Thread: Upgrade or VJ?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Upgrade or VJ?

Now, I love my Vox AD30VT - it sounds great with my gordon smith (and did when I had a Pacifica, for which I am GASsing for the new 112V but I digress...) but also loved the Epi VJ I tried once. Now, should I bother upgrading the speaker to a Celestion G10 or whatever other speaker or keep it stock and get a valve junior to partner it? bearing in mind MOST of my playing is at fairly low volumes though I'm looking to jam soon, though dont see me gigging atall. I also use my toneport a lot for headphone playing. I have a small pedal collection (OD, Dist, Chorus and hopefully soon delay) which I could use to expand the possibilities of a VJ, but dont want to spend too much of my GAS savings as I want a 2nd Electric (the aforementioned Pacifica, which for me beat a Mex strat hands down).

I spent a time using a Valve Junior and it was lovely with an OD pedal alone - just LOUD for its size! What to do?
    Guitars Gordon Smith GS1.5-40, Peavey Generation EXP, Ovation Celebrity electro

Amps Behringer GM110

Effects Danelectro Blue Paisley pure drive, Danelectro Cool Cat CD1 Distortion, Danelectro Black Paisley liquid metal, Danelectro Cool Cat chorus(original 18v model), Danelectro Dan Echo delay, Line 6 Toneport GX,

Post Thanks / Like

Good question. I've been pondering the same thing for quite some time now.
    Axen: Jackson DK2M, Fender Deluxe Nashville Telecaster, Reverend Warhawk 390, Taylor 914ce, ESP LTD Surveyor-414
    Amphen: Jet City JCA22H and JCA12S cab, Carvin X-60 combo, Acoustic B20
    Effecten: "Thesis 96" Overdrive/Boost (aka DVM OD2), Hardwire DL-8 Digital Delay/Looper, DigiTech Polara Reverb, DigiTech EX-7 Expression Factory and CF-7 Chorus Factory, Danelectro CF-1 Cool Cat Fuzz
    "I wish Imagine Dragons would be stuck in an Arcade Fire for an entire Vampire Weekend."--Brian Posehn

Post Thanks / Like

i think everyone should have at least one tube amph....just sayin'.....

ww
    Quote Originally Posted by just strum
    For the record, my annoyance with Warren has a lot to do with the hissing noises he makes.
    Guitars: Gibson 1998 Les Paul Special : Peavey Predator (Early 90's Fat Strat Copy) : Ibanez GAX30TR
    Brownsville Reso - 101 Electric Reso : Fender GDO-300 Maple Quilt Top Acoustic

Amps: Fender Super Champ XD

Effects: Digitech RP250 Modeling Guitar Processor : DVM "Phased and Confused" Script Phaser Clone : Digitech Bad Monkey
    Danelectro Cool Cat Chorus : Behringer Distortion Modeler : Ernie Ball Volume Pedal : Dunlop Cry Baby Wah

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by warren0728
    i think everyone should have at least one tube amph....just sayin'.....

ww
    I'm with Warren. I'd take the tube amph over a speaker upgrade.

I have the AD30VT & did the speaker upgrade. It is an improvement, but not the get a whole new amph kind of improvment.

Since I've gotten the Fender Champion 600 I hardly ever play the AD30VT anymore.
    I pick a moon dog.

Post Thanks / Like

From reading your post, it looks to me like you really would like to have the VJ.

If you have the funds, forego the speaker swap and get the Valve Junior head and cab. You'd end up having the best of both worlds, with sparkly tubey goodnes, as well as the flexibility of the Vox.

As far as the Yamaha goes, the 112 looks cool... I've been wanting to play a Mike Stern signature for some time now, but I haven't been able to find one to play...
    Guitars:
    Fender 2006 MIM Fender Stratocaster HSS in 3TS
    Ibanez RG 570 with a bridge Invader
    ESP M II Deluxe with a Tune-o-Matic bridge
    Eleanor, the magical, mystical Road Worn wonder Tele
    Blackstar HT Club 40

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tot_Ou_tard
    I'm with Warren. I'd take the tube amph over a speaker upgrade.

I have the AD30VT & did the speaker upgrade. It is an improvement, but not the get a whole new amph kind of improvment.

Since I've gotten the Fender Champion 600 I hardly ever play the AD30VT anymore.

Since you are not playing it anymore...you could send it down here....I will play it lovingly
    Guitars: 2002 Les Paul Studio Limited Color's Edition | 2004 Greg Bennett Avion Les Paul Copy | S101 Telecaster project | 2004 Washburn D46 Acoustic

Amplification: Epiphone Valve Jr. Head and Cabinet | VOX AD30VT

Effects: Rocktron Delay | BBE Free Fuzz | Big Muff Pi | Boss Flanger | Bad Monkey | Jekyll and Hyde | Cry Baby Wah | Boss EQ | Behrenger TU300 Tuner |

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kazz
    Since you are not playing it anymore...you could send it down here....I will play it lovingly
    I said hardly ever..not never .

