Thread: Next project?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Next project?

MAN! this one is sweet!!
    Neck thru zebra wood and zebra wood wings!
    Zõ§õ
    The power that music has to connect people to each other has always been one of the guitarists driving forces. - John Frusciante

Axes'
    R-Axe Guitars "Black Betty" - 1st Ultimate DIY
    Ibanez X-Series-DT350 (Star Shape)
    Ibanez AEG10E - Black
    Yamaha RBX200F Fretless w/DiMarzio DP127 Pup

Amps
    Peavey 110 Audition

Pedals/FX
    CryBaby 535Q
    DigiTech CF7 Chorus Factory
    BOSS BD-2

Post Thanks / Like

I have a Winston fly rod with a Zebrawood reelseat and Nickel Silver which looks cherry. That looks....mmmmm pretty cool.....don't know how it would sound though?
    Guitars/Bass - MIM Fender Classic 50s Strat, MIM Fender Standard Strat, Squier Classic Vibe 50s Tele, Gibson Les Paul Studio, Epi '56 Gold Top Les Paul, Martin DSR acoustic, Sigma Martin Auditorium electric/acoustic, Squier Jazz Bass.

Amps/Cabinets/Modelers - Model 2558 50 watt Marshall Silver Anniversary Jubilee combo w/ Celestion Vintage 30s, 4x12 Marshall cabinet w/25 watt Greenback Celestions, Fender Blues Junior w/ a couple of Billm mods, Line 6 POD 2.0, Roland Micro Cube

Pedals/Effects - Cry Baby Classic Wah, Boss TU-2, Boss NS-2, Boss RC-2 Loop Station, Ross Compressor, MXR Micro Amp, Danelectro FAB Echo, Danelectro FAB Chorus, Danelectro Chicken Salad, Marshall Guv'nor Plus, Marshall Echohead, Duhvoodooman's Zonkin' Yellow Screamer, Digitech Digiverb, Digitech Bad Monkey, Dunlop Fuzz Face, Homemade Loop Bypass pedal, Duhvoodooman's Sonic Tonic (Maxon SD-9 clone +), Voodoo Labs Superfuzz

Post Thanks / Like

That is a cool looking axe. But, doesn't it need strings and stuff? I know...I just couldn't resist.
    How does that wood sound by the way? It sure looks groovy.

"No Tele For you." - The Tele Nazi

Ha! Tele-ish now inbound.

Post Thanks / Like

Did you buy this, and if so where? If you don't mind me asking, how much? When is it gonna be completed? How soon before we hear the first recorded track?

MORE INFO, MAN!

Geez, I need to get some sleep.
    Guitars:
    Fender 2006 MIM Fender Stratocaster HSS in 3TS
    Ibanez RG 570 with a bridge Invader
    ESP M II Deluxe with a Tune-o-Matic bridge
    Eleanor, the magical, mystical Road Worn wonder Tele
    Blackstar HT Club 40

Post Thanks / Like

Glad to see that you've moved outtta the kitchen ZoSo, that ax looks sweet.

Post Thanks / Like

nah I don't own it, seen it on ebay, it's built by Musikraft and sold as you see it.
    But it gave me an idea to do one very similar to it

I'm gonna work on my Ibanez first though, nothings been done to it since I got it, almost 20 years ago,,LOL
    I'm thinking of stripping it down, and repainting it, possibly modify the body a little, put a new set of pups in, still haven't decidied if I want to keep the trem in it, replace it with a Floyd Rose or make it a non-trem.
    Zõ§õ
    The power that music has to connect people to each other has always been one of the guitarists driving forces. - John Frusciante

Axes'
    Ibanez AEG10E - Black

Amps
    Peavey 110 Audition

Pedals/FX
    CryBaby 535Q
    BOSS BD-2

Post Thanks / Like

Zoso
    That Ibanez is getting some collectibility behind it. I'd think twice before altering it.

"No Tele For you." - The Tele Nazi

Ha! Tele-ish now inbound.

Post Thanks / Like

i was thinking about refinishing my peavey fat strat knockoff but am afraid that once i remove the black finish i will find ugly *** wood under there and then i would have to buy a new body...etc. Of course i really like the neck so maybe a new body wouldn't be such a bad idea....something totally non traditional!

ww
    Quote Originally Posted by just strum
    For the record, my annoyance with Warren has a lot to do with the hissing noises he makes.
    Guitars: Gibson 1998 Les Paul Special : Peavey Predator (Early 90's Fat Strat Copy) : Ibanez GAX30TR
    Brownsville Reso - 101 Electric Reso : Fender GDO-300 Maple Quilt Top Acoustic

Amps: Fender Super Champ XD

Effects: Digitech RP250 Modeling Guitar Processor : DVM "Phased and Confused" Script Phaser Clone : Digitech Bad Monkey
    Danelectro Cool Cat Chorus : Behringer Distortion Modeler : Ernie Ball Volume Pedal : Dunlop Cry Baby Wah

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Spudman
    Zoso
    That Ibanez is getting some collectibility behind it. I'd think twice before altering it.
    I thought about that, and looked in to it a little bit. They don't seem to be getting much more then what it was bought for.

For now I'm just going to set it up, and believe me, it needs it LOL, and replace the pups with a couple Rio Grande's (Crunchbox & Punchbox, most likely, or maybe a couple Dimarzio's - Evo2@bridge, Breed@neck)
    Last edited by ZoSo65; April 22nd, 2006 at 01:06 PM.
    Zõ§õ

Axes'
    Ibanez AEG10E - Black

Amps
    Peavey 110 Audition

Pedals/FX
    CryBaby 535Q
    BOSS BD-2

Post Thanks / Like

speaking of refinishing guitars....what products have any of you fretters used to strip the old finish and paint from your guitar....also what sort of finish do you recommend. My guess is the wood is not going to be the best looking if i strip down my old peavey...so i would probably paint it....

ww
    For the record, my annoyance with Warren has a lot to do with the hissing noises he makes.
    Guitars: Gibson 1998 Les Paul Special : Peavey Predator (Early 90's Fat Strat Copy) : Ibanez GAX30TR

Effects: Digitech RP250 Modeling Guitar Processor : DVM "Phased and Confused" Script Phaser Clone : Digitech Bad Monkey
    Danelectro Cool Cat Chorus : Behringer Distortion Modeler : Ernie Ball Volume Pedal : Dunlop Cry Baby Wah

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by warren0728
    speaking of refinishing guitars....what products have any of you fretters used to strip the old finish and paint from your guitar....also what sort of finish do you recommend. My guess is the wood is not going to be the best looking if i strip down my old peavey...so i would probably paint it....

ww
    A quality stripper should work just fine, just be sure to clean the wood very good before you start the painting process.
    If you plan on painting it again you just might want to sand it down to the primer/sealer, other wise, depending on how porous the wood(Rosewood, Mahogany, Ash, Koa, Walnut, etc.), your going to have to use a grain filler to get a smooth finish, that holds even if you plan on staining, just use a clear grain filler.
    As far as finish, I used nitrocellulose stringed instrument laquer, but you could use a urethane base too, I just like laquer better.

Here's some steps to follow:
    1- clean and prep any imperfections, sand to 220 grit
    2- nows the time to stain, if your going to stain
    3- for porous woods- washcoat, i used a 50/50 mix of vinyl sealer and laquer thinner. Sand lightly with 220
    4- for porous woods- grain filler time. Sand again with 220.
    5- sealer, I used the vinyl sealer uncut. 3 to 4 coats max. Sand with 320.
    6- Base coat(color) I did 4 coats here and I lightly sanded with 320 starting after 2nd coat, after 4th I sanded with 400 wet then to 600 wet.
    7- Clear coat, I did 10 coats here to give it a lot of depth. Sanded with 600 wet every 2 coats, and sanded with 800 wet before last 2 coats.
    9- After paint is 100% cured, I waited 5 days, oh yeah forgot to mention that I also waited 24 to 48 hours between coats in the previous steps before sanding. I started wet sanding from 800 to 2500 grit. Then buffed it out with a 2 stage process and a swirl remover, then I put a good coat of Meguires Deep Crystal wax.

This is just a guideline that I used, because I'm used to it, but there are several variations.

The most important thing though is patience! Don't try and rush the process, or it will bight you in the butt, trust me
    Zõ§õ

Axes'
    Ibanez AEG10E - Black

Amps
    Peavey 110 Audition

Pedals/FX
    CryBaby 535Q
    BOSS BD-2

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ZoSo65
    A quality stripper should work just fine, just be sure to clean the wood very good before you start the painting process.
    If you plan on painting it again you just might want to sand it down to the primer/sealer,
    wow...thanks for the detailed info....i am definately going to paint the guitar so do i need the stripper or just sand down the existing finish? Does the sanding (before painting) all need to be done by hand?

Any suggestions on where to get the paint?

ww

Post Thanks / Like

I would sand down to the primer/sealer,,, get the paint off.
    I would do it by hand, unless your good with an orbital sander. For the flat areas I would use a flat block of wood with a felt bottom, wrapped with sandpaper, all curved surfaces by hand, and watch when sanding sharp corners, you'll hit wood real fast if not careful!

I bought my sealer, laquer and color dye from Stewart MacDonald, they have everything you would need for a nitrocellulose finish.
    Zõ§õ

Axes'
    Ibanez AEG10E - Black

Amps
    Peavey 110 Audition

Pedals/FX
    CryBaby 535Q
    BOSS BD-2

Post Thanks / Like

just checked their website...did you get a spray gun from them too....or are there better alternatives?

thanks again for your help...

ww

Post Thanks / Like

I have access to spray equipment at my job.
    I actually used this Husky. It works rather well, just have to remember to clean it well between uses, as with any sprayer.

Have you ever sprayed before?
    Zõ§õ

Axes'
    Ibanez AEG10E - Black

Amps
    Peavey 110 Audition

Pedals/FX
    CryBaby 535Q
    BOSS BD-2

Post Thanks / Like

never with a gun....just from a can....i was thinking a guitar would be a nice first project.

ww

Post Thanks / Like

OK can is a lot different then a gun.
    Gun sprays more volume and paint is prepped different. The stuff from Stu-Mac doesn't need no thinning, so that's good, makes it a little easier.

Before you spray your axe, make some practice runs with the gun on some wood blanks and get used to thin/dry coats and wet coats. Basically, if the paint looks like it's going to run, it's perfect for a wet coat. Thin/dry coats obviously are what it means,,hehe

There's some good info, and a lot of it, on the web about using a gun. Take some time and check in to it
    Zõ§õ

Axes'
    Ibanez AEG10E - Black

Amps
    Peavey 110 Audition

Pedals/FX
    CryBaby 535Q
    BOSS BD-2

Post Thanks / Like

i definately will...should be a fun project and learning experience!

thanks again for your help!

ww

Post Thanks / Like

ww - I've had this link bookmarked, and thought it might be of some use to you. This place is called the Guitar Re-Ranch, and there's a lot of information about re-finishing guitars and such. Of course, it's an obvious connection to their retail sales efforts, but good information none-the-less:

http://home.flash.net/~guitars/index.html