Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Squier Standard telecaster

Post Thanks / Like

Hey Nelskie, The Schaller-type tuners... did they also replace those on the squier exact? without leaving any scars behind? Im starting to think this Squier_51 could use something to keep it in tune also..

So let's see...

1. strings and intonation...

2. take off strings replace pickups to noiseless

3. string and intonation...

4. replace tuners with fender Schaller-type made in the good ole USA

5. string and intonation...

6. replace pickguard with something neato

7. string and intonation...

8. leave it in guitar stand as grandbaby approaches

9. string and intonation

it's a vicious circle with that stringing thing aint it...

Jimmie Vaughan Strat , Squire 51
    Epi 56 GoldTop, SX "Vintage" Jazz Bass
    Zager 50, Guild GAD30R (Excellent)
    G-Dec 3 Thirty, Valve Junior & Cab
    Crate PowerBlock, Crate V33H
    JamVox, Studio GX With Mods/Farm 2.0.

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah - that string / intonation will follow you around like a stray cat, and your post most certainly illustrates their overall importance in the grand scheme of things. If you can afford the bone$, I'd do the mods all at once. Or, leave it stock until you've acquired all of the parts you're planning to change out. That way, you're not having to re-adjust everything all over again after replacing each individual part.

Those Fender Script Schallers are straight-up change-outs on the Squier Tele Std. - no scars at all, and look factory spec (and WAY better than the stock units). However, I'm not sure about them working on the '51. I'd check out the specs on the Fender / Squier website just to be sure. The neck on the '51 looks almost identical to the the ones on the Affinity models & Squier Std.'s, so I think there's a good chance they'd work. I have a number of good web and Ebay links for aftermarket parts that would work with your Squier, too, so if you're interested, let me know.

I think all totalled together (p'ups, tuners, pickguard), those parts were right in the $150 range, not incl. installation or set-up following. But they turned that guitar from a decent home practice player into a rock-solid rig that would hang with anything you threw at it - gigging, recording, jamming, etc. These guitars are a STEAL at $200 US. Spec out a few choice upgrades, and now you're walkin' the real Fender walk!

Post Thanks / Like

Those look nice on the squier! Im sure I will play the tele with the stock strings and all for a month while I collect the parts... these seem simple enough for me to install..just drop them in! thinking of putting 10's on the tele while leaving the 9's on the 51.. why? dunno.. sounds good though... would be nice to know for sure about the 51 and the fender shallers... its going out of tune way to much.. oh wait.. havent changed the strings yet.. old strings tend to do that to huh.. send the links to the parts store... unless I find them On Ebay cheaper they may come in handy!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Fender / Squier Guitar Parts Resources

Justa - Here are those parts links I'd mentioned earlier. I purchased the tuners from the link under #1 (The Stratosphere). The faux tortise pickguard I purchased from the link under #3 (Quick Connect). I've purchased many pickguards from this place - fast service, great products. The Noiseless Pickups are available from a number of online sources, and if you can get them from your local music, even better. The rest of the links I've included mainly for reference - some of them I've purchased from, some I haven't. I've always had good luck buying stuff from shops on Ebay. Happy hunting!!

1.) http://stores.ebay.com/The-STRATosphere

2.) http://www.guitarpartsresource.com/guitar_index.htm

3.) http://stores.ebay.com/QuickConnect

4.) http://stores.ebay.com/CHOPPERS-MUSI...Q3amesstQQtZkm

5.) http://stores.ebay.com/Guitarfetish-...Q3amesstQQtZkm

6.) http://stores.ebay.com/JCs-Guitars_W...Q3amesstQQtZkm

7.) http://stores.ebay.com/Fender-Authen...Q3amesstQQtZkm

Post Thanks / Like

Unhappy

Well the Standard Vintage Blonde arrived... and is being shipped back... Vintage Blonde is actually GREEN.. Lima bean Green.... sigh.. Gawd was it ugly...lol... Also had scratch mark at neck joint and the cable jack was falling out (noted before hand by others) .. shame.. I played it a bit.. I liked the feel alot.. sitting on my leg it was wonderfull.. just right.. I actually liked the neck very well and the bridge pickup was twangy.. the Neck was kinda dark or muddy.. imho.. but I know I am going to put Noiseless in here so no biggie.. I didn't actually ask for my money back though... I said please ship the Black & Chrome tele special edition when you recieve this one... so a standard is still in my future..just another week or two in the future ...I tried to show the greenish color in pictures..it does look Blonde in all pictures..but honest..its not.. ohwell.. heh.. see how long Musiciansfriend takes now for turn around..
    Last edited by Justaguyin_nc; August 20th, 2007 at 10:32 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Just - Too bad about your "lima bean" Tele - had I known you were getting it, I might have mentioned something about that particular shade. I find it strange that the same color (Vintage Blonde) looks a LOT different on other Fender / Squier guitars. I had a "blonde" Squier Tele II, and although it was a tad "mustard-y" to my eye, it still was a much nicer hue than that which is on the Std. Tele.