I'll trade you for your Parkwood PW340FM .
    I pick a moon dog.

Post Thanks / Like

My 2 pesos......

I have the Vox AD30VT with the speaker upgrade and a modded version 2 VJ and I find myself using the VJ more than the Vox. It is nice to have the option to switch between the two as well.

I've heard good things about the latest VJ (version 3). My vote is to get the VJ and do the speaker swap on the Vox later.

GG
    Guitars: Washburn D10S, Washburn J28SDL, Washburn D56SW, Washburn F52SW, Washburn WI67PRO, Squire Standard Strat, Squire Tele Custom II, Squire '51, Agile AL-3100, Switch Wild IV Signature, Squire Classic Vibe 50's Tele

Amps: Vox AD30VT, Epiphone VJ Combo, Crate Palomino V8, Vox DA5

Pedals: Digitech Bad Monkey, Boss Blues Driver, Danelectro: PB&J Delay, Tuna Melt Tremolo, Chicken Salad Vibrato

Post Thanks / Like

Nothing against the AD series amps I had one too and loved it...but I eventually upgraded to an all tube amp. That happens to some people.
    Guitars/Bass - MIM Fender Classic 50s Strat, MIM Fender Standard Strat, Squier Classic Vibe 50s Tele, Gibson Les Paul Studio, Epi '56 Gold Top Les Paul, Martin DSR acoustic, Sigma Martin Auditorium electric/acoustic, Squier Jazz Bass.

Amps/Cabinets/Modelers - Model 2558 50 watt Marshall Silver Anniversary Jubilee combo w/ Celestion Vintage 30s, 4x12 Marshall cabinet w/25 watt Greenback Celestions, Fender Blues Junior w/ a couple of Billm mods, Line 6 POD 2.0, Roland Micro Cube

Pedals/Effects - Cry Baby Classic Wah, Boss TU-2, Boss NS-2, Boss RC-2 Loop Station, Ross Compressor, MXR Micro Amp, Danelectro FAB Echo, Danelectro FAB Chorus, Danelectro Chicken Salad, Marshall Guv'nor Plus, Marshall Echohead, Duhvoodooman's Zonkin' Yellow Screamer, Digitech Digiverb, Digitech Bad Monkey, Dunlop Fuzz Face, Homemade Loop Bypass pedal, Duhvoodooman's Sonic Tonic (Maxon SD-9 clone +), Voodoo Labs Superfuzz

Post Thanks / Like

I'm still in 2 minds - I sat down and analysed my playing time and most of it is via the toneport, often set to a decent amp with a pedal or before the input, then either phones or PC speakers. 'Amp' time is usually at very low volume in the evening or at weekend in the house, even on the odd house jam Ive been to its been 30W amps at about half volume and its plenty for messin' about. Hopefully any larger jams that may occur in future could be miked or use borrowed/venue gear. My playing isnt good enough to feel comfortable about being loud and the Vox goes much louder than I really need at the moment. I dont think I could push even a 5W valve amp into the sweet spot with my current situation, and space/storage is a problem in a small house with small kiddies. Maybe I'll shelve the tiny valve amp idea for now and consider a speaker swap (though again, at low volumes it may be barely noticeable).

I also really want another guitar and my local has some unspeakable deals to tempt me with. Need to get it past the wife-radar yet though.....thanks for the replies though. Looks like its Vox for me for a while yet.

Amps Behringer GM110

Effects Danelectro Blue Paisley pure drive, Danelectro Cool Cat CD1 Distortion, Danelectro Black Paisley liquid metal, Danelectro Cool Cat chorus(original 18v model), Danelectro Dan Echo delay, Line 6 Toneport GX,

Post Thanks / Like

Think I'd go for the tube amp also.

Think DVM still has a fully modded VJ up for sale.

http://www.thefret.net/showthread.php?t=6531&page=4
    Guitars (All Lefty): Fender MIM Wine Red Telecaster
    Washburn D10SCELHBK
    Greg Bennett (Samick) Avion AV3/LH/CS
    Franken-Strat (Maple Neck / Black Body & Pickguard / 2-Point Tremolo / GFS Alnico Single-coil Pups / Gold Hardware)
    2 Fullerton Standard Strats; Sunburst w/ GFS Overwound P'ups and Black w/ GFS Lil Killer Rail 'Buckers
    Fullerton Deluxe Dreadnought
    Amp: Blackheart BH1HS Killer Ant Half Stack (Bitmo Ant Eater Kit)
    Crate V18-112 (Goodsell RGM Speaker / Accutronics Tank / Switch R4 - R10 Mod)
    Pignose G40V (Jensen MOD Speaker / DC Heater Mod / Pentode:Triode Switch)
    Fender Champion 30 Reverb (Accutronics Tank / Jensen MOD Speaker)
    Speaker Cab: Lopo 1x12 Tweed Convertible w/ Eminence GB128 Speaker
    Pedals: Korg ToneWorks AX1000G, AX5G, & AmpworksG Modeling Signal Processors
    Boss DS-1 (Rectifier Tri-Gain Plus Mod); CS-3 (Opto Plus Mod); SD-1 Super (GT Mod); GE-7 (Plus Mod)
    Fender PT-100 Tuner
    E.H. Big Muff Pi (US)
    S.D. Pickup Booster
    Ibanez CF7 Chorus/Flanger
    Alesis NanoVerb
    ART Tube MP Studio (OPA2604 Op Amps) (On Champion 30)
    Behringer NR100 & OD100

Post Thanks / Like

I'd also go for the VJ.
    I own one and can't understand how I lived so long without it.
    Eric
    Guitars: Vox standard model 24,Framus jumbo acoustic,
    Crafter Telecaster copy,Crafter D-7 acoustic,
    Samick les paul copy.
    Dillion SG
    Amps: Behringer GMX1200H, Epiphone valve jr.

Post Thanks / Like

Well, its going to have to be either valve or Vox due to space issues. If I go down the little valve amp route these look mighty interesting and have great reviews on HC etc (they are basically rebranded blonde VJ's)

http://www.thomann.de/gb/harley_benton_ga15.htm
    http://www.thomann.de/gb/harley_benton_ga5g112.htm

I might really think about selling the Vox and going this route and use the toneport for quiet practice.

Amps Behringer GM110

Post Thanks / Like

That second one looks nice.
    Guitars (All Lefty): Fender MIM Wine Red Telecaster
    Washburn D10SCELHBK
    Greg Bennett (Samick) Avion AV3/LH/CS
    Franken-Strat (Maple Neck / Black Body & Pickguard / 2-Point Tremolo / GFS Alnico Single-coil Pups / Gold Hardware)
    2 Fullerton Standard Strats; Sunburst w/ GFS Overwound P'ups and Black w/ GFS Lil Killer Rail 'Buckers
    Fullerton Deluxe Dreadnought
    Amp: Blackheart BH1HS Killer Ant Half Stack (Bitmo Ant Eater Kit)
    Crate V18-112 (Goodsell RGM Speaker / Accutronics Tank / Switch R4 - R10 Mod)
    Pignose G40V (Jensen MOD Speaker / DC Heater Mod / Pentode:Triode Switch)
    Fender Champion 30 Reverb (Accutronics Tank / Jensen MOD Speaker)
    Speaker Cab: Lopo 1x12 Tweed Convertible w/ Eminence GB128 Speaker
    Pedals: Korg ToneWorks AX1000G, AX5G, & AmpworksG Modeling Signal Processors
    Boss DS-1 (Rectifier Tri-Gain Plus Mod); CS-3 (Opto Plus Mod); SD-1 Super (GT Mod); GE-7 (Plus Mod)
    Fender PT-100 Tuner
    E.H. Big Muff Pi (US)
    S.D. Pickup Booster
    Ibanez CF7 Chorus/Flanger
    Alesis NanoVerb
    ART Tube MP Studio (OPA2604 Op Amps) (On Champion 30)
    Behringer NR100 & OD100

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Grumpy
    Well, its going to have to be either valve or Vox due to space issues. If I go down the little valve amp route these look mighty interesting and have great reviews on HC etc (they are basically rebranded blonde VJ's)

http://www.thomann.de/gb/harley_benton_ga15.htm
    http://www.thomann.de/gb/harley_benton_ga5g112.htm

I might really think about selling the Vox and going this route and use the toneport for quiet practice.
    I've got a GA5 and it's pretty good, sounds a bit fenderish. I need to sort something out with the tone control though, as it is it's pretty much useless.

Post Thanks / Like

My question to you would be:
    Which amp model(s) do you spend the most time on?

I found myself on the Tweed and Blackface models all the time with my Tele and Strat.
    So I bought a Fender amp!

I kinda liked the Vox models, but it was either hit or miss, but I did consider an AC15.

I also found the high gain models fake and useless with my Les Paul...but some people like that Line6 tone/sound.

Id suggest buying a model that you play often, moreso than upgrading the AD30.
    Which BTW, I still think is a great amp, it served me well, I learned alot about tone from it(thanks ROBERT): ...but Im moving onward and forward!