Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Yet another 10 year old that plays better than me

Post Thanks / Like

Default Yet another 10 year old that plays better than me

How do they find the time to get this good at this age ?
    still
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L4CR3...ofyoutube.com/
    To Old To Die Young
    Epi Les Paul
    Vox Valvetronix AD 100 vt

Northern Ohio - Near Cleveland - Home of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame http://www.rockhall.com/
    Post Thanks / Like

I've come to accept these things and do not search for an explanation, reason, or cause anymore.

One of my last conclusions as to why these things happen - their youth has no fear of breaking anything (learning the computer philosophy), there mind and hands have been trained from an early age of using video controls that the left and right hands act very independently from each other, and I thought the videos were doctored up videos until I saw these little humans performing at the same level where I take lessons.

And like you, I finally was left with only one response -

Slowhand, you selected a nice video to display the talent of the little people.
    Mark
    * Loud is good, good is better!

Post Thanks / Like

Way to go, kiddo. I had to take some time and check out his other videos, too. Little dude can tear it up. Wish I could do some of that stuff. :

Post Thanks / Like

the kid can definitely play....

it's funny....when i go for my guitar lessons the student before me is about 14 and the one after me looks to be about 12....

there combined age is still almost 20 years younger than me!! :

ww
    Quote Originally Posted by just strum
    For the record, my annoyance with Warren has a lot to do with the hissing noises he makes.
    Guitars: Gibson 1998 Les Paul Special : Peavey Predator (Early 90's Fat Strat Copy) : Ibanez GAX30TR
    Brownsville Reso - 101 Electric Reso : Fender GDO-300 Maple Quilt Top Acoustic

Amps: Fender Super Champ XD

Effects: Digitech RP250 Modeling Guitar Processor : DVM "Phased and Confused" Script Phaser Clone : Digitech Bad Monkey
    Danelectro Cool Cat Chorus : Behringer Distortion Modeler : Ernie Ball Volume Pedal : Dunlop Cry Baby Wah

Post Thanks / Like

WOW! I have no words to say after watching those videos.
    Guitars:

Electric: Washburn HB-30, Squier Tele Custom Deluxe, Jay Turser Strat.
    Acoustic: Seagull S6.

AMPs: VOX AD30VT, Peavey Envoy 110.

Modelers: V-AMP 2, Digitech RP-100A.

Pedals: Boss RC-2 Loop Station, Boss CE-5 Chorus Ensemble, Digitech Bad Monkey, Ibanez DE7 Delay/Echo, DOD VFX40B 7-Band Graphic EQ, Ibanez CS-5 Super Chorus.

Post Thanks / Like

Amazing!

pes_laul Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Slowhand
    How do they find the time to get this good at this age ?
    still
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L4CR3...ofyoutube.com/
    the reason us kids can get so good is cuz we have all the time in the world-no jobs, no family, no bills you name it and those people who are really serious about it will play for hours at a time.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by pes_laul
    the reason us kids can get so good is cuz we have all the time in the world-no jobs, no family, no bills you name it and those people who are really serious about it will play for hours at a time.
    good points kris...plus us old farts just move slower....including our fingers and our brains!!

ww
    For the record, my annoyance with Warren has a lot to do with the hissing noises he makes.
    Guitars: Gibson 1998 Les Paul Special : Peavey Predator (Early 90's Fat Strat Copy) : Ibanez GAX30TR

Effects: Digitech RP250 Modeling Guitar Processor : DVM "Phased and Confused" Script Phaser Clone : Digitech Bad Monkey
    Danelectro Cool Cat Chorus : Behringer Distortion Modeler : Ernie Ball Volume Pedal : Dunlop Cry Baby Wah

Northern Ohio - Near Cleveland - Home of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame http://www.rockhall.com/
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by warren0728
    good points kris...plus us old farts just move slower....including our fingers and our brains!!

ww

I think Kris's point is a good one. But I have a question for you Warren - now that you are taking lessons have you found that the fingers are moving faster? I noticed it about a week ago, I think it's a case of realizing how it all comes together and the ears are becoming more in tune with the notes.

Or then it could be some of the medication us old people have to take.
    Mark

Post Thanks / Like

But I have a question for you Warren - now that you are taking lessons have you found that the fingers are moving faster? I noticed it about a week ago, I think it's a case of realizing how it all comes together and the ears are becoming more in tune with the notes.

Or then it could be some of the medication us old people have to take.
    a little....but i'm still pretty slow (lucky for me i like the old slow blues ballads)....truthfully i have not been practicing as much as i should....it's been hectic around here and i have ben spending a lot of time looking at used cars (was time to replace my 1994 civic with 210,000 miles on it!)

i can definitely tell a difference in my "ear" though....i can tell immediately if i hit a wrong note or start playing in the wrong key....

i'll have to look into that medication thing!!

ww

Post Thanks / Like

The child in the video has extraordinary ability and feel. Great playing. However, he also has something most kids his age don't have - an attention span long enough to learn the concepts that he's been taught.
    Guitars:
    Fender 2006 MIM Fender Stratocaster HSS in 3TS
    Ibanez RG 570 with a bridge Invader
    ESP M II Deluxe with a Tune-o-Matic bridge
    Eleanor, the magical, mystical Road Worn wonder Tele
    Blackstar HT Club 40

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by warren0728
    a little....but i'm still pretty slow (lucky for me i like the old slow blues ballads)....truthfully i have not been practicing as much as i should....it's been hectic around here and i have ben spending a lot of time looking at used cars (was time to replace my 1994 civic with 210,000 miles on it!)

i can definitely tell a difference in my "ear" though....i can tell immediately if i hit a wrong note or start playing in the wrong key....

i'll have to look into that medication thing!!

ww
    I think part of it is also the increase in confidence. I'm like you, I like the slow blues. So maybe as I get better I'm playing the songs too fast.
    Mark

Post Thanks / Like

This boy is an impressive guitar player. I found many hot young players to be only technically good, but lack feel to their music; he absolutely plays with feel. He is very good to listen to and I'm very impressed.

Post Thanks / Like

I've decide now that I SUCK. I just watched Blackbird.

When he discovers women and booze he'll come down to our level for sure.

"No Tele For you." - The Tele Nazi

Ha! Tele-ish now inbound.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Spudman
    I've decide now that I SUCK. I just watched Blackbird.

When he discovers women and booze he'll come down to our level for sure.
    Mark

Post Thanks / Like

Right, there might a more complex reason for this little chappie being able to play as he does. Pressure from parents. Simple. He is their outlet for the desires they had as a kid when their parents made them act out their desires and so on. Now, I'm not trying to discriminate, but I would actually wager this kid being from China (not just because he's Chinese) and if he is that means he's an only child and his parents have a sense of duty in turning him into a money-making machine. Virtuosic playing among the adolescent age group is, after all, not entirely uncommon in China. But think about it, this kid is 10 and is learning and playing songs across a wide range of music. I think someone might be telling him what to play. Notice how most of the songs he plays were popular in the 80's? That's when this kid's parents would have been teenagers (most likely).

Or maybe I'm just jealous. . . Conspiracy theories are fun, though, aren't they?

Post Thanks / Like

I forgot to mention that if his abilities are due to the influence his parents has on him, then the moral question of whether these are or aren't his sincere expressions are under scrutiny. Does he really wanna be there playing? Or is he just doing the only thing he knows how to do? Has he ever eaten leaves off of trees or grazed his knees or whittled a sculpture out of wood like all the other 10 year old boys? I doubt it.

Post Thanks / Like

Wonder where he learned these arrangements? If it turns out he also arranged this stuff as well as played it like this, I will be selling very nice guitars at a low price.
    helliott in Hamilton
    Guitars -- 2 PRS CE 24s 85/15 pups, PRS semi-hollow CE 22, Fender Baja Telecaster; Gibson Les Paul Standard; 80s Strat updated with custom 69 pups, Anniversary Strat with Fat 50s, Epiphone Sheraton re-issue; Yamaha 5-string bass; Yamaha TBS 6 and 12 string acoustics,Takamine acoustic, Fender nylon string acoustic
    Amps -- Mesa Boogie Lone Star; Boss Katana 100, Peavey Blueamaster 2x10, Line 6 Helix
    Pedals etc: Mosfet Full Drive 2; Ibanez Tube Screamer; Fairfield Barbershop OD, Diamond Compressor; Voodo Sparkledrive, Boss Digital Delay DD7; Boss TU2 Chromatic Tuner; Cry Baby wah

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by helliott
    Wonder where he learned these arrangements? If it turns out he also arranged this stuff as well as played it like this, I will be selling very nice guitars at a low price.
    Not a chance Helliot! Playing guitar is very similar to Cross Country running... everybody goes at their own pace, and the only goal is improve on your previous best.

Man... you're already past the halfway mark, and you're not even sweating!
    Gearlist:
    Electric: Ibanez 'AS103', Fender Dlx Nash Pwr Tele, Fender Squier '62 JV Strat, Squier '51, Squier 60's Classic Vibe Strat, Epi Elite LP Studio, Hagstrom Swede Acoustic: Larrivee LV-03RE, A&L AMI, Yamaha FG340-T Bass: Yamaha BB 450 Amps: Roland JC-120, JC-50, Peavey Classic 30, Fender Super Champ XD Pedals: Marshall Guv'nor Plus, Danelectro Cool Cat Drive, Transparent Overdrive, Digitech Digiverb, Bad Monkey, Ibanez TS-9, Boss AC-2, CE-5, CS-2, DD-3, DF-2, DS-1, FV-100, GE-7, OC-2, PSM-5, SD-1, TU-2, DVM~BYOC 'Lush Puppy' Chorus

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast