Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968
Tele - Ugly or Beautiful? - Page 3
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Tele - Ugly or Beautiful?

Post Thanks / Like

Hey Vood, how come you got away from the original 6 saddle bridge ?
    Pros/cons ?
    I've always thought I would leave my Nash bone stock but I could be persuaded.

thanks

Ted

Northern Ohio - Near Cleveland - Home of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame http://www.rockhall.com/
    Post Thanks / Like

DVM, I was curious about that too. I have the three saddle set up and I was thinking that setting intonation would be difficult since two strings occupy one saddle.

This being new to me, I was curious if I was missing something.
    Mark
    * Loud is good, good is better!

Post Thanks / Like

Hit the TDPRI forums and search for three compensated saddle. You will find more information than you ever cared to know. Many will claim that it can't be a Tele without it. I'm not smart enough to know the difference, but then again my favorite bridges are made by a guy named Floyd.
    Axen: Jackson DK2M, Fender Deluxe Nashville Telecaster, Reverend Warhawk 390, Taylor 914ce, ESP LTD Surveyor-414
    Amphen: Jet City JCA22H and JCA12S cab, Carvin X-60 combo, Acoustic B20
    Effecten: "Thesis 96" Overdrive/Boost (aka DVM OD2), Hardwire DL-8 Digital Delay/Looper, DigiTech Polara Reverb, DigiTech EX-7 Expression Factory and CF-7 Chorus Factory, Danelectro CF-1 Cool Cat Fuzz
    "I wish Imagine Dragons would be stuck in an Arcade Fire for an entire Vampire Weekend."--Brian Posehn

Northern Ohio - Near Cleveland - Home of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame http://www.rockhall.com/
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by marnold
    Hit the TDPRI forums and search for three compensated saddle. You will find more information than you ever cared to know. Many will claim that it can't be a Tele without it. I'm not smart enough to know the difference, but then again my favorite bridges are made by a guy named Floyd.
    Thanks. You guys throw stuff out like TDPRI and other terms and/or places and I am clueless. However, I Googled and found it.
    Mark

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by just strum
    Thanks. You guys throw stuff out like TDPRI and other terms and/or places and I am clueless. However, I Googled and found it.
    Good call. Sorry. For future visitors to this thread, this is the TDPRI.
    Axen: Jackson DK2M, Fender Deluxe Nashville Telecaster, Reverend Warhawk 390, Taylor 914ce, ESP LTD Surveyor-414
    Amphen: Jet City JCA22H and JCA12S cab, Carvin X-60 combo, Acoustic B20
    Effecten: "Thesis 96" Overdrive/Boost (aka DVM OD2), Hardwire DL-8 Digital Delay/Looper, DigiTech Polara Reverb, DigiTech EX-7 Expression Factory and CF-7 Chorus Factory, Danelectro CF-1 Cool Cat Fuzz
    "I wish Imagine Dragons would be stuck in an Arcade Fire for an entire Vampire Weekend."--Brian Posehn

Post Thanks / Like

No need to be sorry, but if you haven't heard I've been living in a cave the last few years. I get on here and people talk about product and use terminology I never heard of, but that's why I'm here - to learn and be motivated. Oh, and have fun.:
    Mark

Post Thanks / Like

Only 3 barrels for me,but im OG like that
    "I love being alive and I will be the best man I possibly can. I will take love wherever I find it and offer it to whoever will take it... seek knowledge from those wiser and teach those who wish to learn from me."
    "Develop your talent, man, and leave the world something. Records are really gifts from people. To think that an artist would love you enough to share his music with anyone is a beautiful thing."
    Duane Skydog Allman

You come to a point in your life when you really don't care what people think about you, you just care what you think about yourself." - Evel Knievel

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mrmudcat
    Only 3 barrels for me,but im OG like that
    see someone did it again, gotta go Google.
    Mark

Post Thanks / Like

Lightbulb

Believe it or not, you can also get there via: http://www.telecaster.com

It's such a better URL, I can't understand why they don't use it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ted s
    Hey Vood, how come you got away from the original 6 saddle bridge ?
    Pros/cons ?
    I've always thought I would leave my Nash bone stock but I could be persuaded.

thanks

Ted
    Quote Originally Posted by just strum
    DVM, I was curious about that too. I have the three saddle set up and I was thinking that setting intonation would be difficult since two strings occupy one saddle.

This being new to me, I was curious if I was missing something.
    Just a matter of personal preference, really. I always liked that classic & distinctive Tele 3-saddle bridge look, and the brass saddles do give a slightly rounder tone to take a little harshness off the edge of the Tele twang, esp. on the bridge p'up. I went with compensated saddles specifically because of the potential intonation issue, and they seem to address it pretty well; not quite dead-solid-perfect intonation by tuner measurement, but certainly close enough by ear for my modest needs and the type of music I play. Heck, if it was good enough for titans like Roy Buchanan, James Burton, Albert Collins, Danny Gatton and countless others, it's good enough for the likes of me!
    DVM's Ever-Expanding Gear List:

Guitars - W-A-A-A-Y-Y too many to list. Check 'em all out HERE

Amps & Cabs - "Kap'n Kerrang-aroo" BYOC 18W TMB kit amp head; Mojave Coyote head; Fender Hot Rod Deluxe Lacquered Tweed Ltd. Ed.; Allen Sweet Spot kit amp; BYOC Tweed Royal kit amp; Epiphone Valve Jr. combo + mods; Drive 2x12 cab / Celestion G12M Greenback + G12H30; AB Custom Audio 1x12 cab / Celestion Alnico Blue

Pedals/Effects - ZILLIONS, including DVM's Home-built Pedals - See some HERE and HERE, TOO!

DVM's Gear Photos
    Visit MY WEBSITE!

Post Thanks / Like

Ugly...?

Beautiful...?

Hang one around your neck, plug it into a good tube amp...

...and let your ears decide...:

Post Thanks / Like

I never really liked or hated them.
    Whenever I saw someone else playing one it was "oh, so and so plays a tele"
    and I never gave it much more thought.
    Then I played one myself and I'm hooked!
    My cheapest guitar is now my "go to" that I find myself playing all the time.
    I can't explain it, it just IS.
    Eric
    Guitars: Vox standard model 24,Framus jumbo acoustic,
    Crafter Telecaster copy,Crafter D-7 acoustic,
    Samick les paul copy.
    Dillion SG
    Amps: Behringer GMX1200H, Epiphone valve jr.

Post Thanks / Like

Before I got my Tele I was convinced I was going to get a Strat. I went in one day and A-B'd a bunch with no wow factor, then I tried my Tele.. Like Eric said, it just is.

Post Thanks / Like

Just so the newcomers know, the butt-ugly comment wasn't done in a serious manner. Those that found the guitar unappealing and weren't drawn in commented about it being unattractive. Eventually it was commented that they are butt-ugly, but the desire to get one grows on you.

Now as for the Tele body style, I am surprised how comfortable it feels. I thought it would feel uncomfortable or awkward when compared to my other guitars, especially the Strat. I still feel it's a fun guitar and I grow comfortable in using the sound to it's fullest I see no reason to feel positive about it. Someday I may feel so positive I'll splurge on a G&L, but that's a long ways off.
    Mark

North of the Equator: I am a Southerner, Southern Ontario!
    Post Thanks / Like

This is the closest I have come to a tele. It was the Fender Tele FMT HH in Black Cherryburst. It was a sweet looking guitar Set neck with a 15 inch radius, medium jumbo frets, and two hbs with a push pull pot for single coil or hb modes. It was very light and very thin and was almost toylike. I eventually traded up to a 50 Anniversary Deluxe Strat. It was a very pretty color though.
    http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a3...elefmthh-1.jpg
    The Blues is alright!

Guitars: 1968 Gibson SG, 2005 Gibson SG Standard, 2006 Gibson LP Classic Gold top, 2004 Epiphone Elitist LP Custom, 1996 Gibson Les Paul Standard. 2001 Epiphone Sheraton II, 2007 Epiphone G400.
    Fender Strats: 1996 Fender 68 Reissue CIJ, 2008 Squier CV 50s, 2009 Squier CV 50s Tele Butterescotch Blonde

Amps: Blues Junior Special edition Jensen in Brown Tolex with Wheat front, 65 Deluxe Reverb reissue,1970 Sonax reverb by Traynor, Avatar Custom 2/12 Cabinet with Eminence Legend V1216 speakers,
    2008 DSL100 Marshall Amp , Fender Super Champ XD,Fender Vibro Champ XD

Effects and Pedals: Fulltone Fulldrive II, Fulltone OCD, Fulltone Mini Deja Vibe, Fulltone Fat Boost, Dunlop Crybaby Wah, Boss DS1, Boss DD20 Giga Delay, Boss TU2 tuner, Boss BD2, Ibanez TS9 Tube screamer, Zoom 505. Radial tonebone hot british.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by wingsdad
    That's what early Tele players said, so they created the Strat. And added a 2nd cutaway, a 3rd pickup, more tone control and the misnomered but effectively revolutionary 'tremolo' integrated with bridge system.
    That must be why I love Strats so much. Only thing is that you don't get the same sounds out of a traditional Strat as you do on a Tele with the 2 pup combo, vintage bridge and string through back design on an ash body. Well you could but you'd have to modify a hardtail ash Strat I suppose.
    Guitars/Bass - MIM Fender Classic 50s Strat, MIM Fender Standard Strat, Squier Classic Vibe 50s Tele, Gibson Les Paul Studio, Epi '56 Gold Top Les Paul, Martin DSR acoustic, Sigma Martin Auditorium electric/acoustic, Squier Jazz Bass.

Amps/Cabinets/Modelers - Model 2558 50 watt Marshall Silver Anniversary Jubilee combo w/ Celestion Vintage 30s, 4x12 Marshall cabinet w/25 watt Greenback Celestions, Fender Blues Junior w/ a couple of Billm mods, Line 6 POD 2.0, Roland Micro Cube

Pedals/Effects - Cry Baby Classic Wah, Boss TU-2, Boss NS-2, Boss RC-2 Loop Station, Ross Compressor, MXR Micro Amp, Danelectro FAB Echo, Danelectro FAB Chorus, Danelectro Chicken Salad, Marshall Guv'nor Plus, Marshall Echohead, Duhvoodooman's Zonkin' Yellow Screamer, Digitech Digiverb, Digitech Bad Monkey, Dunlop Fuzz Face, Homemade Loop Bypass pedal, Duhvoodooman's Sonic Tonic (Maxon SD-9 clone +), Voodoo Labs Superfuzz

Post Thanks / Like

Have you ever purchased a car and then suddenly you seem to notice that make and model everywhere.

Same is happening with the Tele. I hear more people talk about them, meeting more people that own them or hope to someday. The other day I received my copy of Guitar Player and read an article about stomp boxes. Today I was sitting at the kitchen table and grab something to eat. I grab that same mag and notice on the cover "Twang Seminar - Learn Some Burnin' Hot Tele Licks" Short history about the guitar and then lessons from various artists.

Here's a little something from the website.

http://truefiretv.com/index.html?req...twang/dbtintro
    Mark

Post Thanks / Like

Teles - I love 'em. Funny thing is, I didn't appreciate how cool they were until a few years ago. Up until that point, it was all pointy guitars and tons of distortion all the time.

I guess I've matured a bit as a player. There's something about the design and the inherent "Tele-tone" that speaks to me. I also have fun playing Teles every time I pick one up.

Now if I could make one speak like Danny Gatton that would be something!:
    Guitars:
    Fender 2006 MIM Fender Stratocaster HSS in 3TS
    Ibanez RG 570 with a bridge Invader
    ESP M II Deluxe with a Tune-o-Matic bridge
    Eleanor, the magical, mystical Road Worn wonder Tele
    Blackstar HT Club 40

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Katastrophe

Now if I could make one speak like Danny Gatton that would be something!:
    Here's a start

http://guitarplayer.com/article/10-t...u/Oct-07/31617
    Mark

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast