Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Tele - Ugly or Beautiful? - Page 5
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Tele - Ugly or Beautiful?

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Kodiak3D
    As for their looks, however, I don't find them ugly or anything, just kinda bland. They don't reach out and grab me. Then again, I used to not care for the SG look but my opinion on that has changed as of late. Probably will for teles someday too.
    Fwiw, I think this is pretty common for Teles. I didn't get my first Tele until I'd been playing in bands for over 15 years, and was a couple years past 35!

I currently have 3 Teles. I can't say that of any other guitar.

Post Thanks / Like

Borderline ugly and uninspiringly plain. It's also my favorite guitar. When I went to buy my second guitar 20 years ago I had enough cash for a "pretty" Rickenbacker. When it came to playing, I hated the Rick, played the LP models, Strat etc. Finally picked up the Tele as there was nothing left. It was beautiful after all (to play anyway)!

A Tele is the real deal. Unpretentious (at least it was when I paid $450 for a new Am Std), nothing superfluous. Just a plain, great guitar.

Post Thanks / Like

I agree I love my 2 teles...........here is koa in her new home(ugly and plain I dont think so ) taken yesterday..its hard being a "pimp"..I am getting ready to purge I think: ..... a few guits maybe..not her fo-sho....so im taken updated pics for inventory

"I love being alive and I will be the best man I possibly can. I will take love wherever I find it and offer it to whoever will take it... seek knowledge from those wiser and teach those who wish to learn from me."
    "Develop your talent, man, and leave the world something. Records are really gifts from people. To think that an artist would love you enough to share his music with anyone is a beautiful thing."
    Duane Skydog Allman

You come to a point in your life when you really don't care what people think about you, you just care what you think about yourself." - Evel Knievel

Post Thanks / Like

ok mudcat, I see your point. Yours at least is neither ugly or plain. Very nice, dare I say even "pretty"...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mrmudcat
    I agree I love my 2 teles...........here is koa in her new home(ugly and plain I dont think so ) taken yesterday..its hard being a "pimp"..I am getting ready to purge I think: ..... a few guits maybe..not her fo-sho....so im taken updated pics for inventory

Lookout......Muddy is fixing to go wife shopping :-)
    Guitars: 2002 Les Paul Studio Limited Color's Edition | 2004 Greg Bennett Avion Les Paul Copy | S101 Telecaster project | 2004 Washburn D46 Acoustic

Amplification: Epiphone Valve Jr. Head and Cabinet | VOX AD30VT

Effects: Rocktron Delay | BBE Free Fuzz | Big Muff Pi | Boss Flanger | Bad Monkey | Jekyll and Hyde | Cry Baby Wah | Boss EQ | Behrenger TU300 Tuner |

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by syo
    ok mudcat, I see your point. Yours at least is neither ugly or plain. Very nice, dare I say even "pretty"...

No worries brother........I think Krashes black tele is "pretty" and has a Clash thing going on,beautiful is in the eye of the beholder
    "I love being alive and I will be the best man I possibly can. I will take love wherever I find it and offer it to whoever will take it... seek knowledge from those wiser and teach those who wish to learn from me."
    "Develop your talent, man, and leave the world something. Records are really gifts from people. To think that an artist would love you enough to share his music with anyone is a beautiful thing."
    Duane Skydog Allman

You come to a point in your life when you really don't care what people think about you, you just care what you think about yourself." - Evel Knievel

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by syo
    Yes, the wood is pretty, but it still has that silly pickguard & cutaway.

I want it.
    I pick a moon dog.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mrmudcat

nice axe

Post Thanks / Like

Here s my new lookin Tele ...

Mr. Telecaster

My SoundClick -- Rubber Band -- Jazz Trio

--Quebec made 1978 Norman B-30 , Martin Dc 15E , Suzuki Archtop
    -- Fender Start Reissue 57 , Ibanez AR 300 , Peavy Falcon ,Xaviere Xv600,
    -- Fender Telecaster , Charvel_Jackson , Framus Lapsteel
    --Rc boost,Ts9 ,Coolcat-ToD,GGG Fuzz Face, Boss Ce2 , Rc Booster ,Tone driver , Boss dd2 , Boss Gt8 (effects _effects loop)
    --Amp:Traynor Ycv40 wr -- Blackstar HT5-- Car :Toyota Tercel 1999..

/ `--'(
    < [] []////////|:::-)
    \_.--.(

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Blaze
    Here s my new lookin Tele ...

Oh yum!

Desert sand?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Krashpad
    Oh yum!

Desert sand?
    Yes, very nice. Me Likey.

Did I mention the goofy headstock?
    I pick a moon dog.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I watched last night "Wings to Wheels", the making of Born to Run, and it made me want a tele again. Some great footage of the process of making that album, and a lot of Bruce working things out on a piano, and his tele, which he says has a broadcaster neck.
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Amphs: Peavey Classic 30, '61 Fender Concert
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

love is the answer, at least for most of the questions in my heart. . .
    - j. johnson

North of the Equator: I am a Southerner, Southern Ontario!
    Post Thanks / Like

In reading the book the Stratocaster Chronicles, it talks about Leo Fender and his frist guitar the Broadcaster. Leo of course was an Engineer and not a musician. He could NOT play guitar. The Statocaster was in Leo's words the evolution of the Telecaster. What a lot of people don't realize was that the Tele/Broadcaster was a more mass production oriented than the orginal custom guitars produced by Paul Bigsby. Leo acquired one of Bigsby's guitars before he engineered the Broadcaster.
    Here are some quotes about the Broadcaster/Tele.

"I took the first guitar to the 1950 music trade show, and it was, "What's that thing?" We got all kinds of comments. "Do you paddle your canoe with that thing? Swat flies?" They all laughed." -Don Randall (head of marketing)

"When Leo's guitar came out we weren't too surprised, because we were familiar with the Custom solidbodies Paul Bigsby built. We discovered that out in California there were solidbody guitars and they were beginning to get a little section of the business away from us, so we decided that we had to do something to compete with what Leo Fender was doing. We had to buck this competition from the West Coast." -fomer Gibson president Ted McCarty, on the origin of the Les Paul.

"That thing 'll never sell." -Fred Gretsch to Harmony's Jay Krause, upon seeing the Broadcaster for the first time.

It was funny because Leo thought that the Strat would make the Tele obsolete.
    I just thought I would add this. All of it comes from the book The Stratocaster Chronicles by Tom Wheeler. A great read.
    Also some intersting reading. Make sure you note the time line.
    http://www.bigsbyguitars.com/vibe/?page_id=3
    This one as well. Check out the 1947 Bigsby guitar.
    http://www.stratcollector.com/newsde...es/000103.html
    Last edited by ZMAN; October 1st, 2009 at 08:40 AM.
    The Blues is alright!

Guitars: 1968 Gibson SG, 2005 Gibson SG Standard, 2006 Gibson LP Classic Gold top, 2004 Epiphone Elitist LP Custom, 1996 Gibson Les Paul Standard. 2001 Epiphone Sheraton II, 2007 Epiphone G400.
    Fender Strats: 1996 Fender 68 Reissue CIJ, 2008 Squier CV 50s, 2009 Squier CV 50s Tele Butterescotch Blonde

Amps: Blues Junior Special edition Jensen in Brown Tolex with Wheat front, 65 Deluxe Reverb reissue,1970 Sonax reverb by Traynor, Avatar Custom 2/12 Cabinet with Eminence Legend V1216 speakers,
    2008 DSL100 Marshall Amp , Fender Super Champ XD,Fender Vibro Champ XD

Effects and Pedals: Fulltone Fulldrive II, Fulltone OCD, Fulltone Mini Deja Vibe, Fulltone Fat Boost, Dunlop Crybaby Wah, Boss DS1, Boss DD20 Giga Delay, Boss TU2 tuner, Boss BD2, Ibanez TS9 Tube screamer, Zoom 505. Radial tonebone hot british.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by sunvalleylaw
    I watched last night "Wings to Wheels", the making of Born to Run, and it made me want a tele again. Some great footage of the process of making that album, and a lot of Bruce working things out on a piano, and his tele, which he says has a broadcaster neck.
    Watching that vid made me want one, and listening to the second side of Abbey Road again yesterday. : : : I love the feel of my strat, and do not know how to work teles yet, but there are some awesome tones available from them.
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Amphs: Peavey Classic 30, '61 Fender Concert
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

love is the answer, at least for most of the questions in my heart. . .
    - j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

Watching that vid made me want one, and listening to the second side of Abbey Road again yesterday. : : : I love the feel of my strat, and do not know how to work teles yet, but there are some awesome tones available from them.

Hey Sun,

Here s a little something i ve made with my new lookin tele on a Guitar Center King of the Blues B.T. few months ago..
    Hope it will make you want one ,Tele does have awesone tones..

A Road To You
    My SoundClick -- Rubber Band -- Jazz Trio

--Quebec made 1978 Norman B-30 , Martin Dc 15E , Suzuki Archtop
    -- Fender Start Reissue 57 , Ibanez AR 300 , Peavy Falcon ,Xaviere Xv600,
    -- Fender Telecaster , Charvel_Jackson , Framus Lapsteel
    --Rc boost,Ts9 ,Coolcat-ToD,GGG Fuzz Face, Boss Ce2 , Rc Booster ,Tone driver , Boss dd2 , Boss Gt8 (effects _effects loop)
    --Amp:Traynor Ycv40 wr -- Blackstar HT5-- Car :Toyota Tercel 1999..

/ `--'(
    < [] []////////|:::-)
    \_.--.(

Post Thanks / Like

The tone control is your friend. Who needs humbuckers
    Electric: Fat strat > Korg PB > TS7 > DS1 > DD-20 > Cube 60 (Fender model)

Acoustic: Guitar > microphone > audience

Post Thanks / Like

My main guitar is a tele. It is a simple MIM Standard, in Desert Sand. I love it.

The tele is such a beautiful guitar, simple, elegant, and unpretentious. While being heavy enough and sharp enough (treble wise) to let you know she is around.

The one thing I don't like (and maybe this is my string choice or just my poor playing) is that the bass E 6th string can sometimes choke out upwards and over the neck radius.

Post Thanks / Like

Great looking, sounding, playing guitar design, with an ugly (to me) head stock shape. Fortunately I don't choose an instrument primarily on looks.

Post Thanks / Like

younger brother recently acquired a Black one with white guard.she sure is pretty,can't beat the action on it either.
    Life is like a camera, just focus on what’s important and capture the good times, develop from the negatives and if things don’t work out, just take another shot. ~ Anonymous

Guitars: 1967(year they came out): Fender Coronado II Wildwood I ,Fullerton ST- 4 Fat Strat , Esteban Legacy acous/elec,99 MIA Standard Fender Strat
    Amph's Original Roland Cube 15,Drive 30 w/spring reverb

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast