Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I want a multi effect, but...

Post Thanks / Like

Default I want a multi effect, but...

I only want it for modulations and delays. Can anyone recommend a good sounding unit that would fit the bill? I don't mind if it has overdrives or amp sims built in as long as they can be completely switched off, not just set to "clean" or the like. A small footprint would be good for a floor unit and I suppose true bypass is too much to ask for.
    Electric: Fat strat > Korg PB > TS7 > DS1 > DD-20 > Cube 60 (Fender model)

Acoustic: Guitar > microphone > audience

Post Thanks / Like

I can't offer personal experience, but this article might help.
    Axen: Jackson DK2M, Fender Deluxe Nashville Telecaster, Reverend Warhawk 390, Taylor 914ce, ESP LTD Surveyor-414
    Amphen: Jet City JCA22H and JCA12S cab, Carvin X-60 combo, Acoustic B20
    Effecten: "Thesis 96" Overdrive/Boost (aka DVM OD2), Hardwire DL-8 Digital Delay/Looper, DigiTech Polara Reverb, DigiTech EX-7 Expression Factory and CF-7 Chorus Factory, Danelectro CF-1 Cool Cat Fuzz
    "I wish Imagine Dragons would be stuck in an Arcade Fire for an entire Vampire Weekend."--Brian Posehn

Post Thanks / Like

no real experience except with my rp250 (which i really like)....but i think it does more than you are looking for....

ww
    Quote Originally Posted by just strum
    For the record, my annoyance with Warren has a lot to do with the hissing noises he makes.
    Guitars: Gibson 1998 Les Paul Special : Peavey Predator (Early 90's Fat Strat Copy) : Ibanez GAX30TR
    Brownsville Reso - 101 Electric Reso : Fender GDO-300 Maple Quilt Top Acoustic

Amps: Fender Super Champ XD

Effects: Digitech RP250 Modeling Guitar Processor : DVM "Phased and Confused" Script Phaser Clone : Digitech Bad Monkey
    Danelectro Cool Cat Chorus : Behringer Distortion Modeler : Ernie Ball Volume Pedal : Dunlop Cry Baby Wah

Post Thanks / Like

This might fit the bill (and the wallet).

This has always looked interesting to me.

This looks kinda cool as well.

Happy hunting... hunting... hunting... hunting...
    Electrics: Hagstrom Ultra Swede (Gold Eagle Burst) Gretsch 5120 Electromatic (Orange) Custom Nashville Blackout Telecaster (Black, Stat mid/neck p'ups; Lil Puncher (Modern Vintage) bridge p'up; Wilkinson Compensated Bridge w/ 3 brass saddles, Warmoth Vintage Modern Birdseye Maple Neck) Fender MIM Stratocaster (Blue Agave, Rosewood Fretboard, Fender Tex-Mex p'ups; GFS Trem/Block Kit) Highland Spitfire (semi-hollow, flame maple top w/ bubinga inlay)
    Acoustics:Washburn D10CEQSB, Yamaha FG160E
    Bass: Westone Spectrum ST, Warwick Rockbass Corvette Basic Active
    Amps: Vox NT15H/V112NT Night Train, Peavey Bandit 112, Hartke HyDrive 210C Bass Amp, Vox DA5

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Here are two options, one more expensive and new and one older, cheaper used option, in this thread:

http://www.thefret.net/showthread.php?t=7023
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Amphs: Peavey Classic 30, '61 Fender Concert
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

love is the answer, at least for most of the questions in my heart. . .
    - j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

I'm using a Boss me-50 now due to the fact that it is one of the few that doesn't have amp or cab simulators. It can be run in manual or presets and really has some nice modulation and delays, and a compressor.
    Guitars: 2003 and 2004 American series strats, Squier Classic Vibe 50's Strat, Squier Deluxe Strat.

Amps: Line 6 Spider IV 120, Vox AD50VT 212, and Peavey Transtube Bandit 112.

Pedals: Digitech Bad Monkey.

Northern Ohio - Near Cleveland - Home of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame http://www.rockhall.com/
    Post Thanks / Like

I did bid on a few ME50 on e-bay, there are usually a number available at any time. I ended up with the RP350 because I was able to get it on e-bay new for a lot less. If you can snag an ME50, I definitely would go that route. Wingsdad has one and really likes it and I believe there are a few others besides TS and Wingsdad on here that own one.

They are a solidly built piece of equipment, so buying a used one on e-bay usually is a pretty safe purchase. I would say you are looking at $170 to $230 on e-bay. Make sure you get one with a power supply or you will have to add another $20+ to buy one.

You might also check the ME-20, but a lot of times they sell for just slightly less than the 50, so you would be better off spending the few extra for the 50.

Good luck.
    Mark
    * Loud is good, good is better!

Camrose, Alberta, Canada - used to be Umea Sweden.
    Post Thanks / Like

The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.
    Master Guitar Academy - I also teach via SKYPE.

Post Thanks / Like

I use Line 6, and for delays and modulation it is pretty decent (there is excellent control over delay, but modulation leaves a bit to be desired). The PodXT Pro is a bit expensive and has a lot of things you won't want, but I would recommend 'the bean.'

Apart from that, there would be TC Electronics rack units - they are meant to shine in the modulation areas, but slightly lacking in delay. Again, expensive with superfluous features.

The cheaper options would definitely be Digitech, Zoom, etc.

Good luck

Post Thanks / Like

Boss Gt -8 in send return of your amp for modulation effects , awesome..there s a manuel mode wich you can use as indepedant boss pedal setting..

http://www.bossus.com/gear/productde...?ProductId=720

Blazes:
    My SoundClick -- Rubber Band -- Jazz Trio

--Quebec made 1978 Norman B-30 , Martin Dc 15E , Suzuki Archtop
    -- Fender Start Reissue 57 , Ibanez AR 300 , Peavy Falcon ,Xaviere Xv600,
    -- Fender Telecaster , Charvel_Jackson , Framus Lapsteel
    --Rc boost,Ts9 ,Coolcat-ToD,GGG Fuzz Face, Boss Ce2 , Rc Booster ,Tone driver , Boss dd2 , Boss Gt8 (effects _effects loop)
    --Amp:Traynor Ycv40 wr -- Blackstar HT5-- Car :Toyota Tercel 1999..

/ `--'(
    < [] []////////|:::-)
    \_.--.(

pes_laul Guest

I had a Zoom G1X that was pretty cool.

Post Thanks / Like

For multi effects , I think the Zoom pedals are hard to beat.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for all the tips. I'm coming round to the Zoom G2 for size and usefulness although the Digitech RP500 is looking useful due to the global amp/cabinet bypass function. What puts me off the Digitechs is when I read the words "behind the scenes" repeatedly in the manuals. I'm still looking.
    Electric: Fat strat > Korg PB > TS7 > DS1 > DD-20 > Cube 60 (Fender model)

Acoustic: Guitar > microphone > audience

Post Thanks / Like

I have a Zoom G1 : that I use in my pedal chain after external drive/distortion, but I only use the G1 for delays, choruses, eq, gate, and compression. It works and sounds incredible for a digital box. And it only cost me $59.00 new.
    Guitars: Ibanez SCA220BP, Modded Squier Bullet Strat, Ibanez ARX100CA

Amps:
    G-DEC 30

Videos/messing around with gear:
    http://www.youtube.com/wwwdwhite
    My Music:
    http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page...?bandID=498962

Post Thanks / Like

One of the things that really sold me about the Boss ME-50 was the simplicity in use...it can be run on manual, or you can store patches in it as well. It was also one of the few multi-effects pedals I looked at that didn't have amp simulators or cabinet simulators. I know you can edit those out on the other multi-effects units, but again, I like the simplicity.
    Guitars: 2003 and 2004 American series strats, Squier Classic Vibe 50's Strat, Squier Deluxe Strat.

