Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968
Well I'm back

Thread: Well I'm back

Post Thanks / Like

Default Well I'm back

After twenty years of just occasional strumming on my old Ovation acoustic. The fire has been lit again. Started playing when I was 14 mostly jammin with friends. Then at 19 went on the road as a Stage manager/Pyro tech for a band called Chango (high energy latin rock) or as Billboard said about us "Santana carbon copy but these guys really pull it off" four years touring the band broke up and life went on. Raised a family took up other hobbies like motorcycles, flying, building computers. Started my own business a few years ago and have been very fortunate that it has become so successful so quickly. Recently the old flame has started flickering again and I am now awaiting the delivery of my Fender EC Strat, VoxAD 50VT, and a Vox wah pedal. I gotta say I havent been this excited since my first solo flight. I really enjoy the blues and old classic rock. I do plan to greatly improve from where I left off 20 years ago since my two other old jammin buddies are no longer with me, Mr. Burbon and Mary J Uwanna LOL. Yes back in the day we jammed and partyed maybe to excess at times....OK well a lot of the time! It is really amazing where the technology has taken us. Just looking around at whats available for the musician today compared to twenty plus years ago is mind boggling. Theres stuff now we could only dream about that is available and affordable, just amazing. Well hows that for and introduction? Ill shut up now LOL Great site seems like good folks here. So now Ill get back to waitin for my stuff oh BTW waiting sux!

Regards
    Mark

Post Thanks / Like

welcome mark...glad you found us...while you are waiting for your gear read through some of the archives...lots of great info on you soon-to-be amp and lots of comedic relief too!

ww
    Quote Originally Posted by just strum
    For the record, my annoyance with Warren has a lot to do with the hissing noises he makes.
    Guitars: Gibson 1998 Les Paul Special : Peavey Predator (Early 90's Fat Strat Copy) : Ibanez GAX30TR
    Brownsville Reso - 101 Electric Reso : Fender GDO-300 Maple Quilt Top Acoustic

Amps: Fender Super Champ XD

Effects: Digitech RP250 Modeling Guitar Processor : DVM "Phased and Confused" Script Phaser Clone : Digitech Bad Monkey
    Danelectro Cool Cat Chorus : Behringer Distortion Modeler : Ernie Ball Volume Pedal : Dunlop Cry Baby Wah

Post Thanks / Like

Mark, welcome to F.N. This is a great community. Glad you found us! Sounds like you have some good stuff on the way. I'm looking forward to hearing your opinions on it when you receive it. Keep that fire burning...
    Guitars: Squier Standard Tele; Fender MIM fat strat; Traveler Speedster
    Amp: Vox AD30VT; Vox DA5; Fender Frontman 25R
    Other: DigiTech Bad Monkey; Tascam CD-GT1; Korg Pandora
    GAS'n for: Nothing at the moment!

Post Thanks / Like

I love to hear about other geezers with passion! I only wish I had a successful business to fuel my desires. Welcome!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mark
    . . . went on the road as a Stage manager/Pyro tech for a band called Chango (high energy latin rock) . . .
    High energy latin rock with pyro! Awesome! That sounds like one kickin' show. Welcome to the fray, Mark.

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome Mark. You found a good home here. There are lots of talented musicians (not geezers) that are members of this forum. Enjoy your stay and watch out for topics that seem to stay off to the left or right. Oh yea, keep an eye open for Tot Ou Tard !!!
    Guitars:

Electric: Washburn HB-30, Squier Tele Custom Deluxe, Jay Turser Strat.
    Acoustic: Seagull S6.

AMPs: VOX AD30VT, Peavey Envoy 110.

Modelers: V-AMP 2, Digitech RP-100A.

Pedals: Boss RC-2 Loop Station, Boss CE-5 Chorus Ensemble, Digitech Bad Monkey, Ibanez DE7 Delay/Echo, DOD VFX40B 7-Band Graphic EQ, Ibanez CS-5 Super Chorus.

Post Thanks / Like

Tom Petty: "The wai-ai-ting is the hardest part."

Congratulations on getting back into what you love. I'm surprised you stayed away and sold your stuff. You are far more brave than I am. I hang on to all my stuff like a crutch.
    May I offer some advice? Hide your credit card and check book. If you stay on the forum you are going to end up buying way more stuff. I think we might change the name to GASnet. We all love stuff!

I do plan to greatly improve from where I left off 20 years ago since my two other old jammin buddies are no longer with me, Mr. Burbon and Mary J Uwanna LOL. Yes back in the day we jammed and partyed maybe to excess at times....OK well a lot of the time! It is really amazing where the technology has taken us. Just looking around at whats available for the musician today compared to twenty plus years ago is mind boggling. Mark
    Yes technology and time are wonderful things. The Bourbon is 20 years older and Mary has gotten into the steroids!

Hope you enjoy hanging out at the Fret.

"No Tele For you." - The Tele Nazi

Ha! Tele-ish now inbound.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tim
    Enjoy your stay and watch out for topics that seem to stay off to the left or right. Oh yea, keep an eye open for Tot Ou Tard !!!
    One eye on the ditch....it's at least as interesting there as on the track.

......train keep a rolling ain't gonna roll 'round here no mooOOoooore.

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome aboard Mark, Glad to have you
    Zõ§õ
    The power that music has to connect people to each other has always been one of the guitarists driving forces. - John Frusciante

Axes'
    R-Axe Guitars "Black Betty" - 1st Ultimate DIY
    Ibanez X-Series-DT350 (Star Shape)
    Ibanez AEG10E - Black
    Yamaha RBX200F Fretless w/DiMarzio DP127 Pup

Amps
    Peavey 110 Audition

Pedals/FX
    CryBaby 535Q
    DigiTech CF7 Chorus Factory
    BOSS BD-2

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks a lot guys!! Glad to be here. Ill be soakin up all that I can here and elsewhere I might burn out Musicians friends server checkin my order status. I guess I could have gone over to guitar center and gotten my stuff but It puts a smirk on my face not to pay a couple of hundred in taxes to the beloved Peoples republik of Kalifornia. I have been brushing up on the old Ovation but its strictly a strumming guitar even with Light guage strings its still like tryin to bend railroad tracks.

As far as hiding the checkbook and CC I know this drill all to well LMAO whatever you start with is only the "starter kit" so you can figure out what is needed to get to the next level where ever that may be. Oh well good things come to them that wait. Im really lookin forward to being able to record with my computer as a practice tool and for pleasure (something not available twenty years ago) lord knows I got the computers to do it. Well thanks for the welcome folks Ill be around for sure. BTW nice web site Robert I checked out the backing tracks to practice to really cool and lotsa good info as well.

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome, Mark! We have much in common!

Raised a family took up other hobbies like....building computers.
    Still raising one (not sure that ever stops!) and love to build PC's and fiddle around with 'em. Check out my website (link in sig, below)

Recently the old flame has started flickering again and I am now awaiting the delivery of my Fender EC Strat, VoxAD 50VT, and a Vox wah pedal.
    I have an '89 or '90 (not sure from the S/N) Strat Plus that was basically the precursor to the EC model. Nice instrument! This past Christmas, I bought a VOX AD30VT, and then picked up a Dunlop CryBaby for when those White Room/Voodoo Chile urges hit!

I really enjoy the blues and old classic rock.
    Amen. bruddah! And the AD50VT gives you plenty of amp models (esp. the lefthand side of the dial) to gives you those classic rock and blues tones. One suggestion--pick yourself up a Digitech Bad Monkey overdrive pedal ($40 new). Fantastic for adding a little edge to some of the cleaner amp models, and particularly useful for blues. I use mine with the Boutique CL, Black 2x12 and Tweed 4x10 models all the time.

I do plan to greatly improve from where I left off 20 years ago since my two other old jammin buddies are no longer with me, Mr. Burbon and Mary J Uwanna LOL.
    Yeah, it's funny how your "friends" can hold you back! A clear mind is a great help, if (like me!) you have more enthusiasm than talent!

I'm sure you're gonna like it here, Mark. Great bunch of people--open, knowledgeable, and funny, too!
    DVM's Ever-Expanding Gear List:

Guitars - W-A-A-A-Y-Y too many to list. Check 'em all out HERE

Amps & Cabs - "Kap'n Kerrang-aroo" BYOC 18W TMB kit amp head; Mojave Coyote head; Fender Hot Rod Deluxe Lacquered Tweed Ltd. Ed.; Allen Sweet Spot kit amp; BYOC Tweed Royal kit amp; Epiphone Valve Jr. combo + mods; Drive 2x12 cab / Celestion G12M Greenback + G12H30; AB Custom Audio 1x12 cab / Celestion Alnico Blue

Pedals/Effects - ZILLIONS, including DVM's Home-built Pedals - See some HERE and HERE, TOO!

DVM's Gear Photos
    Visit MY WEBSITE!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Welcome

Welcome Mark to Robert's The Fret.Net! I hope you are still not waiting for your ad50vt, I have been experimenting with mine for a couple months now and I am finding new sounds all the time.
    This is a great place to hang out as you have probably already found.

M29