Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Squier Standard telecaster

Post Thanks / Like

Smile Squier Standard telecaster

Hello There,

I have bought the Squier Standard telecaster in April.....I just can't stop playing with it. a real bargain !!!!!!

Camrose, Alberta, Canada - used to be Umea Sweden.
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi Christian, welcome to the Fret dot Net! I have Standard Squier Tele too, it is awesome, I know! My current Squier favourite is the '51, but the Tele is a fine one. I just need to change strings on it, and I'll start twanging on it again.

What colour is yours?

I also have a little review of the Squier Tele on my website - http://www.dolphinstreet.com/guitars/squier_telecaster.
    Last edited by Robert; September 16th, 2005 at 08:14 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Cool. Is it a maple neck or rosewood? What kind of pickups came with it?
    Guitars/Bass - MIM Fender Classic 50s Strat, MIM Fender Standard Strat, Squier Classic Vibe 50s Tele, Gibson Les Paul Studio, Epi '56 Gold Top Les Paul, Martin DSR acoustic, Sigma Martin Auditorium electric/acoustic, Squier Jazz Bass.

Amps/Cabinets/Modelers - Model 2558 50 watt Marshall Silver Anniversary Jubilee combo w/ Celestion Vintage 30s, 4x12 Marshall cabinet w/25 watt Greenback Celestions, Fender Blues Junior w/ a couple of Billm mods, Line 6 POD 2.0, Roland Micro Cube

Pedals/Effects - Cry Baby Classic Wah, Boss TU-2, Boss NS-2, Boss RC-2 Loop Station, Ross Compressor, MXR Micro Amp, Danelectro FAB Echo, Danelectro FAB Chorus, Danelectro Chicken Salad, Marshall Guv'nor Plus, Marshall Echohead, Duhvoodooman's Zonkin' Yellow Screamer, Digitech Digiverb, Digitech Bad Monkey, Dunlop Fuzz Face, Homemade Loop Bypass pedal, Duhvoodooman's Sonic Tonic (Maxon SD-9 clone +), Voodoo Labs Superfuzz

Post Thanks / Like

actually I love your site Robert and I found your site in may when I was googling the word 'squier telecaster canada' because I was looking to see if there was other owners of this faboulous guitar...And your site was the first that showed up........and just like you......I have found this telecaster suprisely amazing.

Your site is great too !!!! I also have is newborn kid and I love taking pictures with my guitars http://www.myspace.com/christiancousineau

The Squier cie make the maple fret availble to compete a solid color ....like the squier telecaster custom (black) with humbucker ....which is the same price of the standard one with a nice body finish like mine.

mine is antique burst with rosewood fretboard....I wish maple fretboard was availble with that model because it has 22 frets .....the squier '51 has 21 frets but the neck is fantastik.....next time I'll be buying two guitars. one for the body color and the other for the neck.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Christian! Yes I wish my Tele had a maple neck too. I just think they sound better - snappier sound. Great guitars for sure anyway.
    The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.
    Master Guitar Academy - I also teach via SKYPE.

Post Thanks / Like

I used to own an American Standard Telecaster. It was gorgeous and by far the easiest to play neck I've ever laid a hand on. Regrettably, I wound up selling her since I just didn't use her enough. Guitars feel naked to me without a tremolo bar. I’m not a divebomb fanatic nor do I use it as much as Jimi did, but it is an integral part of my playing style. I thought about putting a Bigsby on her, but I opted not to since I could ruin the guitar altogether.

If the Squier Tele is decent, now I might be willing to try adding a Bigsby to that. You’ve got to love great sounding affordable guitars like the Squier!

Post Thanks / Like

The Squier Tele is good, just need a better input jack and perhaps better pickups.

However, I fixed mine up yesterday - sanded and polished the frets with steel wool, changed to lighter strings and put some lemon oil on the fretboard. Dang! It sounded great today when I played it through my Vox! I'll post clips later (although I'm getting sick of hearing myself noodling around... I feel I suck so bad. I should try recording a song some day)
    The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.

Post Thanks / Like

Yes the input jack is kind of weak.....everytime I plug in I always watch if it's not too loose, however it can be replace by a better one.

When you polish you fret, are you only using steel wool?

Mine plays well but I try to lower the action and I'm still not sastified the action !

Maybe I should bring it to a repairman.

Post Thanks / Like

Mine really improved after fixing it up. I used fine sandpaper first, then 0000, the finest steel wool. In fact, I got so excited that I posted a video clip! I was using my Vox AD50VT on the Blackface setting. I've been close to replacing the pickups on this Tele, but with the right amp setting, it sounds not too bad. Check out at

http://www.dolphinstreet.com/guitars/squier_telecaster

Scroll down to October 2005 and click on the link there to play the video clip. Let me know what you think! I am using only the bridge pickup, with the tone knob rolled down slightly.
    Last edited by Robert; October 30th, 2005 at 03:00 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

thank you Robert !!!

I thought too to replace the Pick Ups but I kind got to like them !!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Christian
    thank you Robert !!!

I thought too to replace the Pick Ups but I kind got to like them !!!
    Simply changing the gauge of strings and adjusting pickup height can make a large difference in sound. I'm always playing around with pup height.

I used to be a .009 guy, but now I'm sold on .010s and .011s. A little harder to bend, but the just sound so much better to my ears.
    "It's funny the way most people love the dead. Once you are dead, you are made for life." - Jimi Hendrix

Post Thanks / Like

This past weekend I played my friend's SRV Fender Strat. He got 2 GUITARS for $600.00 from an old lady who's son needed money. One was the Fender SRV Signature model and the other was a '62 reissue Gibson SG (red). DANG!!! Both in pristine condition!!!

Anyway on the SRV the strings must have been set up exactly the way we've all read Stevie Ray liked his because the bottom (I'm not kidding you) was at LEAST the size of the small string on a bass guitar. I don't know what actual size that is...but I would say that it probably was the low E of a size 13 set!!! The A, D, G, B and E strings were also very thick. My wife asked me to play Little Wing on it since my friend was so kind enough to let me play it. Playing on such thick strings (I mean really thick here...not 11s)...made the sound solid and loud. I didn't have to try that hard to make them loud and even when I did...BAM. I could still bend the high E and B. My wife even asked me..."honey can you still bend the strings"? I said yup...a little stiffer but I can still do it. Having thick strings like that MAKES you play harder when you have to bend them. I know I said that I didn't have to try hard to play...but during bends yeah you gotta give it gas then.

I'm pretty inclined to agree that thicker strings really do improve your overall presence. Tone I'm sure...but what I did notice more than that...was how full the sound was. Fuller. Solid. Louder.
    Guitars/Bass - MIM Fender Classic 50s Strat, MIM Fender Standard Strat, Squier Classic Vibe 50s Tele, Gibson Les Paul Studio, Epi '56 Gold Top Les Paul, Martin DSR acoustic, Sigma Martin Auditorium electric/acoustic, Squier Jazz Bass.

Amps/Cabinets/Modelers - Model 2558 50 watt Marshall Silver Anniversary Jubilee combo w/ Celestion Vintage 30s, 4x12 Marshall cabinet w/25 watt Greenback Celestions, Fender Blues Junior w/ a couple of Billm mods, Line 6 POD 2.0, Roland Micro Cube

Pedals/Effects - Cry Baby Classic Wah, Boss TU-2, Boss NS-2, Boss RC-2 Loop Station, Ross Compressor, MXR Micro Amp, Danelectro FAB Echo, Danelectro FAB Chorus, Danelectro Chicken Salad, Marshall Guv'nor Plus, Marshall Echohead, Duhvoodooman's Zonkin' Yellow Screamer, Digitech Digiverb, Digitech Bad Monkey, Dunlop Fuzz Face, Homemade Loop Bypass pedal, Duhvoodooman's Sonic Tonic (Maxon SD-9 clone +), Voodoo Labs Superfuzz

Post Thanks / Like

I just don't know what happened... I went on Musiciansfriends.com the other nite and was looking to see if they had the vox da5 in stock yet (they don't even show it carried yet) and I drifted into the squier section. Since I got the Squier_51 (through Robert's advice) I have realized Squier's are darn nice guitars at great pricing.. well, before I knew it I had ordered a Squier Vintage Blonde Standard Tele and it suppose to arrive tomorrow... heck, I can't put down the Mex Strat or the Squier 51.. what the heck am I to do now with yet another comming.. sigh... and just in time for The Robert Renman's Chicken Pick'n lessons....

Jimmie Vaughan Strat , Squire 51
    Epi 56 GoldTop, SX "Vintage" Jazz Bass
    Zager 50, Guild GAD30R (Excellent)
    G-Dec 3 Thirty, Valve Junior & Cab
    Crate PowerBlock, Crate V33H
    JamVox, Studio GX With Mods/Farm 2.0.

Post Thanks / Like

Excellent choice Justaguy!
    I can't say that I've given up on a flanger cause I've never liked the effect either. I also can't say the same about Tremolo. I hate them both equally. - Tone2TheBone 2009

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Swede... I gave away 3 others I had collecting dust on the wall and seen an empty wall hanger still on the wall.. needed to do something about that and didn't want to remove it.. would have to plaster and paint..so.... my biggest thought though while waiting.. HUM... I enjoy sitting in front of this monitor... I guess it won't hum any louder then the rest of the single coils....Any one know about replacing the squier pickups for Fender Noiseless.. will they fall right in? and will it kill the twang? Any other HUM free choice's?

Post Thanks / Like

I think that the original pickups sound very good, but I have to tell you that they hum a lot. And the volume pot has this strange raspy sound when you move it. Check out the end of this sound clip (Which I have posted earlier)...
    I can't say that I've given up on a flanger cause I've never liked the effect either. I also can't say the same about Tremolo. I hate them both equally. - Tone2TheBone 2009

Post Thanks / Like

Justa - Congrats on your new Squier Tele Std. Now that you've acquired that guitar, and already have a Cyber Champ - you own the EXACT same set-up I had about a year ago - to the "T". I also swapped out the factory p'ups for Fender Vintage Noiseless models, and absolutely LOVED them. They're a straight change-out w/ the factory models. Awesome tone, too - clucky, quacky, twangly - they do it all. I even found that they had a but of "'tude" when driven! And best of all - ZERO noise!!

Anyways, I'd posted a review of that very guitar on Harmony Central about a year or so ago - it's about 1/2 to 3/4 of the way down, on the first page that comes up. Under my "Nelskie" monniker, too. Here's the link:

http://www.harmony-central.com/Guita...ecaster-1.html

I might also suggest that you consider putting some different tuners on it, as well. My playing style can be rather agressive, and I found that those stock tuners just wouldn't hang for what I liked to play. I scored a nice set of Schaller-type Fender script tuners for about $30 on Ebay. Dropped 'em in - no more tuning problems.

I've attached a couple pix of mine. Sadly, I had to sell it on Ebay earlier this month to make way for my *new* G & L ASAT Telecaster. But I dug every minute I played on that axe. Squier Std. Tellies are great guitars, and I'm sure you're gonna love yours!!

Post Thanks / Like

Wow, nice looking Tele... to bad it was not there when I impulsed bought this one.. ok, I have what you had a year ago.. now if I practice another 20 years I should be able to sound something like you to huh... Im looking forward to this one as much as the 51... and probably will put noiseless into it... I tend to sit here in front of the monitor to often while playing..

Post Thanks / Like

Nuthin' doin', Justa - merely mentioning that you have most excellent taste in gear. I liked both of those pieces of gear so much, I upgraded into the Cyber Twin, and just recently purchased a G & L Tele. Value-wise, you'll look long and hard to find a better sounding or playing combo than a Squier Tele Std. and a Fender Cyber Champ. As I mentioned in my Harmony Central review, that rig is what got me hooked on the Tele tone. And nothing brings out that lovely ring in a Tele like a Fender-made amp. I'm looking forward to hearing some clips when you get it.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast