Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Phase of middle pickup.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Phase of middle pickup.

What are fretters preferences for the middle pickup? In phase or out of phase with the neck & bridge. Spudman? The one on my SD is wired out of phase.

Post Thanks / Like

My middle pup is reverse wound. In positions 2 and 4 on my Strat I get hum cancelling which is handy at times. I get plenty of good quack in those positions too so I'm happy. Middle by itself sounds pretty good on a few things.
    Guitars/Bass - MIM Fender Classic 50s Strat, MIM Fender Standard Strat, Squier Classic Vibe 50s Tele, Gibson Les Paul Studio, Epi '56 Gold Top Les Paul, Martin DSR acoustic, Sigma Martin Auditorium electric/acoustic, Squier Jazz Bass.

Amps/Cabinets/Modelers - Model 2558 50 watt Marshall Silver Anniversary Jubilee combo w/ Celestion Vintage 30s, 4x12 Marshall cabinet w/25 watt Greenback Celestions, Fender Blues Junior w/ a couple of Billm mods, Line 6 POD 2.0, Roland Micro Cube

Pedals/Effects - Cry Baby Classic Wah, Boss TU-2, Boss NS-2, Boss RC-2 Loop Station, Ross Compressor, MXR Micro Amp, Danelectro FAB Echo, Danelectro FAB Chorus, Danelectro Chicken Salad, Marshall Guv'nor Plus, Marshall Echohead, Duhvoodooman's Zonkin' Yellow Screamer, Digitech Digiverb, Digitech Bad Monkey, Dunlop Fuzz Face, Homemade Loop Bypass pedal, Duhvoodooman's Sonic Tonic (Maxon SD-9 clone +), Voodoo Labs Superfuzz

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with Tone. Hum cancelling being the highest preference.
    Guitars:

Electric: Washburn HB-30, Squier Tele Custom Deluxe, Jay Turser Strat.
    Acoustic: Seagull S6.

AMPs: VOX AD30VT, Peavey Envoy 110.

Modelers: V-AMP 2, Digitech RP-100A.

Pedals: Boss RC-2 Loop Station, Boss CE-5 Chorus Ensemble, Digitech Bad Monkey, Ibanez DE7 Delay/Echo, DOD VFX40B 7-Band Graphic EQ, Ibanez CS-5 Super Chorus.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tone2thebone
    My middle pup is reverse wound. In positions 2 and 4 on my Strat I get hum cancelling which is handy at times. I get plenty of good quack in those positions too so I'm happy. Middle by itself sounds pretty good on a few things.
    So when do you use the middle pickup alone?

Post Thanks / Like

I use the middle pickup when I get tired of the sounds from the other positions. hahahaha

I love the sound of the neck pickup alone. Sometimes I like position 4 (neck and middle) but only when it's clean. Neck sounds good clean or dirty. Middle does too...but when you play the quack positions dirty I think you lose a little definition in the higher notes. But when playing a shuffle rhythm or something in both neck/middle or middle/bridge it sounds cool. Just depends.
    Guitars/Bass - MIM Fender Classic 50s Strat, MIM Fender Standard Strat, Squier Classic Vibe 50s Tele, Gibson Les Paul Studio, Epi '56 Gold Top Les Paul, Martin DSR acoustic, Sigma Martin Auditorium electric/acoustic, Squier Jazz Bass.

Amps/Cabinets/Modelers - Model 2558 50 watt Marshall Silver Anniversary Jubilee combo w/ Celestion Vintage 30s, 4x12 Marshall cabinet w/25 watt Greenback Celestions, Fender Blues Junior w/ a couple of Billm mods, Line 6 POD 2.0, Roland Micro Cube

Pedals/Effects - Cry Baby Classic Wah, Boss TU-2, Boss NS-2, Boss RC-2 Loop Station, Ross Compressor, MXR Micro Amp, Danelectro FAB Echo, Danelectro FAB Chorus, Danelectro Chicken Salad, Marshall Guv'nor Plus, Marshall Echohead, Duhvoodooman's Zonkin' Yellow Screamer, Digitech Digiverb, Digitech Bad Monkey, Dunlop Fuzz Face, Homemade Loop Bypass pedal, Duhvoodooman's Sonic Tonic (Maxon SD-9 clone +), Voodoo Labs Superfuzz

Post Thanks / Like

You can use it anytime you wish. Just reach down and slide the selector switch 2 places down from the neck pick-up position. At times you can go down 2 more places and chose the bridge pick-up. That is an awesome sound for screaming solos.
    Guitars:

Pedals: Boss RC-2 Loop Station, Boss CE-5 Chorus Ensemble, Digitech Bad Monkey, Ibanez DE7 Delay/Echo, DOD VFX40B 7-Band Graphic EQ, Ibanez CS-5 Super Chorus.

