Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
Who/What inspired you? - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Who/What inspired you?

Post Thanks / Like

My late stepfather. He didn't play, but had an ear for good guitar music. He moved in whan I was 10, and brought his record collection...which he gave me free access to. I spent hours in the rec room with Deep Purple's "Made in Japan", Led Zeppelin 2, the Bluesbreakers with Eric Clapton, the Stones' "Sticky Fingers", Hendrix's "Are You Experienced"...the list goes on.

Prior to that, I was hooked on Mom's Beatles records, and someone in the apartment building we lived in had Van Halen 1. That record blew my little mind, but my step-dad's collection of rock & blues showed me where it all came from.

When he had cancer (which he unfortunately didn't beat), I drove him across the state for a procedure. On the way we listened to & discussed "Beggars Banquet". I will never be without a copy of that album.

Northern Ohio - Near Cleveland - Home of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame http://www.rockhall.com/
    Post Thanks / Like

Huck,

Great inspiration story. Stepfather musical influence and guidance is nice to hear.:
    Mark
    * Loud is good, good is better!

Post Thanks / Like

Cobain believe it or not.Just loved the nirvana unplugged album.and because my older brother had a guitar,and of course I always got the "don't touch my stuff!" from him everyday,haha.One day he heard me strumming nirvana and he let me have the guitar.When I heard of Randy Rhoads,Dimebag and SRV ..it just opened the gate for my guitar kingdom.
    Rip Dimebag Darrell,Stevie Ray Vaughan,and Randy Rhoads.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Nuttin wrong with that. I miss Cobain as well.
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Amphs: Peavey Classic 30, '61 Fender Concert
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

love is the answer, at least for most of the questions in my heart. . .
    - j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

For me it was my cousin, I was just a wee lad back then, he was 20 something. I heard him play Me and Bobby McGee by Kris Kristofferson. I just loved it intensely. I really wanted to learn to do that, but yea my small little mind sort of forgot about it.

20 years later I found the song, instantly remembered, and phoned my brother and asked if I can borrow his acoustic. Google'd my *** off for chords, how to actually play chords and after a while I could play it, but really badly hehe. My problem was I was trying to play with a pick (as the guides suggest) and follow the songs rythm to a tee. Just never could get the feel. I then got drunk and stoned one night, and decided screw this, I will make it mine. Started banging the strings using only my thumb, using my own rythm, and my weird thumb strumming style thingy was born.

To this day it's still my favourite song to play, and the one I do best. :-)

Northern Ohio - Near Cleveland - Home of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame http://www.rockhall.com/
    Post Thanks / Like

I guess for me the seed was sown back when I was 16 or around that age and my cousin came up from Columbus OH. As soon as he walked in the door he says, C'mon you have to hear this, where's your stereo?" As he is setting up the stereo to play the album, I'm reading cover and wondering what the hell is he bringing me and why so excited. It as JH, Are You Experienced. Admittidly I had to listen to it a few times, but I started to enjoy it.

The seed lay dormant for years, when I suddenly decided I was going to do it. In the early part of learning I found the "ruts" to be a common experience. Not wanting to give up, but still it was losing some of its enjoyment.

About that time was when I purchased my first acoustic and met the likes of Rocket, Wingsdad, Shiner, CB, Mudcat, and Dreadman (I'm sure there are other names to add) over at Washburn. They inspired me and more importantly motivated me to continue. Just the other day my wife walked in the room and commented "Don't you have to look at your hands when you play?" I immediately thought of Rocket and the numerous times he told me, stop looking at your hands, you are holding yourself back and not "feeling" the music. Then there is Shiner and Wingsdad that helped me through personal issues (don't like the term hardship) and provided positive reenforcement when it was needed. Let us not forget CB and Mudcat - CB offering encouragement and inspiration only someone like her could provide. Mudcat the same, but not so sweet, his was more a just shut up and do it approach, but he means the same as sweet CB.

I honestly don't know if I would have continued to play without the support of these people.

To come here and have these people here means a lot. Then to come here and find people of equal caliber just adds to the support.

Geez, I'm starting to sound like one of CB's posts. I'm going to check the family tree and see if Mother Theresa and I are related.

Mark
    * Loud is good, good is better!

Post Thanks / Like

I had many inspirations. Many of the names have been listed above by other posters. But I also recall just hearing amateurs play throughout my life that just blew me away. I love the sound of an acoustic guitar and music in general.

I always liked the mellow acoustical sounds of bands and artists like CSN&Y,America,Bob Dylan,Eagles....I could go on and on.
    Was always one of those people who said, man I wish I could play the guitar. So I finally decided to give it an honest try.
    Its taken a while but I have to say I am quite happy that I have managed to reach the level I am at. I am hungry to go further with it and advance. Its addictive for sure.

pes_laul Guest

Quote Originally Posted by sunvalleylaw
    Nuttin wrong with that. I miss Cobain as well.
    he did use the coolest chorus pedal

Post Thanks / Like

Though I liked rock and metal, I never had any real interest in learning the guitar to be honest.

I went to see Alter Bridge play Glasgow in June 2005. I was going through a really bad time in my life and wasnt really up for the gig. Was first in the queue, so ended up right at the front of the barriers- as it turned out, right in front of Mark Tremonti's main stage area. Saying "I was blown away" is a bit of a cliche, but it was easily the best gig Ive ever been to: the energy and feel Tremonti put in his playing was incredible, and the speed of his fretwork was astonishing, made all the better because I was - at most - 2 feet away!

Came out from that gig so elated, and I knew then I was going to take up the guitar.

Post Thanks / Like

Rik Emmet. First time I ever heard rock, classical, coffee house blues and jazz on the same album, let alone a rock album. Turned me on and I never stopped. I can still tell when it's him. Since then Rush, Steve Lukather still gives me chills, Ronnie Earl. Lately alot of the guys doing country, Keith Urban, Brad Paisly and the guy who plays for Kenny Chesney Clayton Mitchel (sp) is putting put some tasty stuff. It's not hard to find reasons to stay at it.

Post Thanks / Like

Always liked popular music -- Beatles, Monkees, all the British bands -- even pantomined the Beatles on a homecoming float in grade school. Never paid attention to individual instruments other than "guitar" or "drums." I plinked on an old classical guitar my mom got me from the department store she worked at. Learned open chords but that's it.

But in ninth grade, a few classmates of mine with a trio (and their older brothers' pro equipment) played at a school rally in the gym. After playing the Star Spangled Banner, they roared into a run of Grand Funk Railroad tunes at top volume. That BASS!!! It vibrated the bench I sat on and made me crazy. I LOVED that thunder sound! I ended up finangling an old Hagstrom bass from another friend for $25 and started playing. My family moved that following summer, and in my new town, I knew nobody, so I spent the summer in my room playing bass along with all my records. By the time I started the new school in the fall, I had more than a little ability to play. Everything else went from there.

BTW, I tracked that old classmate down earlier this year and let him know just how he ruined my life. :

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123