Thread: Wikipedia and guitar gear

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up Wikipedia and guitar gear

I love wikipedia, the online contributor-written encyclopedia, though of course one does have to be careful about how authoritative it is, due to the way it's compiled /written.

Here's my discussion question: Have you ever been tempted to, or actually contributed to, a wikipedia article about guitar gear?

I have done so on several occasions. For example, most of the "Gibson Les Paul Doublecut" entry was written by me. This morning I added a paragraph to the "Vox" article, specifically about the Vox Super Beatle model amp.

Have you done this? If you haven't, and have some knowledge about something that hasn't been fleshed out on wikipedia, take some time and add something to an article!

Discuss!

Post Thanks / Like

I haven`t but I should. I`ve seen some mistakes on the Telecaster entry. Well, the portuguese version at least... like, they don`t say nothing about the Broadcaster being originally called "Dual Esquire" for the 2 pickups Esquire version and then "Broadcaster", before Gretsch called their attention and changing their name to Telecaster by the summer of 1951.. these kind of things! 8)

Post Thanks / Like

I love wikipedia and use it almost every day. I havent contributed much to the site myself but I do appriciate those that spend all that time writing high quality articles such as the one on Gibson LP double cuts .
    I can't say that I've given up on a flanger cause I've never liked the effect either. I also can't say the same about Tremolo. I hate them both equally. - Tone2TheBone 2009

Post Thanks / Like

I dunno Swede I think you should append some of those kidney pie articles wot! hahaha
    Guitars/Bass - MIM Fender Classic 50s Strat, MIM Fender Standard Strat, Squier Classic Vibe 50s Tele, Gibson Les Paul Studio, Epi '56 Gold Top Les Paul, Martin DSR acoustic, Sigma Martin Auditorium electric/acoustic, Squier Jazz Bass.

Amps/Cabinets/Modelers - Model 2558 50 watt Marshall Silver Anniversary Jubilee combo w/ Celestion Vintage 30s, 4x12 Marshall cabinet w/25 watt Greenback Celestions, Fender Blues Junior w/ a couple of Billm mods, Line 6 POD 2.0, Roland Micro Cube

Pedals/Effects - Cry Baby Classic Wah, Boss TU-2, Boss NS-2, Boss RC-2 Loop Station, Ross Compressor, MXR Micro Amp, Danelectro FAB Echo, Danelectro FAB Chorus, Danelectro Chicken Salad, Marshall Guv'nor Plus, Marshall Echohead, Duhvoodooman's Zonkin' Yellow Screamer, Digitech Digiverb, Digitech Bad Monkey, Dunlop Fuzz Face, Homemade Loop Bypass pedal, Duhvoodooman's Sonic Tonic (Maxon SD-9 clone +), Voodoo Labs Superfuzz

Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by SuperSwede
    I love wikipedia and use it almost every day. I havent contributed much to the site myself but I do appriciate those that spend all that time writing high quality articles such as the one on Gibson LP double cuts .
    Haha, I doubt anyone's ever seen the LP Doublecut article except myself and whatever other contributor(s) there have been to it!

Post Thanks / Like

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gibson_Les_Paul_Doublecut

You mean that one? I read it after your post!

I´m thinking of writing something in this article since it is sadly short:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tech_21
    I can't say that I've given up on a flanger cause I've never liked the effect either. I also can't say the same about Tremolo. I hate them both equally. - Tone2TheBone 2009

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gibson_Les_Paul_Doublecut

You mean that one? I read it after your post!
    Haha, well now 5 people have!

I´m thinking of writing something in this article since it is sadly short:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tech_21
    That's a good candidate. You could add the stock amp model settings on the Sansamp or the guitar amps, note the wattage, and the speaker compliment for a start.