You could always take the bull by the horns, and paint it a different color. Not sure if you've seen Tremeloman's avatar, but he painted his Stratocaster pink, and I think it looks pretty cool. Myself, I'd like to have a Surf Green or Daphne Blue Tele at some point down the road, and may opt for another Squier Tele Std. for that project.

Anyways, I found a couple of Fender color charts. The first one is for their vintage models (with the correct auto color references.) If you get sick of basic black, remember - you have some options.

http://www.provide.net/~cfh/fenderc.html
    http://www.fender.com/resources/colors/index.html

Post Thanks / Like

NC
    I've been waiting for over 2 weeks now. I returned a recently purchased guitar also for a trade from MF, and you guessed it I ordered a Black and Chrome Tele. It's really only been 9 business days. Takes a while to ship back, inspect then send out the trade I guess. I can hardly wait though. Listening to the tone Swede gets with his I know we are making the right choice. If not...well at least we'll be able to see ourselves well so we can get our makeup on decently. I wonder what else that mirror could be used for, hmmmm?

"No Tele For you." - The Tele Nazi

Ha! Tele-ish now inbound.

Post Thanks / Like

2 weeks since they recieved the return?? I already ordered a replacement pickguard for mine.. Might use the Chrome one as a mirror someplace.. heh.. to be honest..its the reason I went with Blonde.. didn't want a chrome guard... but liked the Black headstock and the sounds swede gets...Going to make mine black... My return is tracking to arrive there on the 30th.. what did you send back spuds? Let's hear from you when it finally arrives!!

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Spudman, it warms this deep frozen swede (still very cold here in sweden) to hear you talk so positive about my tone
    The b&c is a really good guitar, and I am sure that you will be satisfied with it. And yes, the mirror is perfect for getting that lipstick on straight, a real man´s guitar !

I also hear that combined with a visa (or perhaps even mastercard) it is perfect for cocaine addicts..
    I can't say that I've given up on a flanger cause I've never liked the effect either. I also can't say the same about Tremolo. I hate them both equally. - Tone2TheBone 2009

Post Thanks / Like

Lipstick? ok.. sometimes you guys worry me.... the Hair bands are gone.. you can quit wearing the lipstick now...

Post Thanks / Like

You know...it just depends on what lycra I'm wearing as to which shade of lippy I'll use. Oh my gawd! I'm laughing with tears coming out of my eyes. I do have to admit that when I got off the road the main reason I became a pro cyclist is because...doggonit, I look good in lycra. Racing is kind of like that one night out of the year that the clocks get set back and you have to play one more set after finishing the bottle last set because you forgot about the time change. Ya, racing is like the feeling the next day. Every race!

Bach to the topic.

They still haven't processed my return yet. Not too happy about it but what can ya do?
    I'm pretty anxious to get it. I'd like to say that I really need the mirror to comb my hair with but that all left with the last bad woman. Twannnggg! I'm playin and singin da blues. No guitar and no troublesome woman. Perfect.

Post Thanks / Like

Hey spud, you should be glad that you have enough hair to comb. I don´t
    I can't say that I've given up on a flanger cause I've never liked the effect either. I also can't say the same about Tremolo. I hate them both equally. - Tone2TheBone 2009

Camrose, Alberta, Canada - used to be Umea Sweden.
    Post Thanks / Like

Spudman, you are one funny dude!
    The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.
    Master Guitar Academy - I also teach via SKYPE.

Post Thanks / Like

Humor is most important. It is also a good thing to share with friends. I think the world needs more of it. We had plenty in the 80's. Why just think about how the bands looked and what they were singing about. They were pretty funny too. Not so much today.
    Maybe everyone should get a mirrored pickguard on their axe so we can all take a good look at ourselves...and lighten up. I think I'll be using mine so that I can clearly see where to apply the Rogaine.

PS. Robert - treats are on the way today.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Spuddie, I love your sense of humour - you're wacky just like me. I wish all of us from TheFret.Net could get together for a barbie and a beer one summer evening.
    The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.

Post Thanks / Like

my 7 year old daughter has lots of barbies....but i don't think she has enough for everybody : )

ww

Post Thanks / Like

Warren
    Dude, when I read your post I blew chunks out of my nose. You my friend are the funny one.

Post Thanks / Like

Warren, I knew someone was going to say something like that! We can share them barbies too, you know.

Spudman, glad I wasn't too close when the chunks started flyin!

Post Thanks / Like

Bald men and Barbies... I swear.... haha

Nelskie, Thanks for the links.. While waiting on the Tele I got a set of tuners comming and a pickguard... I really think I might be adding those tuners to the 51 if the tele does not make it here before then.. Still looking for the deal out there on the Noiseless pickups..

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast