Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
Tele - Ugly or Beautiful? - Page 4
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Tele - Ugly or Beautiful?

Post Thanks / Like

I own PRS, Hamer, Martin, Reverend, G&L and Fender guitars.

Hands down, the one that looks the best to me is the Telecaster. Maybe I'm just old fashioned.
    Last edited by R.B. Huckleberry; August 8th, 2009 at 09:20 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

I don't think it's the best looking guitar in the world, by far. But it's unique and gets the job done. That sound only a Tele can make. Just ask Springsteen, or the GREAT James Burton, or any number of today's artists who have found a new voice for the Tele in all types of music.

It's really an open-ended question. Ugly or beautiful physically or tonally? It certainly is the most basic of electric guitars - a slab of wood, a big thick slab of wood U-shaped neck, strings, vol, tone and 3-way blade switch. Maybe its beauty lies in one of my favorite phrases: "elegant understatement".

It's all subjective, in the end. I could do w/o one if I had to. I have one (MIM - chrome red), and, if I had to let it go, it wouldn't kill me. I rarely play it.
    bigG

Guitars:

Gibson Les Paul Studio Faded Cherry Mahogany, Peavey HP Signature EXP, Epi Sheraton II, Fender Standard Fat Strat, original 1982 Made in the USA Fender Bullet (w original HSC)/ 2005 Martin HD-7 Roger McGuinn Signature Edition (#102 of 250), Martin M-36 (0000), Martin OM-21, Martin 000-15M, Hohner EL-SP Plus Parlor acoustic

Amps: Swart Space Tone 6V6se, Swart Night Light Power Attenuator/compressor/stereo line-out, Peavey Windsor Studio, Vox AD50VT, Fender Super Champ XD, Vox DA15, Marshall MG10KK, '83 Peavey Bandit 65

Pedals: Cry Baby 535q wah, Bad Monkey OD, Boss DS-1, Sabine FuzzStortion, HardWire RV-7 Reverb

www.swartamps.com
    www.ericjosephelectricguitars.com

Carpe diem, brother, cause you don't know how many diems you have left to carpe.

Post Thanks / Like

I love the look of the Tele. I think it looks awesome. MUCH better looking then a Stratocaster.

Let me cut to the chase here. I have only had one Strat in 30 years of playing and I got rid of of it because the looks of it bugged me. I personally think Strats are ugly. I may be the only player who feels that way, but thats just me.

They are comfortable, play great and sound great...but I cant get past the looks. Looks wise they have always seemed to come across to me as *Space age* or *ultra modern*, and if there is any style that bugs me its those two.

I am more of a *conservative* or *retro* type of guy regarding style.

Currently I play a Les Paul, a 335, and a Tele.

Post Thanks / Like

I originally thought that Teles were Butt Ugly.

They've got a limp-wristed cutaway and an idiotic cut-in-half no-style pickguard...

But now I am caught by their iconic appeal. Spending time with guitars and guitar related talk will do that to you.

I want one.
    I pick a moon dog.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I think they look fine, and in the right hands, sound great. But after shopping for them, I found that they don't feel comfortable to me, and I have a hard time dialing in the sound that I hear others get. I guess part of that is because I am so used to my favorite strat pup positions, and teles are clearly different creatures.
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Amphs: Peavey Classic 30, '61 Fender Concert
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

love is the answer, at least for most of the questions in my heart. . .
    - j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

The alien with his singing organ in his butt said "limp wristed" now that is funny.
    Guitars: 2002 Les Paul Studio Limited Color's Edition | 2004 Greg Bennett Avion Les Paul Copy | S101 Telecaster project | 2004 Washburn D46 Acoustic

Amplification: Epiphone Valve Jr. Head and Cabinet | VOX AD30VT

Effects: Rocktron Delay | BBE Free Fuzz | Big Muff Pi | Boss Flanger | Bad Monkey | Jekyll and Hyde | Cry Baby Wah | Boss EQ | Behrenger TU300 Tuner |

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ZMAN
    This is the closest I have come to a tele. It was the Fender Tele FMT HH in Black Cherryburst. It was a sweet looking guitar Set neck with a 15 inch radius, medium jumbo frets, and two hbs with a push pull pot for single coil or hb modes. It was very light and very thin and was almost toylike. I eventually traded up to a 50 Anniversary Deluxe Strat. It was a very pretty color though.
    http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a3...elefmthh-1.jpg

Hey Zman toy like in what way?

Post Thanks / Like

I hated Tele's but after looking at them and hearing how they can sound, I am game for them. I will say that they are a thing of beauty...

North of the Equator: I am a Southerner, Southern Ontario!
    Post Thanks / Like

Maxi: It was very thin in the body and the neck was one of the thinest I have played. I am a big fan of slim taper but this was really thin. The neck had a set of huge jumbo frets and a 15 degree radius. It was a set neck unlike most Telecasters and just didn't seem substantial enough. I had a set of open coil humbuckers and a push pull tone control that let you get single coil or hummbuckers. It was very light and didn't have a lot of resonance. Of course mine was made in Korea by Cort.
    I guess I am just not a tele type of guy.
    The Blues is alright!

Guitars: 1968 Gibson SG, 2005 Gibson SG Standard, 2006 Gibson LP Classic Gold top, 2004 Epiphone Elitist LP Custom, 1996 Gibson Les Paul Standard. 2001 Epiphone Sheraton II, 2007 Epiphone G400.
    Fender Strats: 1996 Fender 68 Reissue CIJ, 2008 Squier CV 50s, 2009 Squier CV 50s Tele Butterescotch Blonde

Amps: Blues Junior Special edition Jensen in Brown Tolex with Wheat front, 65 Deluxe Reverb reissue,1970 Sonax reverb by Traynor, Avatar Custom 2/12 Cabinet with Eminence Legend V1216 speakers,
    2008 DSL100 Marshall Amp , Fender Super Champ XD,Fender Vibro Champ XD

Effects and Pedals: Fulltone Fulldrive II, Fulltone OCD, Fulltone Mini Deja Vibe, Fulltone Fat Boost, Dunlop Crybaby Wah, Boss DS1, Boss DD20 Giga Delay, Boss TU2 tuner, Boss BD2, Ibanez TS9 Tube screamer, Zoom 505. Radial tonebone hot british.

Post Thanks / Like

Zman...that is one pretty tele there.
    Guitars: 2002 Les Paul Studio Limited Color's Edition | 2004 Greg Bennett Avion Les Paul Copy | S101 Telecaster project | 2004 Washburn D46 Acoustic

Amplification: Epiphone Valve Jr. Head and Cabinet | VOX AD30VT

Effects: Rocktron Delay | BBE Free Fuzz | Big Muff Pi | Boss Flanger | Bad Monkey | Jekyll and Hyde | Cry Baby Wah | Boss EQ | Behrenger TU300 Tuner |

Post Thanks / Like

it all depends on the finish.... i like sunburst teles, or those awesome rosewood ones, that are just natural looking.. but i would never buy just a black telecaster, for instance. meh.
    Guitars: Epiphone Elitist LP Custom, Ibanez Talman TC420, Guitar built by yours truly
    Pedals: Digitech DF7, Digitech EX7, Ibanez WH10, ZVEX Fuzz Factory, EHX The Worm, Arion DDM-1, Digitech XBW
    Amp: Marshall MG100HDFX + MG412
    www.myspace.com/ragnarpk

pes_laul Guest

I used to think they were lame...Until I played the 72' original (which is actually signed into the dudes will for me to get) Now I love and appreciate the guitars sound and looks.:

Post Thanks / Like

I'm not a big fan of their appearance, but I'll say anything bad about their sound.
    -Kodiak
    Guitars:
    Washburn Idol 64 DL w/GFS Dream 180 pups
    Washburn X-33 w/GFS 60's-70's Grey Bottom Non Stagger Overwound
    Stagg G300 SG w/GFS Power Rails
    Art & Lutherie Acoustic

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kodiak3D
    I'm not a big fan of their appearance, but I'll say anything bad about their sound.
    TRY THAT AGAIN THERE KODIAK????

Northern Ohio - Near Cleveland - Home of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame http://www.rockhall.com/
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Martinguy
    I love the look of the Tele. I think it looks awesome. MUCH better looking then a Stratocaster....

I am more of a *conservative* or *retro* type of guy regarding style.

Currently I play a Les Paul, a 335, and a Tele.
    I started this thread over a year ago and I have to say that my feeling have run hot and cold when it comes to the Tele. I don't find it visually appealing and its sound is only enjoyable when in the hands of someone other than me.

I too am conservative and find the Strat such a mainstay in rock and blues that I consider it a conservative guitar. I guess I look at the LP the same way you look at the Strat. For some reason the guitar has never appealed to me.

We do have common ground however - the 335. Although I don't own one, I feel there is no better guitar (I think I may have mentioned that before).
    Mark
    * Loud is good, good is better!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ZMAN
    Maxi: It was very thin in the body and the neck was one of the thinest I have played. I am a big fan of slim taper but this was really thin. The neck had a set of huge jumbo frets and a 15 degree radius. It was a set neck unlike most Telecasters and just didn't seem substantial enough. I had a set of open coil humbuckers and a push pull tone control that let you get single coil or hummbuckers. It was very light and didn't have a lot of resonance. Of course mine was made in Korea by Cort.
    I guess I am just not a tele type of guy.

Zman thanks for the answer because i have that same axe in amber and then neck is way to flat for me as well. I was just looking for a response from some more seasoned than I as a guitar player.

I think as much as I hate to do it I am going to sell it for a blackout Tele or Michael Kelly patriot Honestly I am leaning more towards the MK honestly since I already have 2 strats and replacing a HH style axe for another HH style axe makes the most since to me.

But thanks for answering.

Maxi.................

North of the Equator: I am a Southerner, Southern Ontario!
    Post Thanks / Like

Yea Maxi: I think the combination of the Jumbo frets and the flat neck really made it uncomfortable for me. I really didn't pay much attention back then about radius, and frets. There were several plusses with this guitar though.
    I liked the humbuckers, and the push pull switch. Up to that point I had only purchased Korean or MIM guitars from Fender. I wanted to start buying more MIA Strats and Gibbies. I get a really good trade-in value for my guitars from the shop I deal with and he had an NOS Deluxe 50th Anniversary Strat still unopened in 2006, so I jumped on it.
    I have tried to find a Tele that I liked. I want the Vintage 52 colors, with the 6 saddle bridge, 9.5 rdius neck and vintage pickups, I prefer a MIA. I don't want the SCNs or the vintage tele bridge. You would think they would make this guitar. Maybe they do now but I am not really looking. I know the 52 comes with a standard bridge and electronics kit. But I really don't like the 7.5 radius. Other than that it is the only one I have felt good playing.
    The Blues is alright!

Guitars: 1968 Gibson SG, 2005 Gibson SG Standard, 2006 Gibson LP Classic Gold top, 2004 Epiphone Elitist LP Custom, 1996 Gibson Les Paul Standard. 2001 Epiphone Sheraton II, 2007 Epiphone G400.
    Fender Strats: 1996 Fender 68 Reissue CIJ, 2008 Squier CV 50s, 2009 Squier CV 50s Tele Butterescotch Blonde

Amps: Blues Junior Special edition Jensen in Brown Tolex with Wheat front, 65 Deluxe Reverb reissue,1970 Sonax reverb by Traynor, Avatar Custom 2/12 Cabinet with Eminence Legend V1216 speakers,
    2008 DSL100 Marshall Amp , Fender Super Champ XD,Fender Vibro Champ XD

Effects and Pedals: Fulltone Fulldrive II, Fulltone OCD, Fulltone Mini Deja Vibe, Fulltone Fat Boost, Dunlop Crybaby Wah, Boss DS1, Boss DD20 Giga Delay, Boss TU2 tuner, Boss BD2, Ibanez TS9 Tube screamer, Zoom 505. Radial tonebone hot british.

Post Thanks / Like

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by ragnarpk
    it all depends on the finish.... i like sunburst teles, or those awesome rosewood ones, that are just natural looking.. but i would never buy just a black telecaster, for instance. meh.
    Different strokes.

Then again, I can make anything look good.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by street music
    TRY THAT AGAIN THERE KODIAK????
    Woops, I appear to have left out a word...I meant I'll NEVER say anything bad about their sound. :

Teles sound great. Too many great tele players out there to name that have changed music forever (Keith Richards comes to mind) to say anything bad about teles.

As for their looks, however, I don't find them ugly or anything, just kinda bland. They don't reach out and grab me. Then again, I used to not care for the SG look but my opinion on that has changed as of late. Probably will for teles someday too.
    -Kodiak
    Guitars:
    Washburn Idol 64 DL w/GFS Dream 180 pups
    Washburn X-33 w/GFS 60's-70's Grey Bottom Non Stagger Overwound
    Stagg G300 SG w/GFS Power Rails
    Art & Lutherie Acoustic

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast