Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What's the worst storm you've ever driven through?

Post Thanks / Like

I've given this a lot of thought, and I'm going to have to say . . . the divorce from the second wife.

Oh, sorry . . . wrong kinda storm.
    Guitars and other stringed instruments: Washburn D10S, Washburn EA52SWCE, Washburn Cumberland J28SDL, Washburn D46S12, D'Aquisto Centura, Rover RM-50B Mando

Amps and Cabs: Behringer AT108, Firefly Tube Amph, Blackheart Little Giant BH5H, Shiner's Custom Cab v.1.0

". . . because without beer, things do not seem to go as well . . ." Brother Epp, Capuchin Monastery, Munjor, Kansas 1902

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by luvmyshiner
    I've given this a lot of thought, and I'm going to have to say . . . the divorce from the second wife.

Oh, sorry . . . wrong kinda storm.
    yeah shiner your definitely have a winner there with CB no doubt about it.seems like a great gal you're a lucky guy
    Life is like a camera, just focus on what’s important and capture the good times, develop from the negatives and if things don’t work out, just take another shot. ~ Anonymous

Guitars: 1967(year they came out): Fender Coronado II Wildwood I ,Fullerton ST- 4 Fat Strat , Esteban Legacy acous/elec,99 MIA Standard Fender Strat
    Amph's Original Roland Cube 15,Drive 30 w/spring reverb

Post Thanks / Like

21 or so years ago, driving to my new home in Southern Ontario from Grande Prairie Alberta. Riding in my '78 Bronco, loaded with books, records etc. Crossing the top of Lake Superior near a place called Schreiber, hit an amazing storm coming off the lake. Frigid wind (-20 or so), driving snow, zero visibility. Cops finally closed the TransCanada and a lineup of cars and semis pulled into Schreiber. Rooms sold out, but I found one in a motel that was opening up a wing not typically used in winter. No heat on at first.
    We all plugged our block heaters in, one guy with a luxury Saab plugged in his block, oil plan warmer and an interior warmer. Threw the breaker for that wing of outlets, but no one knew til the next morning and all the vehicles were frozen solid. Took til 4 in the afternoon to get the Bronco thawed and get back on the road. I'll always remember calling my wife from a phone booth near the motel and telling her of my situation -- had to literally shout over the howling wind. Never, ever been that cold, don't want to be.
    Great stories!
    helliott in Hamilton
    Guitars -- 2 PRS CE 24s 85/15 pups, PRS semi-hollow CE 22, Fender Baja Telecaster; Gibson Les Paul Standard; 80s Strat updated with custom 69 pups, Anniversary Strat with Fat 50s, Epiphone Sheraton re-issue; Yamaha 5-string bass; Yamaha TBS 6 and 12 string acoustics,Takamine acoustic, Fender nylon string acoustic
    Amps -- Mesa Boogie Lone Star; Boss Katana 100, Peavey Blueamaster 2x10, Line 6 Helix
    Pedals etc: Mosfet Full Drive 2; Ibanez Tube Screamer; Fairfield Barbershop OD, Diamond Compressor; Voodo Sparkledrive, Boss Digital Delay DD7; Boss TU2 Chromatic Tuner; Cry Baby wah

Post Thanks / Like

helliott... brrrrr.... yuck...

player, thank you. i'm pretty sure i owe strummy a big ole thank you too... yeah, i'm sure i do.

strum, thank you, too. any day i can make you laugh is a Good Day. [edit: cross reference to your Guy Talk thread]
    2006 Washburn WD55SW Augusta, 2006 Washburn J28S12DL, Washburn EA20SDL,
    2008 American Standard Fender Telecaster
    2008 Rondo Limited Edition SST, G&L ASAT Semi-Hollow, Gibson LP Ultra

Post Thanks / Like

When I was in college (MANY years ago), there were a few of us working with this company with whom we worked out of town every week. One of the nights, me and this other guy left Atlanta on another guy's company car headed home (about a 225 mile drive). We had already started drinking beer before we left and hadn't gone 30 miles or so before it ran hot. We pulled off an exit, waited for it to cool off. The dufus at the gas station made the brilliant statement that, "no wonder it's hot - all the water's gone!" I knew it was a stuck thermostat and I also knew it was useless to argue, so we told him to fill the radiator and we took off again. I knew we were only about 15-20 miles to the next exit and we'd get it fixed there. Well, we barely made it to the next exit and we left it with the mechanic and hit the Holiday Inn lounge and went back to sucking down more beer. After several beers, he had it fixed, so we paid him and left.

After about 3 more hours (many bathroom breaks and more beer purchases), we got close to a small town about 40 miles from home. It was getting late, around 10 p.m. or so, when we ran into one the worst storms that I've ever driven in. (I was the one who was still able to drive.) Anyway, it was the heaviest rain I've ever seen - you couldn't see the end of the hood, much less down the road. And the LIGHTNING was TERRIBLE! It was striking in the trees and ditches on either side of us and was popping so fast and so often it looked like a strobe light!

Well, we finally got to the small town and it was still storming terribly and, of course, we had to pee again. We stopped at this small convenience store and asked to use their bathroom. Well the sweet young lady working wouldn't let us, so we walked out front and looked around. Using beer induced logic and reason, plus the fact that it was raining so hard you couldn't see the street from the store front, we walked to corner and let it fly right there. It was probably a good thing the police weren't riding by, cause that would have more than likely gotten us put UNDER the jail. But, no one saw us, and we cruised on home without further incident. Guess someone was looking after us after all.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12