Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
Who/What inspired you? - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Who/What inspired you?

Hybrid View

Myles Guest

Quote Originally Posted by savagefire
    Robert Renman was my ultimate inspiration.
    I believe the saying goes "there is a suck up born every minute" or something like that

Post Thanks / Like

I pick up the guitar because of Wayne Cambell (wayne's world movie)
    the way he staring at his Fender Stratocaster in the window store......made me want one(I bought one copy instead of the REAL thing) and I made a deal with myself......I stop smoking cigarettes and Start playing guitar.....which what I did ......and I never smoked again!!!!
    I still have the guitar fever even after nearly 13 years

but my main influence on the Guitars are Ace Frehley, Tony Iommi, Mick Mars, Billy Corgan and Rick Derringer.

being a drummer as well since 1986, I found hapinest with guitars !!!

they're so COOOOOOOOOOooooooooooooolllllllllllllllllllll

I listen to a lot of different kind of bands
    The Beatles, The Rolling Stones, Black Sabbath, Deep Purple, Rick Derringer, Alice Cooper, KISS, AC/DC, Motley Crue, Def Leppard, Iron Maiden, Metallica, Megadeth, Anthrax, Guns 'n' Roses, SoundGarden, Alice In Chains, Stone Temple Pilots, The Tea party, The Smashing Pumpkins, Red Hot Chilli Peppers, The Donnas, The Darkness, etc...etc...

anything with guitars makes me happy !!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Christian
    I pick up the guitar because of Wayne Cambell (wayne's world movie)

[...]
    I still have the guitar fever even after nearly 13 years
    Wow, this movie is that long time ago?

Yesssssss, I like the scene, when Hendrix' Foxy Lady is beeing played!!

And of course: Bohemian Rhapsody....

I listen to music from classic (I learned violin an d played in an orchestra for 15 years) over blues, rock, pop, punkt hard-rock (not really metal) and jazz. And i like all of these styles, too.
    Greetings

Christian

Guitars: Fender Telecaster Standard, Squier Classic Vibe 50's Stratocaster, Yamaha Pacifica 412V, Dean Vendetta, J&D LS-1, Collins Stage Western

Amp: Vox Valvetronix AD50VT, Fame GX60R

Pedals: DIY Box of Rock Clone, DIY Linear Power Boster, Marshall Guv'nor Plus, Marshall Regenerator, Digitech Bad Monkey, Harley Benton OD-100, Harley Benton DD-2, Behringer Hellbabe HB01 Wah, Boss DS-1, Boss TU-2, Boss DD-7, EXH Small Clone

Post Thanks / Like

Well, I've got a wierd mix of influences... My first real influence was a guy by the name of David Latimer, who has done a one man show for a while around the Austin area... He was a friend of my Dad's, and invited me over for a quick lesson... We started with "Your Cheating Heart," played using the Roy Clark Guitar method... Two hours later, my Dad had to drag me away from the place, and David let me borrow one of his acoustics. I've been hooked ever since!

Since then, I've gone through listening (and being influenced by) everything from country to speed metal... There's not a day that goes by that I don't hear something and say, "That's cool, I GOTTA try that!"

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

A LOT of folks. I have wanted to play guitar a long time. When I finally really started playing, Neil Young was a big inspiration (surprise, surprise). But others too. Blues lick oriented rock (Stuff coming from Chuck Berry, Buddy Holly, early Beatles and Stones and the like) and surf and punk coming from those genres have inspired too. Since I got my strat, a whole bunch of blues players have inspired. I really didn't know that Chuck Berry's stuff really came from Robert Johnson before, for example.
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Amphs: Peavey Classic 30, '61 Fender Concert
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

love is the answer, at least for most of the questions in my heart. . .
    - j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

you and me both brother

Post Thanks / Like

David Gilmour inspired me and he still does!
    MY GEAR:
    Guitars: Gibson ES-335, Tokai LS160s LP, Rockinger strat 2-tone sunburst, Rockinger tele C.A.R., NS Custom Relic Tele, Epiphone Jeff Baxter electroacoustic, Admira classical guitar
    Amps: Fender Deluxe Reverb II, Tech21 TM30
    Main Effects Unit:
    VOX Tonelab SE

My Band:
    http://www.blackframe.gr

Personal Myspace:
    http://www.myspace.com/eliasavdikos

Post Thanks / Like

and...............

You don't stop playing the guitar because you are old....You get old because you have stopped playing the guitar.

www.myspace.com/rocknrollshaman

Post Thanks / Like

Hey guys,
    I would have to say early on that the guys who got me playing were Alex Lifeson and Neal Schon. That grew into a love for David Gilmour, Santana, and Jerry Garcia. I have had a thing for George Lynch's playing for a long time as well even though I was never really a metal guy. He just plain gets melodic and I love that. I still think Neal Schon is one of the best players of all time!!

Post Thanks / Like

I dunno, once I stopped listening to slipknot and linkin park, I decided to play guitar, no real reson, and I never really liked it, then I heard Rush and the Who, and I heard their bassists, Geddy Lee and John Entwistle (also, a little help from an anime called fooly cooly but spelled FlCl in which a girl bashes people on the head with a 60' rickenbacker 4001) and I wanted to play bass, when my band's bassist moved and we had to find another, guess who looked in a pawn shop and bought a fender MIM Jazz for $300 (with taxes) with a strap and gig bag.
    "the emperor is rich, but he cannot buy another year"
    -anonymous chinese person

"the thief is sorry for being hung, not for being a thief"
    -anonymous

"We are not nationalities, we are not races, we are not political parties, we are not social classes, we are not cultures, we are not subcultures, and we are not churches, but when all things are said and done, the guns are shot, the riots have died down, one thing is true, and that should preceed all other things, we are, without division: HUMAN BEINGS, is that not good enough an excuse stop shooting people, and letting others starve to death?" -Pie_man_25

Post Thanks / Like

I must be at just the wrong age, but I initially got into guitar when the hair bands were prevalent. Not that that's a horribly bad thing, I suppose, seeing as how a lot of them were really good, technical players. Not like now, where all you have to do is drop D, tune down, and you got yourself a band (not to say there aren't good players out there who do so).

Once I got into the heavier metal stuff, I found a lot better guitar players. Since then, I've been going through plenty of different types of music, from heavy to soft to in between. I've definitely been into Zakk Wylde the entire time, no matter what else I've been into, though. He's been the one constant.

Too bad I didn't pick up a guitar years before that, when I first intended to; I would have been playing years earlier than the 14 to 15 years old I was at when I started. But, as a little kid....just like now, matter of fact....I had a problem saving up money to get that first guitar.

Post Thanks / Like

In my case I started playing at the age of 10 because the greatest guitar player of all times, just my opinion.

MR. BRIAN MAY
    Guitars Squier Telecaster Custom.
    Encore Strato.
    Pedal Effects VOX Valvetronix TonelabSE
    Amp Decoud GE-18

Post Thanks / Like

For me, it was actually a hodge podge of different songs that inspired me to play, long before I actually understood who was behind them. Some notables are "Fly By Night" by Rush (I didn't know then that I would eventually become an addict to Rush but I liked this song because it was different from other stuff that was playing), "Cheap Sunglasses" by ZZ Top (Billy, like Alex Lifeson, is so underrated but he's pure genius IMO), "Carry On Wayward Son" (because I loved how the song changed beat at different times and the guitar playing was fun to play along too and a bit challenging at first), "Aqualung" (I still remember how thrilled I was to play the thematic riff and then be able to harmonize with it in 5ths which led me to learn how to harmonize solos which I still do), "Little Wing" (because there is just nothing that comes across as that does and it's still something that I can only play parts of even after more than 25 years as a regular practicing musician) and so many others I can't think of that challenged me in different ways to become the player I am today. A little piece of this and a little piece of that and a lot of different things that guitarists have said over the years which added to my playing like Ritchie Blackmore when, during an interview, said "If you want to learn new things on your guitar, listen to the sax players because the average sax player is better than the average guitarist".

Post Thanks / Like

I must say that my biggest inspiration is a fantastic young player by the name of Roger Coleman , he is the lead player for Southern Storm and also on tour with Justin Moore. I grew up on Beatles, CCR, Eagles, Deep Purple, The Hollies, The Stones and I always wanted to play but just never thought I could.

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up

My dad.

Sure, guitarists from Chuck Berry to Steve Jones (Sex Pistols) inspired me too, but here's what my Da did: brought back acoustic instruments from his world travels, told us kids if we could figure out how to play them they were ours.

I still have the no-name MIJ-acoustic he picked up in Japan. My first guitar.

Post Thanks / Like

There's been a few that say this, but...my Pops inspired me...just a little, but that's all it took. He had an old Sears Silvertone hollowbody type of thing from when he was about my age when I picked it up. He showed me a few bar chords and from there I went!

I started in school band shortly after (started out on saxophones)...and I learned a lot from that. Kept teaching myself guitar by tabs and trial and error.

Then in my last couple years of high school I took up percussion in school band. That helped a lot too, believe it or not.

Then in my junior year in high school I took Music Theory...wow...it blew my mind. Then in my senior year I took AP Music Theory...those two years of theory opened up a whole new world for me on guitar.

18 years later...I would have to say that it was my dad that inspired me to play...All it took was that little bit that he did. :

Post Thanks / Like

My late stepfather. He didn't play, but had an ear for good guitar music. He moved in whan I was 10, and brought his record collection...which he gave me free access to. I spent hours in the rec room with Deep Purple's "Made in Japan", Led Zeppelin 2, the Bluesbreakers with Eric Clapton, the Stones' "Sticky Fingers", Hendrix's "Are You Experienced"...the list goes on.

Prior to that, I was hooked on Mom's Beatles records, and someone in the apartment building we lived in had Van Halen 1. That record blew my little mind, but my step-dad's collection of rock & blues showed me where it all came from.

When he had cancer (which he unfortunately didn't beat), I drove him across the state for a procedure. On the way we listened to & discussed "Beggars Banquet". I will never be without a copy of that album.

Northern Ohio - Near Cleveland - Home of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame http://www.rockhall.com/
    Post Thanks / Like

Huck,

Great inspiration story. Stepfather musical influence and guidance is nice to hear.:
    Mark
    * Loud is good, good is better!

Post Thanks / Like

Cobain believe it or not.Just loved the nirvana unplugged album.and because my older brother had a guitar,and of course I always got the "don't touch my stuff!" from him everyday,haha.One day he heard me strumming nirvana and he let me have the guitar.When I heard of Randy Rhoads,Dimebag and SRV ..it just opened the gate for my guitar kingdom.
    Rip Dimebag Darrell,Stevie Ray Vaughan,and Randy Rhoads.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast