Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Fender Stratocaster

Northern Ohio - Near Cleveland - Home of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame http://www.rockhall.com/
    Post Thanks / Like

Geez, I thought I could go to England and know what everyone is talking about.
    Mark
    * Loud is good, good is better!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by just strum
    Geez, I thought I could go to England and know what everyone is talking about.
    Ha! Good luck. I lived here for years before I understood anyone (but the Somerset accent doesn't help. . .)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by thearabianmage
    You blag! Fair play! :
    Thanks. Part of it is being fortunate. Part of it is also following various guitar-selling websites way too closely even when I don't want anything. Plus when you have very, very little discretionary income, you've got to do some smart shopping. I probably wouldn't have gotten my Floyd if someone on the Jackson-Charvel forums didn't offer to take my Model 7 off my hands for a very decent price.

I also managed to get my EX-7 brand new on evilBay for $149 when it normally goes for $199.

I've already warned my wife that if I ever see a Charvel Model-something super strat with the firecrackle finish, the credit card is coming out
    Axen: Jackson DK2M, Fender Deluxe Nashville Telecaster, Reverend Warhawk 390, Taylor 914ce, ESP LTD Surveyor-414
    Amphen: Jet City JCA22H and JCA12S cab, Carvin X-60 combo, Acoustic B20
    Effecten: "Thesis 96" Overdrive/Boost (aka DVM OD2), Hardwire DL-8 Digital Delay/Looper, DigiTech Polara Reverb, DigiTech EX-7 Expression Factory and CF-7 Chorus Factory, Danelectro CF-1 Cool Cat Fuzz
    "I wish Imagine Dragons would be stuck in an Arcade Fire for an entire Vampire Weekend."--Brian Posehn

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by marnold
    Thanks. Part of it is being fortunate. Part of it is also following various guitar-selling websites way too closely even when I don't want anything. Plus when you have very, very little discretionary income, you've got to do some smart shopping. I probably wouldn't have gotten my Floyd if someone on the Jackson-Charvel forums didn't offer to take my Model 7 off my hands for a very decent price.

I also managed to get my EX-7 brand new on evilBay for $149 when it normally goes for $199.

I've already warned my wife that if I ever see a Charvel Model-something super strat with the firecrackle finish, the credit card is coming out
    Fair enough! I've got a Jackson-Charvel that I'm fixin up at the moment, but to be honest, I doubt you'd want it. Do you know much about Jackson-Charvels, because I'm not sure how much to sell this for. I've already got a kid lined up to buy it, a guitar student of mine, for £150 - but I'm thinking that may be too cheap. Not so sure - it's Charvel CX692 - know anything about them?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by thearabianmage
    Hey everybody. I knew this thread would start a bit of controversy. . . sorry about that.

I ain't got no problem with Fender - but sometimes with reading text, it's a bit difficult to know how the writer 'would be saying it.' I am not raging with Fender, but I think it's rather 'cheeky' of them. They are a business, though, after all. I worked in tourism for a couple years, and God only knows how much we had to jack the price up on things.

Krashpad was right with his 'educated buyer' point. Too true.

Rev Rawk was right with the 'session' point.

hubberjub hasn't really got a point - yes the £ is up on the dollar, but add the price of shipping a guitar overseas, plus the 20% import fee on anything over £200 in value, and you are usually looking at the same price on both sides of the pond.

Denzeg is right as well- if I don't like it, then I shouldn't buy it. And I won't. So I guess I shouldn't complain about it, then. But I would like to express an opinion - and if you don't like that opinion, you don't have to read or respond to it. (that isn't meant nastily, honest)

I'll shut up now.
    No, no....don't get me wrong. I'm not ranting either and certainly not throwing a "if you don't like it, don't buy it" thing out there by any means. I'm simply saying that the things that you've pointed out about Fender is just a small part of their overall business. I certainly don't care for the whole whacked out price repro's (and even to some degree, signatures), either. What I'm saying is you've focused your complaint with laying into them for those things, but really...is that all Fender is really about? Not at all.

They have a full line of guitars from cheapies on up to the signatures- something for everyone and their budget- and, in general, their quality is actually rather good across that spectrum. THAT'S Fender, by and large. Also, go have a look at Gibson's signatures and repro's and then come back and have another look at Fender prices (except for the repro's, which are still outlandish). Custom shops and signatures from just about anyone are out of line.

I think if you just didn't put so much worth into those two aspects and put things into an overall perspective, you would find that Fender has a lot more positive going on than you're giving them credit for in your original post.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Danzego
    They have a full line of guitars from cheapies on up to the signatures- something for everyone and their budget- and, in general, their quality is actually rather good across that spectrum. THAT'S Fender, by and large.
    You hold a very good point there, my friend. :

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123