Amps: Line 6 Spider IV 120, Vox AD50VT 212, and Peavey Transtube Bandit 112.

Pedals: Digitech Bad Monkey.

Post Thanks / Like

I used to use the Lexicon back in the 80s, when 19" rigs were in.
    Later on I had a Rocktrin Intellifex and a Rocktron Piranha preamp. Good stuff.

I was also looking for multi effect options, the Digitech stuff seems to be good, but also the the VOX Tonelab sounds good to me.
    "A lot of people in the industry want to blame downloading for the state of the business. But I think if most music wasn't shit to begin with people wouldn't be downloading it for free," - Corey Taylor (Slipknot)

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Hey Jimi,

check out the price drop on the tonelab LE here: http://www.dv247.com/invt/43834/

(you may need to select Euro as the currency on the top)

This looks like a great deal to me @ €226. I had been looking at the Boss GT10 and the Pod X3 both are going for about €450 in Europe. I'm seriously tempted, the tonelab gets really great reviews. The only thing holding me back is that from what I read the tonelab sounds best direct to a PA while the Boss GT-10 does a great job with an amp. I'm really looking for a multiFX for play through an amp.

PS - I'd also endorse the Zoom G series for anyone on a budget, I'm just thinking of of a tonelab for the extra options and and flexibility etc.
    - Lev

Main Guitars: Fender US Deluxe HSS Strat, PRS SE C24, Fender Baja Tele
    Bass Guitar: Squier VM Jaguar Special
    Main Amp: Vox AC15
    Main Effects: Digitech EXP-7, Line6 M5, Soul Food, Sub n UP, Flashback, Polara Verb
    Vids: www.youtube.com/levguitar

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lev
    Hey Jimi,

check out the price drop on the tonelab LE here: http://www.dv247.com/invt/43834/

(you may need to select Euro as the currency on the top)

This looks like a great deal to me @ €226. I had been looking at the Boss GT10 and the Pod X3 both are going for about €450 in Europe. I'm seriously tempted, the tonelab gets really great reviews. The only thing holding me back is that from what I read the tonelab sounds best direct to a PA while the Boss GT-10 does a great job with an amp. I'm really looking for a multiFX for play through an amp.

PS - I'd also endorse the Zoom G series for anyone on a budget, I'm just thinking of of a tonelab for the extra options and and flexibility etc.
    Thanks for the info my friend! That's quite a good EURO price, yeah!
    "A lot of people in the industry want to blame downloading for the state of the business. But I think if most music wasn't shit to begin with people wouldn't be downloading it for free," - Corey Taylor (Slipknot)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TS808
    One of the things that really sold me about the Boss ME-50 was the simplicity in use...it can be run on manual, or you can store patches in it as well. It was also one of the few multi-effects pedals I looked at that didn't have amp simulators or cabinet simulators. I know you can edit those out on the other multi-effects units, but again, I like the simplicity.
    Looking at this to cure a new case of GAS. Haven't use one before, so wondering why the drawback to amp and cab simulators? Just bad sounds? Anyone else using this?
    helliott in Hamilton
    Guitars -- 2 PRS CE 24s 85/15 pups, PRS semi-hollow CE 22, Fender Baja Telecaster; Gibson Les Paul Standard; 80s Strat updated with custom 69 pups, Anniversary Strat with Fat 50s, Epiphone Sheraton re-issue; Yamaha 5-string bass; Yamaha TBS 6 and 12 string acoustics,Takamine acoustic, Fender nylon string acoustic
    Amps -- Mesa Boogie Lone Star; Boss Katana 100, Peavey Blueamaster 2x10, Line 6 Helix
    Pedals etc: Mosfet Full Drive 2; Ibanez Tube Screamer; Fairfield Barbershop OD, Diamond Compressor; Voodo Sparkledrive, Boss Digital Delay DD7; Boss TU2 Chromatic Tuner; Cry Baby wah

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast