Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
Possible find "Sat in attic for 12 years"

Thread: Possible find "Sat in attic for 12 years"

Post Thanks / Like

Default Possible find "Sat in attic for 12 years"

I may be able to pick up a free Japan-made Strat copy that "sat in attic for a dozen years". Make was a sub-brand of Matsumoku, I suspect.

Any advice on best approach getting this dormant guitar back to life?

Attic usually means high temperature. I wonder if it produced any damage?

Anyhow, update Friday eve!
    Last edited by poodlesrule; September 30th, 2010 at 01:48 PM. Reason: grammar
    Less golf, more saxophone

Post Thanks / Like

Any advice on best approach getting this dormant guitar back to life?
    Yes, immediately mail the guitar to me for closer inspection. When I'm through, I may mail it back.
    Maybe.

Seriously, it may be in fine condition - or not. Clean it up, do a basic setup, plug it in and see where things stand. And post pics!!
    "Always go heavy on the effects and try to blind the audience with expensive gear." - hubberjub

I mean, no offense, but I don't really see why, like guitar players from Creed, or something like that, are on the cover of guitar magazines. Almost anybody can sit down and learn to play those songs.
    Dweezil Zappa

Post Thanks / Like

I found a '72 sg in my grandmothers attic. had been up there for 25 years, in GEORGIA!!!!!!! after a pro setup, new strings and some deoxit, it played like brand new! The only thing was the neck was slightly bowed due to leaning against the wall for so long, the bow was so slight it was barely noticible, or "negligible" as my tech said. My cousin has it now and it still sings!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by 6stringdrug
    I found a '72 sg in my grandmothers attic.
    I love attic and garage sale find stories! What's cool is, you know there are still hundreds of vintage guitars and amps sitting in basements and attics out there, waiting for a lucky person with a good eye to find them.

I love watching PBS's Antiques Roadshow. It amazes me how many lucky finds there are out there.

Guitar: Gibson SG Standard Natural Burst, Squier CV 50's Tele, Hell Guitars No. 2, Squier CV 50's Strat, Reverend Club King 290, Taylor 522e 12-Fret mahogany,
    Squier Vintage Modified Jaguar Bass Short Scale
    Amp: Fender Super Champ X2 Head, Egnater Tweaker 15, Fender Mustang I, Acoustic B20 1x12 bass amp
    Pedal: Budda Budwah wah, Wampler Ego Compressor, Electro-Harmonix Soul Food, Voodoo Lab Sparkle Drive, Wampler Velvet Fuzz, Seven Sisters Eve Tremolo, TC Electronics Gravy Tri Chorus & Vibrato, Catalinbread Echorec, TC Electronic Alter Ego 2 Delay, Hardwire Supernatural Ambient Verb, MXR Carbon Copy, Catalinbread RAH, Big Muff Pi with Tone Wicker, BYOC Mouse 2.0 Distortion, BYOC Boost/OD-2

Post Thanks / Like

Very Cool. Matsumoku made some fantastic guitars. Lots of folks seek them out far and wide.

Check this out.
    "It's never too late to be what you might have been" - Eliot

Guilars: '02 Heritage H-535 ASB; '04 Larrivée LV-03 w/Fishman Blend; '95 Washburn/Bourgeios D-55SW Cherokee
    Amphs: Boogie DC-2; DVM/BYOC Tweed Champlifier; Marshall AS50D
    Currently on Board: Ditto Looper; Boss TU-2; EB VP Jr; crybaby; DVM Spring Fever; DVM Mini Klone, Brena Effects Cali-Tremor tremolo; Strymon El Capistan

Post Thanks / Like

Well, it's home, no pics yet, camera is heading home in a few hours.

It's a Mako LKS-3 Fat Strat, red with black pickguard, with a tiny extra switch which may be a series/parallel scheme (?)

Plywood body, beautiful blonde maple neck, (pointy!) with fairly big frets in good shape.
    Pickguard has crack at middle pickup, humbucker is loose, but all is functional and sounds pretty scratchy, but pretty good
    Very solid feel. Matsumuko heritage?

One issue is that, despite the five springs and the claw being screwed in quite a bit, the back of bridge sits abnormally up from the body. I guess I need to revisit my notes on Strat setup to find the proper way to adjust.

EDIT: Where does one get Doxit (RS?) and how is it applied?
    Last edited by poodlesrule; October 1st, 2010 at 11:48 AM.
    Less golf, more saxophone

Post Thanks / Like

Deoxit is available at your local guitar repair shop. You just spray it on th epots, move em around and let it dry. Thats it, if it doesnt fix the problem, chances are you need to replace something. I use it first before I start digging around inside the cavity. It works great for pedals Too!