 535Q, Boss TU-2, Digitech JamMan, Presonus TubePre, Boss BR-600

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the endorsements, Spuds & Scorona! : :

Here's a photo from the ZYS "work in progress". This shows the main PCB, fully populated, and the piece of perfboard with additional switchable components. Note that two of the component spots on the main PCB (labeled "4K7" and "473") are empty. That's because those two components--the 4.7Kohm resistor and the 0.047uf film capacitor that determine the pedal's gain factor and bass rolloff frequency--have been replaced with switchable caps and resistors that are now on the right side of the perfboard. They'll be wired back to the open connection points on the main PCB through a 2x6 rotary switch.

The other components on the left side of the perfboard are two MOSFETs (metal oxide semiconductor field-effect transistors), each paired with a small silicon diode, that form one of the three switchable signal clipping arrays. The other two are a pair of red LED's and a 1x2 silicon diode array that are mounted on the main PCB. The three will be wired through a 3-position toggle switch for the "normal" (silicon), "hot" (LEDs) and "cool" (MOSFETs) clipping modes.

That makes 2 gain ranges x 3 bass rolloff frequencies x 3 clipping modes = 18 different combinations. And if you factor in the 4 opamps I include with the pedal, you're up to 72 DIFFERENT COMBINATIONS!! Imagine the possibilities!

Amps & Cabs - "Kap'n Kerrang-aroo" BYOC 18W TMB kit amp head; Mojave Coyote head; Fender Hot Rod Deluxe Lacquered Tweed Ltd. Ed.; Allen Sweet Spot kit amp; BYOC Tweed Royal kit amp; Epiphone Valve Jr. combo + mods; Drive 2x12 cab / Celestion G12M Greenback + G12H30; AB Custom Audio 1x12 cab / Celestion Alnico Blue

Pedals/Effects - ZILLIONS, including DVM's Home-built Pedals - See some HERE and HERE, TOO!

DVM's Gear Photos
    Visit MY WEBSITE!

Post Thanks / Like

That's way over my head...but cool. Right?

I was playing mine at a rehearsal tonight and the new guy was blown away by my sound which was a Classic 30 on 3 or 4 and the ZYS. It sounded really sweet.:

Post Thanks / Like

I absolutely love my ZYS on both my amps especially on the Blues Jr. when the volumes are well past 4-5 on both the volume and master. Talk about spank and screaming solos woooooooooo...
    Guitars/Bass - MIM Fender Classic 50s Strat, MIM Fender Standard Strat, Squier Classic Vibe 50s Tele, Gibson Les Paul Studio, Epi '56 Gold Top Les Paul, Martin DSR acoustic, Sigma Martin Auditorium electric/acoustic, Squier Jazz Bass.

Amps/Cabinets/Modelers - Model 2558 50 watt Marshall Silver Anniversary Jubilee combo w/ Celestion Vintage 30s, 4x12 Marshall cabinet w/25 watt Greenback Celestions, Fender Blues Junior w/ a couple of Billm mods, Line 6 POD 2.0, Roland Micro Cube

Pedals/Effects - Cry Baby Classic Wah, Boss TU-2, Boss NS-2, Boss RC-2 Loop Station, Ross Compressor, MXR Micro Amp, Danelectro FAB Echo, Danelectro FAB Chorus, Danelectro Chicken Salad, Marshall Guv'nor Plus, Marshall Echohead, Duhvoodooman's Zonkin' Yellow Screamer, Digitech Digiverb, Digitech Bad Monkey, Dunlop Fuzz Face, Homemade Loop Bypass pedal, Duhvoodooman's Sonic Tonic (Maxon SD-9 clone +), Voodoo Labs Superfuzz

Post Thanks / Like

The ZYS is one fine overdrive pedal. It's my go-to OD pedal over any other, and has been since I received it last year.
    Vood, if I hadn't already spent all my allowance on a new amp, I'd snatch it up in a heartbeat.
    Guitars
    Wilburn Versatare, '52 FrankenTele(Fender licensed parts), Fender USA Roadhouse Strat, Fender USA Standard B-bender Telecaster, Agile AL 3000 w/ WCR pickups, Ibanez MIJ V300 Acoustic, Squier Precision Bass,
    Amps
    Ceriatone Overtone Special, Musicman 212 Sixty-Five, Fender Blues Jr., Peavey Classic 30, Fender Super Reverb, Traynor YCV-40 WR Anniversary w/ matching 1x12 ext. cab, Epiphone SoCal 50w head w/ matching 4x12 cab (Lady Luck speakers), Avatar 2x12 semi-open back cab w/ Celestion speakers
    Pedals
    Digitech Bad Monkey, Digitech Jamman, DVM's ZYS, Goodrich volume pedal

Post Thanks / Like

Some more progress pics. Got the enclosure drilled this afternoon and fit up the pots, switches, jacks & power LED. Looking good thusfar....

DVM's Gear Photos
    Visit MY WEBSITE!

Camrose, Alberta, Canada - used to be Umea Sweden.
    Post Thanks / Like

I concur, it's one fine pedal.
    The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.
    Master Guitar Academy - I also teach via SKYPE.

Post Thanks / Like

Default It's ALIVE!!!

Here's a photo of the pedal assembled for testing. Everything's hooked up except the power LED, which I don't usually connect until final assembly. Works like a charm--sounds great & all features functional.

Now, on to decaling, clearcoating, and final assembly....

DVM's Gear Photos
    Visit MY WEBSITE!

Post Thanks / Like

So simple yet mightily awesome.:

What's that one thing for?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Spudman
    What's that one thing for?
    Umm, could we be a tad more specific??

DVM's Gear Photos
    Visit MY WEBSITE!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by duhvoodooman
    Umm, could we be a tad more specific??
    Gotchya. Tag you're it.

Post Thanks / Like

Ohhhh, that thing!! That's the freebous plaginator. If you don't get exactly the right kind and install it in precisely the correct orientation, the pedal ends up with negative mojo! If you use it at a gig in such a condition, the patrons will take you out in the parking lot and beat the snot out of you....

DVM's Gear Photos
    Visit MY WEBSITE!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by duhvoodooman
    Ohhhh, that thing!! That's the freebous plaginator. If you don't get exactly the right kind and install it in precisely the correct orientation, the pedal ends up with negative mojo! If you use it at a gig in such a condition, the patrons will take you out in the parking lot and beat the snot out of you....
    Oh. I think I played with a guy that had one of those in his pedals...maybe. It was either that or a jealous husband.

Post Thanks / Like

....I don't get it.
    Guitars/Bass - MIM Fender Classic 50s Strat, MIM Fender Standard Strat, Squier Classic Vibe 50s Tele, Gibson Les Paul Studio, Epi '56 Gold Top Les Paul, Martin DSR acoustic, Sigma Martin Auditorium electric/acoustic, Squier Jazz Bass.

Amps/Cabinets/Modelers - Model 2558 50 watt Marshall Silver Anniversary Jubilee combo w/ Celestion Vintage 30s, 4x12 Marshall cabinet w/25 watt Greenback Celestions, Fender Blues Junior w/ a couple of Billm mods, Line 6 POD 2.0, Roland Micro Cube

Pedals/Effects - Cry Baby Classic Wah, Boss TU-2, Boss NS-2, Boss RC-2 Loop Station, Ross Compressor, MXR Micro Amp, Danelectro FAB Echo, Danelectro FAB Chorus, Danelectro Chicken Salad, Marshall Guv'nor Plus, Marshall Echohead, Duhvoodooman's Zonkin' Yellow Screamer, Digitech Digiverb, Digitech Bad Monkey, Dunlop Fuzz Face, Homemade Loop Bypass pedal, Duhvoodooman's Sonic Tonic (Maxon SD-9 clone +), Voodoo Labs Superfuzz

Post Thanks / Like

There's nothing to get, really. Spuds and I are just being silly. Sorry....

DVM's Gear Photos
    Visit MY WEBSITE!

Post Thanks / Like

It's more fun than just posting "bump.":

Post Thanks / Like

Don't have to bump as long as I have new photos!

Here's the enclosure with the full-face decal applied. This is S-O-O-O much easier than the old individual decal cutout method, and looks a lot better, too:

DVM's Gear Photos
    Visit MY WEBSITE!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast