Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968
My Koa Strat: Together again...
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My Koa Strat: Together again...

Post Thanks / Like

Default My Koa Strat: Together again...

Well, I've finally finished re-doing my Koa Strat. Both the body and the neck are from Warmoth. The neck is a 10-16" radius, maple/rosewood, and the body is a multi-piece solid Koa with a bookmatched figured Koa top. The tuning keys are Sperzels, the pickups Kinman AVN Blues. I had originally finished this guitar in an oil finish, and it had a two-point Wilkinson tremolo with a cast trem block. The oil finish didn't do the beautiul wood justice, with the open grain of the wood showing, and the less than glossy finish look. The tone with the cast trem bloc left much to be desired as well.

So, I stripped the finish, pulled the two bridge inserts from the body, and plugged them with hardwood dowels. I then filled the wood grain, applied sander sealer, and shot ten coats of clear lacquer on the body. The neck also had an oil finish over the plain, white colored maple. I stripped it down, and re-finished it in a neck amber and clear coats. Finally, I added the abalone knobs, and the gold string trees to the rest of the hardware. The lighting played a few tricks with the pictures I took. The amber on the neck really has a more reddish tone to it than the orange look in the pics:

Camrose, Alberta, Canada - used to be Umea Sweden.
    Post Thanks / Like

Holy Mother of Strats! I am awestruck by that beauty! I want to play it!
    The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.
    Master Guitar Academy - I also teach via SKYPE.

Post Thanks / Like

Gawd, Blooz... That strat is gorgeous. If it plays half as good as it looks then that's one guitar to never sell.
    Guitars:
    Fender 2006 MIM Fender Stratocaster HSS in 3TS
    Ibanez RG 570 with a bridge Invader
    ESP M II Deluxe with a Tune-o-Matic bridge
    Eleanor, the magical, mystical Road Worn wonder Tele
    Blackstar HT Club 40

Northern Ohio - Near Cleveland - Home of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame http://www.rockhall.com/
    Post Thanks / Like

Holy

- look at that thing, she's a beautiful guitar!!!
    Mark
    * Loud is good, good is better!

Post Thanks / Like

Wow Blooz! Just wow! I'm speechless . . . and that almost never happens.
    Guitars and other stringed instruments: Washburn D10S, Washburn EA52SWCE, Washburn Cumberland J28SDL, Washburn D46S12, D'Aquisto Centura, Rover RM-50B Mando

Amps and Cabs: Behringer AT108, Firefly Tube Amph, Blackheart Little Giant BH5H, Shiner's Custom Cab v.1.0

". . . because without beer, things do not seem to go as well . . ." Brother Epp, Capuchin Monastery, Munjor, Kansas 1902

Post Thanks / Like

She's gorgeous Blooz

Nice job with all the mods

GG
    Guitars: Washburn D10S, Washburn J28SDL, Washburn D56SW, Washburn F52SW, Washburn WI67PRO, Squire Standard Strat, Squire Tele Custom II, Squire '51, Agile AL-3100, Switch Wild IV Signature, Squire Classic Vibe 50's Tele

Amps: Vox AD30VT, Epiphone VJ Combo, Crate Palomino V8, Vox DA5

Pedals: Digitech Bad Monkey, Boss Blues Driver, Danelectro: PB&J Delay, Tuna Melt Tremolo, Chicken Salad Vibrato

Post Thanks / Like

That is one of the most Beautiful Strats that I've ever seen Blooz.You have done a Fantastic job on that one.Great work my friend!!:

Guitars: 99 Gibson ES-335,1985 Gibson Les Paul 59 Reissue,Schecter C1 Artist,Squire 51,Peavey Generation Triple/single EX,Fender Deluxe Fat Strat, Cortez Acoustic,Epiphone Acoustic.

Effects: Arion SCH-1 Chorus,Boss BD2,Bad Monkey,Boss DD3 Delay,Boss GE-7 EQ ,Arion SOD-1 overdrive,TC Electronic Nova Repeater Delay,Ibanez Tone-Lok DE7 Delay/Echo.

Amps: B52 AT-212 100watt all Tube ,FMJ SS(being restored),1=Epiphone Valve Junior Head and 2 matching Cabs, Hughes& Kettner Edition Blue 15DFX, Crate V18 112,Fender Super Champ XD,Fender 25R Frontman Series II.

Post Thanks / Like

oh man...that's a keeper! nice job!

ww
    Quote Originally Posted by just strum
    For the record, my annoyance with Warren has a lot to do with the hissing noises he makes.
    Guitars: Gibson 1998 Les Paul Special : Peavey Predator (Early 90's Fat Strat Copy) : Ibanez GAX30TR
    Brownsville Reso - 101 Electric Reso : Fender GDO-300 Maple Quilt Top Acoustic

Amps: Fender Super Champ XD

Effects: Digitech RP250 Modeling Guitar Processor : DVM "Phased and Confused" Script Phaser Clone : Digitech Bad Monkey
    Danelectro Cool Cat Chorus : Behringer Distortion Modeler : Ernie Ball Volume Pedal : Dunlop Cry Baby Wah

Post Thanks / Like

That is one jaw-droppingly beautiful strat!!!:

One question...about the fretboard radius: When you say 10-16" do you mean 10 to 16 inches (somewhere in the middle) or do you mean 10 and 1/16"...Or something else altogether? :

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rabies
    One question...about the fretboard radius: When you say 10-16" do you mean 10 to 16 inches (somewhere in the middle) or do you mean 10 and 1/16"...Or something else altogether? :
    It's a compound radius. At the first fret it's 10". By the time you get towards the 22nd it's 16".
    Axen: Jackson DK2M, Fender Deluxe Nashville Telecaster, Reverend Warhawk 390, Taylor 914ce, ESP LTD Surveyor-414
    Amphen: Jet City JCA22H and JCA12S cab, Carvin X-60 combo, Acoustic B20
    Effecten: "Thesis 96" Overdrive/Boost (aka DVM OD2), Hardwire DL-8 Digital Delay/Looper, DigiTech Polara Reverb, DigiTech EX-7 Expression Factory and CF-7 Chorus Factory, Danelectro CF-1 Cool Cat Fuzz
    "I wish Imagine Dragons would be stuck in an Arcade Fire for an entire Vampire Weekend."--Brian Posehn

Post Thanks / Like

Blooz Blooz Blooz...... That is the nicest Strat I have ever seen and probably will ever see. Absolutely exquisite beyond words

I am curious where does the Koa come in in tone? What would it be like? Is it hard like walnut or harder? Is it Somewhat like mahogany? Just curious, I am planning a build down the road but not a Strat.

M29

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by marnold
    It's a compound radius. At the first fret it's 10". By the time you get towards the 22nd it's 16".
    Ah. Thanks for the info Marnold. I wish every guitar had that same radius scheme. For the folks that play 7.5"s I have no idea how you can dig it.

I used to have a Tele Special FMT. It had 15" all across. I dug it up high, but wished it was a little curvier down low. 10-16" sounds awesome to me. :

Post Thanks / Like

Holy of all things everything.. ya. WOW.. speechless..
    Blooz, that is truly beyond words. Exquisite, I have never used that word before.

Post Thanks / Like

Like everyone else prior said... :

Beautiful
    Last edited by Algonquin; May 17th, 2008 at 05:16 PM.
    Gearlist:
    Electric: Ibanez 'AS103', Fender Dlx Nash Pwr Tele, Fender Squier '62 JV Strat, Squier '51, Squier 60's Classic Vibe Strat, Epi Elite LP Studio, Hagstrom Swede Acoustic: Larrivee LV-03RE, A&L AMI, Yamaha FG340-T Bass: Yamaha BB 450 Amps: Roland JC-120, JC-50, Peavey Classic 30, Fender Super Champ XD Pedals: Marshall Guv'nor Plus, Danelectro Cool Cat Drive, Transparent Overdrive, Digitech Digiverb, Bad Monkey, Ibanez TS-9, Boss AC-2, CE-5, CS-2, DD-3, DF-2, DS-1, FV-100, GE-7, OC-2, PSM-5, SD-1, TU-2, DVM~BYOC 'Lush Puppy' Chorus

Post Thanks / Like

You, sir, are an ARTIST, and that is a MASTERPIECE! : : :
    DVM's Ever-Expanding Gear List:

Guitars - W-A-A-A-Y-Y too many to list. Check 'em all out HERE

Amps & Cabs - "Kap'n Kerrang-aroo" BYOC 18W TMB kit amp head; Mojave Coyote head; Fender Hot Rod Deluxe Lacquered Tweed Ltd. Ed.; Allen Sweet Spot kit amp; BYOC Tweed Royal kit amp; Epiphone Valve Jr. combo + mods; Drive 2x12 cab / Celestion G12M Greenback + G12H30; AB Custom Audio 1x12 cab / Celestion Alnico Blue

Pedals/Effects - ZILLIONS, including DVM's Home-built Pedals - See some HERE and HERE, TOO!

DVM's Gear Photos
    Visit MY WEBSITE!

Post Thanks / Like

Thats the best looking Strat I have ever seen . Its too good to play , I think Warmonth should buy it off you & display it as what can be done .
    Again I am lost for words on it
    Bass a natural finish Jazz bass with a SX rosewood neck with white block inlay GFS Jazz PUPS Suzuki clasical guitar Behringer BX1800 amp
    Guitar (sons) Epiphone SG310 Epiphone LP junior Takamine 836D Chrous , wah volume , echo , overdrive pedals Ashton 80 watt amp

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rabies
    I used to have a Tele Special FMT. It had 15" all across. I dug it up high, but wished it was a little curvier down low. 10-16" sounds awesome to me. :
    My Model 7 was a compound radius but not typical Jackson/Charvel style. Most JC guitars have the 10-16 compound. Mine was something around a 12-14. Kinda weird.

Forgot to mention before, I'm not the hugest fan of amber tint necks, but that body is absolutely to die for. (Honestly, honey, I was talking about a guitar!)
    Axen: Jackson DK2M, Fender Deluxe Nashville Telecaster, Reverend Warhawk 390, Taylor 914ce, ESP LTD Surveyor-414
    Amphen: Jet City JCA22H and JCA12S cab, Carvin X-60 combo, Acoustic B20
    Effecten: "Thesis 96" Overdrive/Boost (aka DVM OD2), Hardwire DL-8 Digital Delay/Looper, DigiTech Polara Reverb, DigiTech EX-7 Expression Factory and CF-7 Chorus Factory, Danelectro CF-1 Cool Cat Fuzz
    "I wish Imagine Dragons would be stuck in an Arcade Fire for an entire Vampire Weekend."--Brian Posehn

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you very much, one and all. I really appreciate your kind words.

When you start a project like this, you have a certain vision as to how it will turn out. Rarely does it end up like you originally envisioned. In this case, it not only fulfilled my expectations (which were pretty high), but it exceeded them as well.

Koa as a tone wood is roughly between mahogany and walnut in tone. Not as warm and dark as mahogany, and not quite as bright as walnut. It has a resonant acoustic tone unlike the alder and ash Strat bodies I have, but is decidedly different from the mahogany bodied Strats I've played.

I'm not really sure that the Kinman AVN Blues pickups are ideal for this guitar. They sound pretty good, but don't have the snappy presence that I would have liked. Given the nice woody, acoustic tone of the guitar, I have to believe it's the pickups themselves that are the reason for this. At some point in the future (next string change?), I might wire in the set of Lace Holy Grails I have (that also have black pickup covers). If that fails to deliver the amplified tone I think the guitar should have, I may try going back to straight single coils. I've had sort of a love/hate relationship with noiseless pickups. It's easy to be seduced by the noiseless aspect of them, but no matter how "close" they get to the tone of regular single coil pickups, something is always lacking.

Yes, the neck is a 10"-16" compound radius, which is Warmoth's "vintage modern", as they call it. It's very nice in that it allows for setting the action quite low to the fretboard. The drawback as some would say, is that Strats for some reason, derive a portion of their famous tone from a higher action. I figured that this was enough of a departure from the traditional Strat that I wasn't going to worry about that.

A note on the bridge: I can't recall the exact model it is, but it's a Wilkinson with a steel trem block that has the staggered string through holes that are a hallmark of many of the Wilkinson tremolo bridges. What sets this one apart from the traditional vintage style Wilkinson tremolo bridges, are the superb bridge saddles. They all have nice polished grooves for the strings, and the intonation settings are unique and quite positive. It's one of the most solid 6-point mount Strat type tremolos I've tried.

So now that this project is happily completed, it's back to the Lake Placid Blue Strat project...

Northern Ohio - Near Cleveland - Home of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame http://www.rockhall.com/
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bloozcat

So now that this project is happily completed, it's back to the Lake Placid Blue Strat project...
    What, your not going into full production now that the prototype is complete???
    Mark
    * Loud is good, good is better!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast