Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968
What to do when your band starts playing a different tune...

Thread: What to do when your band starts playing a different tune...

Post Thanks / Like

Default What to do when your band starts playing a different tune...

First post here at TheFret.Net...

I live in a town (a big one) where I have no connections except my wife (the reason for being here) and my sister. Everyone else is hundreds of miles away. I've been playing since I was 10. I still have my greatest acquisition from when I was 14, a Gibson ES-347. Thirty years later I'm finally playing regularly, getting the chops down and writing material.

About five years ago, I hooked up with two guys to start a small jam band. We've played private parties and get together every month to six weeks. Sometimes its a few time a week; sometime its months (like the summer time with vacations and kids). Lately we've been working on some of our own material. We all are middle aged and each one has our own business; and we have worked together outside of the music. This gives us flexibility with our time and gear acquisitions. Most guys our age would be hitting the county club links with their free time but we play music. It's gotten to the point of asking clients and vendors if they play or sing. We added a few to the jam band as guess musicians. It's been fun and great until now.

With the current election coverage, we have been having off-topic discussions and the stuff I have been hearing from these two guys is appalling and down right scary. They have a very dark outlook on life and our society. They are involved with guns and sourcing silencers and mod kits to go 'fully automatic'. They used to asked if I would like to join them at the gun club someday...

I've invested countless hours of creativity charting and re-scoring songs for a three piece band, writing and editing our own stuff, recording and mixing demos, and practicing on my own to get my sound perfect for the next jam or the rare performance.

I'm completely lost now. I have the drive to perform but not all the energy nor contacts to re-form a band. I'm on the dark side of the moon...
    Last edited by zuschnell; May 20th, 2008 at 09:34 AM. Reason: typos

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome to the Fret. Where ya from? Sounds like the revolution has started in your area.
    Guitars/Bass - MIM Fender Classic 50s Strat, MIM Fender Standard Strat, Squier Classic Vibe 50s Tele, Gibson Les Paul Studio, Epi '56 Gold Top Les Paul, Martin DSR acoustic, Sigma Martin Auditorium electric/acoustic, Squier Jazz Bass.

Amps/Cabinets/Modelers - Model 2558 50 watt Marshall Silver Anniversary Jubilee combo w/ Celestion Vintage 30s, 4x12 Marshall cabinet w/25 watt Greenback Celestions, Fender Blues Junior w/ a couple of Billm mods, Line 6 POD 2.0, Roland Micro Cube

Pedals/Effects - Cry Baby Classic Wah, Boss TU-2, Boss NS-2, Boss RC-2 Loop Station, Ross Compressor, MXR Micro Amp, Danelectro FAB Echo, Danelectro FAB Chorus, Danelectro Chicken Salad, Marshall Guv'nor Plus, Marshall Echohead, Duhvoodooman's Zonkin' Yellow Screamer, Digitech Digiverb, Digitech Bad Monkey, Dunlop Fuzz Face, Homemade Loop Bypass pedal, Duhvoodooman's Sonic Tonic (Maxon SD-9 clone +), Voodoo Labs Superfuzz

Camrose, Alberta, Canada - used to be Umea Sweden.
    Post Thanks / Like

Welcome, zuschnell. That sounds a bit scary. Maybe you need to talk to them more about this. Maybe both parties need make clear where you stand with this issue?
    The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.
    Master Guitar Academy - I also teach via SKYPE.

Post Thanks / Like

Whoa, pretty heavy question there. Suggest that you may want to stop over at The Fret Players forum and introduce yourself before we dive into this one!
    DVM's Ever-Expanding Gear List:

Guitars - W-A-A-A-Y-Y too many to list. Check 'em all out HERE

Amps & Cabs - "Kap'n Kerrang-aroo" BYOC 18W TMB kit amp head; Mojave Coyote head; Fender Hot Rod Deluxe Lacquered Tweed Ltd. Ed.; Allen Sweet Spot kit amp; BYOC Tweed Royal kit amp; Epiphone Valve Jr. combo + mods; Drive 2x12 cab / Celestion G12M Greenback + G12H30; AB Custom Audio 1x12 cab / Celestion Alnico Blue

Pedals/Effects - ZILLIONS, including DVM's Home-built Pedals - See some HERE and HERE, TOO!

DVM's Gear Photos
    Visit MY WEBSITE!

Post Thanks / Like

Take a hint from John Phil Wayne or Seasick Steve. Sometimes you can only rely on yourself. And it can be good that way, too. No one to tell you to cut your solos down (or stop shredding) or any of that. Basically, just carry on playing music. That's what you've been doing since you were 10, isn't it? Why stop (or change) now?