Post Thanks / Like

How does one maximize the quack? I have been fiddling with the heights on my pickups and notice the quack is sometimes more pronounced and sometimes less so, but I've yet to figure out the underlying concept. I once ran acroos a discussion of this sort on the net, but I cannot seem to find it again.

BTW, I was in a guitar store today and played an EC Strat through a Badcat Cub II, Donald was in da house!

Post Thanks / Like

Tot
    Some pickups have the ability to quack better than others. Maybe yours don't do it that well? I found on an older Peavey Predator Plus that I had I couldn't get the quack thing to happen.

"No Tele For you." - The Tele Nazi

Ha! Tele-ish now inbound.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Spudman
    Tot
    Some pickups have the ability to quack better than others. Maybe yours don't do it that well? I found on an older Peavey Predator Plus that I had I couldn't get the quack thing to happen.
    I can get it to quack, but I'm sure that better pups would help. What woud be your suggestion? Fralins?

Post Thanks / Like

I think if you raise the bridge and lower the middle pups you will get more quack. That is what I follow and have a good quack.
    Guitars:

Post Thanks / Like

What Tim said. That is how my middle pickup is setup and I notice more quack that way. The middle pup is slightly lower than both the neck and bridge. Total quackage.

Post Thanks / Like

Tone – Good to see we agree on this one. Something to do with the angle of the dangle which is directly proportional to the mass ….
    Guitars:

Post Thanks / Like

uhuh....then squared and times pi.

Post Thanks / Like

I know one strat guy here who has disconnected his middle pup and he gets very authentic tele sound from the middle position. I think it is two texas specials.
    I can't say that I've given up on a flanger cause I've never liked the effect either. I also can't say the same about Tremolo. I hate them both equally. - Tone2TheBone 2009

Post Thanks / Like

I'd just get a Tele to do that. I love my middle.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tone2thebone
    What Tim said. That is how my middle pickup is setup and I notice more quack that way. The middle pup is slightly lower than both the neck and bridge. Total quackage.
    That's intriguing. I have the middle set highr than the neck or bridge so that
    there isn't a volume drop change from neck to neck/middle to neck/bridge to bridge. I'll lower the middle and see what happens.

Post Thanks / Like

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by tot_Ou_tard
    How does one maximize the quack?
    Buy a duck, and have the duck play the guitar!

Sorry Tot, couldn't resist!!!

EDIT: In fact, if you get that AFLACK duck, you'll be guaranteed a lot of Quack!
    Last edited by r_a_smith3530; April 26th, 2006 at 10:35 PM. Reason: Additional smartass remarks!
    Rob Smith
    I AM the bass player!

GUITARS: '93 ZON Sonus 4, '85 G&L L-2000 (Mahogany), '05 Schecter Stiletto Custom 4, '06 SX SJB-62MG (Fretless), '07 Squier Bronco (project), '06 Ibanez AEB10E-BK acoustic bass, '70s Epiphone OO-sized acoustic, '94 Peavey Reactor (extreme makeover edition)

AMPS: '03 Ampeg BA115 bass combo, '86 Peavey MkIV Series 400 bass head, SWR Workingman's cabs, 2x10" & 1x15", '00 Peavey Micro Bass

Post Thanks / Like

Quack! Quack!
    Guitars:

Post Thanks / Like

you guys quack me up....even if the jokes are reduckulous!

ww
    Quote Originally Posted by just strum
    For the record, my annoyance with Warren has a lot to do with the hissing noises he makes.
    Guitars: Gibson 1998 Les Paul Special : Peavey Predator (Early 90's Fat Strat Copy) : Ibanez GAX30TR
    Brownsville Reso - 101 Electric Reso : Fender GDO-300 Maple Quilt Top Acoustic

Amps: Fender Super Champ XD

Effects: Digitech RP250 Modeling Guitar Processor : DVM "Phased and Confused" Script Phaser Clone : Digitech Bad Monkey
    Danelectro Cool Cat Chorus : Behringer Distortion Modeler : Ernie Ball Volume Pedal : Dunlop Cry Baby Wah

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast